My Quest for the Ultimate Saiga 12 is done...

As some of you know from ARFCOM when I find something I like, I will tweek it until I have it just the way I like it. I started with and kick ass Tromix S17. Now many will say that nothing needs to make an S17 better but I always want my stuff just the way i like it.. So here are some photos and comments as to what I did to my S17.

First of all here is a photo of my S17

DSCF2689.jpg

I have always thought that the "safety" on an AK/saiga just plain sucks.... Well What I did was add an "AK extended safety latch" What this did was for me to move the safety from fire to safe with one finger. Also if you look at the photos close you will see an allen screw that is a safety stop so that the safety does not over travel. Now my safety works as easy as an "AR" safety..

DSCF2690.jpg

DSCF2691.jpg

DSCF2688.jpg

Now some of you have posted that you want a rail so to put an "Red Dot" on your shotgun... Well COBRA did this work for me and what a great job he did. If you want a rail for your Saiga, he is you man for the job... Also I went with an Trijicon RMR 7.0MOA dot for my sight and i love it.. You may notice that I opened my HK sights because my Trijicon sits so low as the way I wanted it to...

DSCF2693.jpg

DSCF2694.jpg

The rail that i am using can now be ordered from Tromix and is called "Hellion" Made from "AU" it is light and strong and works great for what ever you want to put on it...Also note the MD ARMS Gunfixers Improved Gas Plug. If you do not have one....GET ONE!!!!!!!!!

DSCF2692.jpg

DSCF2698.jpg

I also bought from "COBRA" an S-12 Winchoke adaptor. Im running a Full choke in it and shoots sick patterns with 00 loads. The light I have is a Surefire Scout Light with an LaRue mount for those that have a light fetish....

DSCF2692.jpg

One of the last things I did and the biggest was to cut off my charging handle and move it to the left side of the gun. Its just what I wanted and the more I shoot it the more I like it. Charging the handle is so easy and everyone that has tried it loves it too. I cut the handle off with a dremel and cut the top cover with it and a ruler.

I had the "Tig" work done by a friend and I refinished the bare metal myself..

DSCF2655.jpg

DSCF2656.jpg

The last two things I did was fit a limbsaver pad to the stock and that makes a world of differance with the recoil and everyone should have one.... The other was polish the internals and make everything as smooth inside as I could and my S17 runs like a raped ape...

DSCF2699.jpg

DSCF2700.jpg

Well thats about it..........cant wait to run a few matches with her in the next month....027.gif

Slug-O

Edited by Slug-O

Im suprised you were willing to take the risk putting a choke on souch a short barrel. Have you shot it?

When I brought up the idea of puting a full choke on my 8in tony said he wouldent warrenty it. This was back when he did custom work. The pressure is a lot higher and that choke or something else may give.

I decided aganst it because I diden't want to lose a great gun, all that money, and risk injury. You can still get tighter groups with Federal Flight Control buckshot, or Hornady TAP, without a choke.

Edited by mike123456

Im suprised you were willing to take the risk putting a choke on souch a short barrel. Have you shot it?

When I brought up the idea of puting a full choke on my 8in tony said he wouldent warrenty it. This was back when he did custom work. The pressure is a lot higher and that choke or something else may give.

I decided aganst it because I diden't want to lose a great gun, all that money, and risk injury. You can still get tighter groups with Federal Flight Control buckshot, or Hornady TAP, without a choke.

I run the choke for 2/4 birdshot when shooting steel at run and gun shoots.....035.gif

Can you take a picture of that saftey stop, does it go through the receiver? I like the idea, but don't want to expirement if someone else has already figured it out, lol

thanks

Ed

firebird455@gmail.com

I will be home after 5Pm today and will post full photos of this for you...

Nice build.

I see you left a chunk of the side rail on? I know that goes into the rear trunnion. What I did when I remove my side rail was ground it off and then drilled and tapped it and ran a small bolt in. Looks factory.

I ran out of rivits to fill that hole. When I get one thats comming off...

My Quest for the Ultimate Saiga 12 is done...

BS! You started a thread after this one, where you showed how you put a CTR on it!

:D These things are never really "done". But I like both configurations you've shown in this thread, and the other. Both make me jealous that I don't live in an NFA-friendly state.