Wood furniture for my brand new Saiga-12...?

Hey guys,

I just joined this forum and donated $5 for a membership because of everything that I have learned over the past few weeks. There is a lot of good information here regarding these awesome rifles. In my state, I cannot convert this shotgun to take a pistol grip and I have come to terms with that. I would however like to put a wood stock set on my Saiga-12 to give it a more sporter look. Can anyone give me some suggestions to companies that make wood stock sets for unconverted Saiga-12 gauge shotguns? Thanks in advance.

~ISherman

• Like 1

Get a wood stock set for a 308... and a few minutes of dremel work, and it will hook right up... :up:

There are some posts on this in the S12 section... Check one of them out here...

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=38842&st=0&p=348704&hl=wood&fromsearch=1entry348704

:smoke:

Battlerifleg3 (spelling?) could probably make that for you. Send him a pm. You can go onto Dinzags webpage, click funiture, and then click on battlerifles link. You can see his examples and get his email address off of there.

its best to email him and get on his email list... battlerifleg3@hotmail.com

Get a wood stock set for a 308... and a few minutes of dremel work, and it will hook right up... :up:

There are some posts on this in the S12 section... Check one of them out here...

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=38842&st=0&p=348704&hl=wood&fromsearch=1entry348704

:smoke:

Sorry for jacking your pics but man that S12K looking handguard you have on the .410 is sexy. Did battlerifleg3 make that set for you? I was thinking about finally converting the S12 and adding some wood furniture to it with a thumbhole stock to stay compliant. Still unable to locate a bulgarian THS.

post-16002-12662450876433_thumb.jpg

Does your state allow the dragunov type stocks?

I am not sure. Are they considered pistol grips? Here is how the assault weapons statute reads:

© A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:

(i) A folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; and

(iv) An ability to accept a detachable magazine; or

So you can have one, ie one being the detachable magazine. I am not sure of the dragunov type stocks.

~ISherman

I am not sure. Are they considered pistol grips? Here is how the assault weapons statute reads:

© A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:

(i) A folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; and

(iv) An ability to accept a detachable magazine; or

So you can have one, ie one being the detachable magazine. I am not sure of the dragunov type stocks.

~ISherman

Well, they can be questionable in certain states. Your best bet IMO, is to tell us what state you are in and then find out what other guys are doing in the same state.

• 7 months later...

The dichotomy on thumbholes tends to be something like this:

They were considered "sporting" enough that a given gun could be imported with a thumbhole but not a pistol grip, per the import ban, that acts as a moving target because something new is always being cut off from import while items already here are fine.

But under the expired 1994 AW ban, there was an opinion issued that a thumbhole stock counts as a pistol grip, and therefore takes up your one allowed feature (where applicable.)

So a MAK-90 could be imported under the '89 import ban (until banned by exec order) with a thumbhole stock and 100% imported parts. But that thumbhole stock is a pistol grip per the '94 ban, so you can't add anything else, no matter how many parts you replace with US made. You could go the US compliance route just to change to a regular p-grip, it's one-to-one.

Now that the federal AW ban is gone, anyone living in a free state can just watch their parts compliance and not worry, as long as their gun is semi-auto only and has a barrel length minimum 16" (18" for shotguns). However, if you live in a state that copied the expired federal ban, you have your state's own justice department to try to get answers from.

One rule of thumb WAS (pun intended) that if the thumb was below the top of the trigger, it was a pistol grip. A number of stock sets have been designed specifically with this criteria in mind, keeping the bottom of the thumb groove above the height of the trigger.

Hey guys,

I just joined this forum and donated $5 for a membership because of everything that I have learned over the past few weeks. There is a lot of good information here regarding these awesome rifles. In my state, I cannot convert this shotgun to take a pistol grip and I have come to terms with that. I would however like to put a wood stock set on my Saiga-12 to give it a more sporter look. Can anyone give me some suggestions to companies that make wood stock sets for unconverted Saiga-12 gauge shotguns? Thanks in advance.

