5.45x39 Muzzle Brake Thread Options??

Ok. I have a 5.45x39 on the way.

I read on here that someone said the std. 14 LH will not be able to thread onto the 5.45 bbl.

I don't want to change the FSB to a different one.

I don't mind threading to a xx thread and going UP to the 24mm model with an adaptor.

Has anyone threaded the FACTORY barrel and got either the 14 or 24 brakes/hiders to go on??

Haven't seen this posted yet so....

We are providing this service at Cadiz Gun Works for 125$. The barrel OD is thicker than standard AK74, so Tom has made jigs for his monster of a lathe just for this specific gun, and can and will cut your threads to AK or M16 threading with this method.

The 5.45 Barrel WILL INDEED take a 14x1 LH thread with a standard pipe threader from Dinzag, rented for only $30 + $5 shipping, assuming you don't break anything. That is just misinformation that you will need to have this sent out to a gunsmith and done with special tools.

FYI you cannot legally bring a pistol gripped Saiga with a threaded barrel in NJ. The threaded barrel itself is considered a feature of an assault weapon, not just the flash suppressor ("A flash suppressor, or threaded barrel intended to accommodate a flash suppressor") and makes the firearm illegal. You must permanently attach it to the barrel either by brazing with silver at 1200+ degrees (which I did, the torch solder and flux needed came out to about $75) 4 equilateral spot welds, a continuos weld running greater than 50% of the circumference of the barrel, or pinned into place like the FSB and GB are.

All you need is #TK1410545 and twenty minutes.

http://www.dinzagarms.com/tools/tkr.html

Here's a picture of mine

Edited by Klassy Kalashnikov

Klassy.

I could bring a stock/factory Saiga to NJ though and do the brake/threading with welding it on. (Brother-in-law has welding equipment so thats a no promblemo'.)

Then do/add the PG and conversion later on..035.gif

I may/may not even do this. I was just probing the forum for people whom have done it with 14LH..

I'm gathering the threading is like tapping the b-guide.. Take time and lots of OIL and 1/4 turn type thing..??

Klassy.

I could bring a stock/factory Saiga to NJ though and do the brake/threading with welding it on. (Brother-in-law has welding equipment so thats a no promblemo'.)

Then do/add the PG and conversion later on..035.gif

I may/may not even do this. I was just probing the forum for people whom have done it with 14LH..

I'm gathering the threading is like tapping the b-guide.. Take time and lots of OIL and 1/4 turn type thing..??

Yes, that's exactly how I did it. Brake first, then conversion.

Yeah, pretty much, the main thing is making sure to only make 4-5 threads with the bore guide in, and the die loosened just a little bit, then unscrew and remove the guide, tighten up the die, and go the rest of the way without it, to make sure you do not break the die by bottoming it out. After that, just a 1/4 turn, a 1/4 back, rinse and repeat. It goes really quick. You should definitely try it.

Edited by Klassy Kalashnikov
  • 2 weeks later...