Just got one

I was in the gun shop the other day picking up a few things when I saw a new saiga 12. My friend has had one for a while, converted with all the drums and mags you could want. I always wanted one but his seemed to take an amful lot of work to get it reliable. The shop guy said he'd sell it for $450 so I went ahead and bought it on an impulse buy. I loved shooting my friends after he got it working reliable so I know I have some good times ahead. I guess the first thing I need to do is breaking it in and worry about mods later. So what do you guys recommend? About a hundred shots of what type of ammo? I've read through all of these threads until I'm dizzy. I can't wait to get out to shoot it.

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the saiga addiction. Start with 200 or so rounds of high brass like slugs or 00 buck to break in your new gun on gas setting 1. Then try some bird shot on setting 2. Depending on what you get, you may need some additional mods. Track how many failures you get, and keep track of failures to eject vs failure to feed depending on your gas settings and ammo selection. Both types of failures can mean polishing is required, but were is dependent on the issue. See my article in my signature for my 2 cents on break in etc. You dont have to follow all the mods (you will find people are pretty opinionated as to how and what they will do to their guns around here) , but it gives you an idea what you could do. Stick mags should be used at first while you troubleshoot, and remember that the factory 5 rounder is likely the most reliable mag to use. Anything over 10 rounds and drums can be a bit testy at first and can require adjustment depending on your gun, ammo selection etc so I tend to avoid those if I am trying to root cause a problem. You will work out the bugs and then be able to enjoy most any well made mag or the md drum.

Most of all, have fun, and get ready to impress your friends and spend cash on mags, accessories etc for your new toy!

• Like 1

Welcome to the Addiction! Better build up the ol' bank account; these things are like Lay's potato chips... you can't stop with just one! :up:

First, remove your gas setting plug and see if you have 3 or 4 holes in the gas tube. If you don't, contact CGW to get a service done on it as they are the RAAC certified warranty center.

Then, if it does have at least 3 holes for the gasses, I recommend you go to your local WallyWorld, buy a couple bulk packs of Federal 7-1/2 shot, and cycle the heck out of your new shotty. That ought to break 'im in real good.

Thanks men. Good advice. I dn't know how to check for the ports but I will read around some and see if I can figure it out. If that checks out, I plan to give it a workout this weekend.

Check out this thread:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=37553

Pay attention to post #9. When you unscrew and remove the gas setting selector, the gas ports are on the inside of the gas tube, just beyond the threads for the setting selector, labeled "Gas-In-Port". You'll have to use some sort of mirror to see the number of ports your gun has. You can see one port in the picture in post #9.