Saiga-12 with a Magpul UBR?

Anyone have a UBR on their S-12? Or has anyone seen any pics of an S-12 rocking a UBR?

I caved and put an order in earlier today for a black UBR, and am thinking about installing it on my S-12 when I leave NY. (Yeah, yeah, I know: "Keep that AR furniture off that AK!!" :bad_smile: )

Just curious if anyone has done this, or has pics. I'd love to see how it looks, and how you feel about the setup after using it.

(BTW, since I've already PM'ed my forum homies who I know wanted a UBR and gave them a heads up...............AIM is running 20% off all UBR's, with free shipping. Put it in your cart, and put 20%OFFUBR in the coupon/promotional code section, and it will come out to $201 shipped. Smokin' deal. I think only black is left though.)

Edited by -Shooter-

I've got a magpul moe and sights on my s12, and a ctr as well as other sundries on my AR15. Magpul stuff is amazingly strong and light.

Agreed. My AR's are decked out in Magpul gear too. MOE stocks, MOE grips, MIAD grips (and a 10-pack of PMags waiting for me in SC). I love Magpul gear. I'm somewhat of a Magpul-whore, you could say :angel: .

I just want to see some pics of a UBR on an S12. Someone has to have done it.

Robert built a Saiga for a friend that has a Magpul PRS stock. Had to trim it a little to make it short enough, but it looks good and has alot of adjustment. I have Magpul grips on all my long guns and just put a green one on my Saiga since I shoot with a bunch of guys that have similar Saigas and it makes it easier to find in the rack.

Doug

Robert built a Saiga for a friend that has a Magpul PRS stock. Had to trim it a little to make it short enough, but it looks good and has alot of adjustment. I have Magpul grips on all my long guns and just put a green one on my Saiga since I shoot with a bunch of guys that have similar Saigas and it makes it easier to find in the rack.

Doug

Tell him to throw a UBR on one, so I can see it :D .

What mounting system did he use to mount the stock? That's still up in the air for me. I'm trying to decide which adapter to use to mount the UBR on my S12.

Edited by -Shooter-

FWIW, I sent a Magpul UBR rear stock to Esteban at GoGun to have him install it on the Saiga IZ-240 rifle (5.45x39) that he is converting for me. Here comes the interesting or bad news (depending on how you take it) that I received from Esteban after he took a hard look at the stock: The UBR stock isn't configured to slip onto a standard AR buffer tube like the other Magpul stocks. . . which is perhaps why it comes with its own tube (heck, for all I know all Magpul aftermarket AR rear stocks come shipped with buffer tubes). Anyway, point being is that Esteban informed me he could make the UBR stock work, providing he chopped & modified an ACE Ltd. rear folding mechanism. Apparently the ACE rear folder is configured in such a way that the UBR specific buffer tube is able to attach to it. So. . .

Providing I understood Esteban correctly months ago when he and I had the conversation, the thing to do (or at least what he is planning to do) is to separate an ACE folding mechanism into its two primary parts, and then discard the front trunion part and modify the rear part (I assume that involves some grinding and shaping) so as to weld it into place into the back of the Saiga's receiver thereby becoming the receiver's back plate. . . something to that affect.

Such is what I know or was told.

Good luck to you bro! I loved the appearance of the Magpul UBR stock as well, although it's damned pricey!

~Gary

Doug

What mounting system did he use to mount the stock? That's still up in the air for me. I'm trying to decide which adapter to use to mount the UBR on my S12.

Robert uses the R&R stock adapter that he developed. It is exactly like the rear of an AR lower so you can put any AR stock on your Saiga plus it has holes for a QD sling attachment on either side.

post-22191-12668087087184_thumb.jpg

Doug

Anyone have a UBR on their S-12? Or has anyone seen any pics of an S-12 rocking a UBR?

We put several UBRs on s-12s, all using the ACE folding mechanism. It adds a lot of weight, but very solid. It's one of the best stocks we've put on a build.

post-6356-12668250631251_thumb.jpg

Craig

FWIW, I sent a Magpul UBR rear stock to Esteban at GoGun to have him install it on the Saiga IZ-240 rifle (5.45x39) that he is converting for me. Here comes the interesting or bad news (depending on how you take it) that I received from Esteban after he took a hard look at the stock: The UBR stock isn't configured to slip onto a standard AR buffer tube like the other Magpul stocks. . . which is perhaps why it comes with its own tube (heck, for all I know all Magpul aftermarket AR rear stocks come shipped with buffer tubes). Anyway, point being is that Esteban informed me he could make the UBR stock work, providing he chopped & modified an ACE Ltd. rear folding mechanism. Apparently the ACE rear folder is configured in such a way that the UBR specific buffer tube is able to attach to it. So. . .

