Using the Romanian Folding Stock...Tomac?

Hey, I'm considering switching to the Romanian folding stock, now that my ACE has rattled loose under recoil from slugs. I know that Tomac swears by them, so I have some questions:

1) Can all the controls be actuated with the stock folded?

2) How painful is the recoil using the Bulgarian strap-on recoil pad?

3) Where does one get those pads?

4) Can you obtain any kind of cheek weld? Does this bother you or affect your accuracy with slugs?

5) Does the stock attach with threaded holes, or nuts in a channel-clamp hold like the ACE? I don't like the channel arrangement of the ACE AK reciever block. Too easy to come loose.

6) If someone could whip up a cheekrest attachment for AMD-65 and Romy stocks that didn't interfere with the controls, and maybe held a cleaning kit, would anyone buy it?

I've got an East German folder that is almost identical to the Romy folder except for the paddle release. The cheek weld stings as it smacks your face and it digs into your shoulder. This is 7.62x39 with the matching parts it was built for. It's built solid as a rock but I wouldn't put it on my S12. The recoil pads are sold by K-Var.

Not sure about selling the ACE yet. I may try to switch to the tangless receiver block (even though I have no plans to cut the tang). I'm not sure, but I think the tangless block uses holes to attach instead of a channel and nut. Does anyone have experience with the tangless block? Does it only have one screw attachment or another one on the bottom or somewhere else?

The reason I didn't loctite the ACE was because I wanted to be able to put it on whichever AK was going with me at the time. MOST of the time it's my SAR-3, but occasionally it will be the Saiga or SAR-1. I might try the Romy folder though, if I can set up with the recoil and cheek pads to stop the bruising. Depends on if the ACE tangless block will work for me.

ForGreatJustice would you be interested in selling your Ace

ForGreatJustice,

After cutting the tang flush, you have only the forward screw hole in the rear trunnion remaining. But the receiver block is a nice, tight fit and the T-Nut for the pistol grip goes through a cut in the front of the block also to help secure it.

Hey, I'm considering switching to the Romanian folding stock, now that my ACE has rattled loose under recoil from slugs.  I know that Tomac swears by them, so I have some questions:

1) Can all the controls be actuated with the stock folded?

*Yes, although obviously the safety is a little more inconvenient to reach when the stock's folded.

2) How painful is the recoil using the Bulgarian strap-on recoil pad?

*Without the Bulgy recoil pad I can go 30-35rds of full-power slug/buck before I begin to feel it. W/the recoil pad attached I can shoot all day (YMMV).

3) Where does one get those pads?

*K-Var sells them: http://www.k-var.com/product.asp?0=216&1=227&3=191

4)  Can you obtain any kind of cheek weld?  Does this bother you or affect your accuracy with slugs?

*The Romy folder's strut is offset to the left instead of centered like on the EG folder and I find this gives better cheekweld, especially when using the PK-AS sight. It doesn't seem to affect accuracy w/slugs but then I haven't done a benchrest comparison between the std buttstock & Romy folder. My cheek on the strut isn't bothered by recoil at all. In fact I rubber-dipped the strut purely for protection from temperature extremes (very hot or cold metal against the cheek, you know...)

5)  Does the stock attach with threaded holes, or nuts in a channel-clamp hold like the ACE?  I don't like the channel arrangement of the ACE AK reciever block.  Too easy to come loose.

*It attaches with the std AK buttstock holes so installation is a snap & doesn't require any mods to the Saiga. However, I found that recoil can cause the screws to loosen unless you lock 'em down w/Loctite or something similar.

6)  If someone could whip up a cheekrest attachment for AMD-65 and Romy stocks that didn't interfere with the controls, and maybe held a cleaning kit, would anyone buy it?

*Personally, I'd be more interested in a thinner strap-on recoil pad so you can fully fold the Romy stock (Bulgy pad's too thick to for the stock to fold enough to lock in the folded position) *and* maybe hold a cleaning kit???

Tomac

One more question:

HOw much LOP does the Bulgy pad add?

Only about 1/2" by my measurements.

Tomac

Edited to add: I wonder how difficult it would be to add a std rubber AK recoil pad to the Romy folder? It's thinner width-wise so you should be able to fully fold/lock the folder and it's thicker for a longer LOP. It would probably require drilling 2 holes in the Romy folder but that's no big deal. Hmmm....

Edited by Tomac

post-179-1112560249.jpgI considered adapting one of those made for an AR15 or T6 stock that Tapco sells..

But have yet to order one yet..Or those 1" pads that Ace limited sells for the SOCOM adjuster..they also come in 1/2"..

it work real good on my ithaca 37 M&P 8 shot

• 2 weeks later...
Edited to add: I wonder how difficult it would be to add a std rubber AK recoil pad to the Romy folder? It's thinner width-wise so you should be able to fully fold/lock the folder and it's thicker for a longer LOP. It would probably require drilling 2 holes in the Romy folder but that's no big deal. Hmmm...

did you ever do that? great idea!

6) If someone could whip up a cheekrest attachment for AMD-65 and Romy stocks that didn't interfere with the controls, and maybe held a cleaning kit, would anyone buy it?

yes, definitely!

Edited by hardcorps1775

I have a Romy folder on a .308 and s12 Saiga both with the strap on recoil pad and can shoot all day without any noticeable recoil issues. Cheek weld was an issue however so I picked up a 6' length of the smallest diameter pipe insulation from Lowe's and cut a section to fit from the tang to the triangle of the butt. I wraped it with black duct tape and solved the problem. It may not be pretty but I like function more than form.

My solution.

31291ParacordRomy-med.jpg

Just a simple paracord wrap. First time I've done one but it didn't come out too bad I guess. It does improve cheek weld and makes it a bit more comfortable.

Wish I could give you guys a real picture of it on the gun but I don't have a camera. Had to pop it in the scanner.

Shep

My solution.

31291ParacordRomy-med.jpg

Just a simple paracord wrap. First time I've done one but it didn't come out too bad I guess. It does improve cheek weld and makes it a bit more comfortable.

Wish I could give you guys a real picture of it on the gun but I don't have a camera. Had to pop it in the scanner.

Shep

Is there anything that you can't use 550 cord for? Very nice, BTW.

1st