Vertical grips Pros and Cons with each brand

I have fitted my drums and now realize the necessity of a a vertical fore grip. I am considering a light to add some weight and hopefully reduce muzzle flip. I'd like to know what you use and both the pros and cons with your vertical grip(s).

Two primary questions I have follow: First, is a grip with finger grooves preferred or should I stay with a smoothe post, why? Secondly, what light did you choose to accompany your grip?

Much thanks.

-michael

I have a Larue Tactical VFG and a FenixTA30 for light (mounted on a Kross

tri-rail) and I think theyre perfect for my S12. I tried them on my SGL and

No-way, but I love em on the S12! The Larue was pricey but top notch!

post-16933-12662917931927_thumb.jpgpost-16933-12662918316507_thumb.jpg

I dont have a drum but I think if I was to get one I'd try an offset mount

for the VFG.

BTW you'll definitely want to get a VFG with a heavy duty mount, if you get a

cheepy I doubt it would last long!

Edited by vinnivanhood

I have a CHAOS made vert front grip, from solid aluminum. I doubt I can break it before I break what its mounted to......my saiga just became dual purpose, and is a knight stick, as well!!!

Im sure we can get Mr Cameron to make a shorty vert grip as well, if we really had a need for one....

AS FAR AS I KNOW - CHAOS is the ONLY manufacturer of an all-metal vertical grip.

+1000 from me.

post-83-12662930109_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I have an all-aluminum vertical grip with a short integrated rail designed specifically for light attachment. I don't know who manufactures it, but it's marketed by Streamlight as their model # 69114. I find it has a good gripping surface, and it's narrower at the top to allow more vertical control. The rail positions the light (in my case, a TLR-2) in a good spot for convenient left-thumb control.

I'm hooked on Tango Down stubbies. I got 1 "used" (it was only opened) for like $25 on another forum and just bought my others new. They're great for AK's, because they're short and don't interfere with the rock-n-lock mag insertion.

Also, Magpul has their AFG (angled fore-grip) out now, which is also perfect for AK's (unless you're the type to "full-fist" your VFG's, then the AFG is not for you). It's cheap and it has Magpul quality. Win-win. I know a few people here are rocking them on their Saigas.

I had a cheapo VFG on my S12 for a little while. It was long, and because of where I like my VFG's, it did interfere with mag insertion. So I had to swap it out with a stubby. Everyone puts their VFG's in different places, so for someone who puts theirs a little further out on the rail, a long VFG may not be a problem. Also, I know a few other members here have long(ish) VFG's on an offset mount. So it's canted to the side, and doesn't interfere with mag insertion, regardless of where you put it, so they say. (Although I'm assuming it would still be in the way of a drum, if the grip were really close to the magwell)

AS FAR AS I KNOW - CHAOS is the ONLY manufacturer of an all-metal vertical grip.

Spikes makes an all-metal VFG too.

But I love the looks of Cameron's.................and I have to second the "Make a stubby!!" comment.

The KZ stubby at Botach Tactical is solid and a great deal at $25. With most AK platforms the stubby is the best route due to the foreword rock and lock mags.

Botach has a hit or miss reputation, I've purchased two of these at different times with no problems.

post-1866-12664526937592_thumb.jpg

Edited by 6500rpm
Non-Buisness member Link Removed

The KZ stubby at Botach Tactical is solid and a great deal at $25. With most AK platforms the stubby is the best route due to the foreword rock and lock mags.

Botach has a hit or miss reputation, I've purchased two of these at different times with no problems.

I was going to recommend these as well. Very nice and solid for $25. Hard to beat that price.

aluminum stubby option from Spikes. Gonna go with it for my S-17 8" SBS.

I have their "old" stubby. The one they had before they came out with that combo-grip you linked to. It still wasn't short enough for my personal liking. But it's rock solid.