~ISherman

http://www.troupsystems.com/saiga.htm

I have that set, and love it.

Hey guys,

~ISherman

saiga1.jpg

I have that set, from Rhineland Arms Inc. and love it.

Saiga stock set (stock and handguards) $135

Saiga rear stock ony, complete $100

Saiga handguards only $35

Fixed it for ya'.

Their PSL rear stock gives me wood for PSLs or .308s :)

pslstock.jpg

Edited by Paulyski

The dichotomy on thumbholes tends to be something like this:

They were considered "sporting" enough that a given gun could be imported with a thumbhole but not a pistol grip, per the import ban, that acts as a moving target because something new is always being cut off from import while items already here are fine.

But under the expired 1994 AW ban, there was an opinion issued that a thumbhole stock counts as a pistol grip, and therefore takes up your one allowed feature (where applicable.)

So a MAK-90 could be imported under the '89 import ban (until banned by exec order) with a thumbhole stock and 100% imported parts. But that thumbhole stock is a pistol grip per the '94 ban, so you can't add anything else, no matter how many parts you replace with US made. You could go the US compliance route just to change to a regular p-grip, it's one-to-one.

Now that the federal AW ban is gone, anyone living in a free state can just watch their parts compliance and not worry, as long as their gun is semi-auto only and has a barrel length minimum 16" (18" for shotguns). However, if you live in a state that copied the expired federal ban, you have your state's own justice department to try to get answers from.

One rule of thumb WAS (pun intended) that if the thumb was below the top of the trigger, it was a pistol grip. A number of stock sets have been designed specifically with this criteria in mind, keeping the bottom of the thumb groove above the height of the trigger.

I've fount that there was a ruling under 922r that clasified thumbhole stocks as 2 parts (A pistol grip and a buttstock). However this was a rulling on 922r, not the AWB. This is further complicated by the AWBs wording of a "Pistol grip which protrudes conspicuously below the action of the gun".

I am familiar with other importation bans specificly stating specific guns.

would you mind documenting a source?

Fixed it for ya'.

pslstock.jpg

Well, that depends on the 308 you have, no? RAAC page shows a "Saiga 308 ver 21" which looks like it accepts ordinary PSL type furniture. The "Saiga 308" has the trigger moved back with the normal hunting stock, so there you'd need the "Saiga Scout" stock.

Fixed it for ya'.

pslstock.jpg

Well, that depends on the 308 you have, no? RAAC page shows a "Saiga 308 ver 21" which looks like it accepts ordinary PSL type furniture. The "Saiga 308" has the trigger moved back with the normal hunting stock, so there you'd need the "Saiga Scout" stock.

No. I just figure people will get tired of their gun looking ghey real quick, so they'll get bored with the lazy man's stock, so I would never even consider not converting.

Otherwise the stock you recommend would appeal to me.

Having known the difference though, it would never even be an option for me.

ETA, if I built a .308, I would notch the receiver & reinforce it to mimic the PSL.

But I think it would be better for me personally, just to get a PSL & that stock.

Edited by Paulyski

No. I just figure people will get tired of their gun looking ghey real quick, so they'll get bored with the lazy man's stock, so I would never even consider not converting.

Otherwise the stock you recommend would appeal to me.

Having known the difference though, it would never even be an option for me.

ETA, if I built a .308, I would notch the receiver & reinforce it to mimic the PSL.

But I think it would be better for me personally, just to get a PSL & that stock.

Oh, well yeah.. but the OP asked about unconverted stocks.

I would like to convert my Saiga one day. But not until I move to a free state.. not enough thumbhole choices to get around be bored with it! :)

Even then; I like the BHO where it is (I work it with my right hand middle finger) .. if it were up in the rear corner of the trigger area that would feel cramped to me. I'd have to notch the safety then, I guess.

Edited by Michael Graffam