Providing I understood Esteban correctly months ago when he and I had the conversation, the thing to do (or at least what he is planning to do) is to separate an ACE folding mechanism into its two primary parts, and then discard the front trunion part and modify the rear part (I assume that involves some grinding and shaping) so as to weld it into place into the back of the Saiga's receiver thereby becoming the receiver's back plate. . . something to that affect.

Such is what I know or was told.

Good luck to you bro! I loved the appearance of the Magpul UBR stock as well, although it's damned pricey!

~Gary

Thanks for all the info! :D

Yes, I knew that the UBR's came with their own buffer tube (and in response to what you said; No, no other Magpul stocks come with their own buffer tube, as far as I know. I know CTR's and MOE's don't, at least). The fact that they do come with them, helped me stomach the $200 pricetag. I figured for any other stock, you're looking at $40ish for a good buffer tube anyway, so if you take that off of $200, then $160 doesn't seem too bad, IMO.

I know what you mean, I love the look of the UBR too. The UBR and SOPMOD (and the VLTOR, which looks almost identical) all look awesome.

Doug

Robert uses the R&R stock adapter that he developed. It is exactly like the rear of an AR lower so you can put any AR stock on your Saiga plus it has holes for a QD sling attachment on either side.

post-22191-12668087087184_thumb.jpg

Doug

Thanks for the pic and info. While that adapter looks nice, and I'm sure it works great, it's a tad longer than I'd like. It may just be me. I've never put an AR stock on an AK before. I'll definitely keep it in mind. I have a lot of time until I can actually put a stock and PG on my S-12 anyway (stupid NY laws prohibit PG's on semi-auto, detachable mag shotguns :rolleyes: ).

I cringe at the thought of putting any AR parts on my Saiga. I vowed that I wouldn't, but that Magpul UBR stock looks really good. I hope Magpul will make an AR stock similar to that someday. I like a lot of their stuff.

I'm not an "Ak purist" by any means. I say use what works for you. For me, my preference leans towards AR furniture. I find the majority of it more comfortable than the majority of AK furniture. That being said, I don't have any AR stuff on my AK's as of right now, and I would love to do an all wood Saiga conversion at some point. Other than that, yeah, I say use what works for you.

We put several UBRs on s-12s, all using the ACE folding mechanism. It adds a lot of weight, but very solid. It's one of the best stocks we've put on a build.

post-6356-12668250631251_thumb.jpg

Craig

Thanks for the pic and info. That adapter also looks a bit long. Is the length due to the fact that it's a folder? Would a non-folding version of the same adapter be shorter? I would prefer to go non-folding anyway.

Maybe I'm coming off as too picky, or maybe it's because I have no experience with AR stocks on AK's, or folding mechanisms.............but I'd like to get the stock as flush as possible to the receiver. Or am I just going to have to deal with the extra length on every adapter available? I literally have zero experience in this area, so maybe I'm dreaming.

Thanks again guys, for all the info. Much appreciated.

Maybe I'm coming off as too picky, or maybe it's because I have no experience with AR stocks on AK's, or folding mechanisms.............but I'd like to get the stock as flush as possible to the receiver. Or am I just going to have to deal with the extra length on every adapter available? I literally have zero experience in this area, so maybe I'm dreaming.

Such were my own feelings exactly (concerning desiring to have the stock as close as feasible to the rear of the receiver). Esteban felt the same way. . . which is why he said he was going to "chop" an ACE folding mechanism for my conversion. I don't care to have the folding option anyway, so it is suppose to be a "win, win" situation. Of course, there is no way in Hades I could do something like that myself; gotta have a professional gunsmith do it. YMMV of course. I've yet to see if Esteban's plan actually worked as he indicated to me.

~Gary

Such were my own feelings exactly (concerning desiring to have the stock as close as feasible to the rear of the receiver). Esteban felt the same way. . . which is why he said he was going to "chop" an ACE folding mechanism for my conversion. I don't care to have the folding option anyway, so it is suppose to be a "win, win" situation. Of course, there is no way in Hades I could do something like that myself; gotta have a professional gunsmith do it. YMMV of course. I've yet to see if Esteban's plan actually worked as he indicated to me.

~Gary

Well keep me updated. I'm really interested in seeing how yours turns out. I have lots of time before I can even do this, so I'm in no rush. Looking forward to seeing yours.

Well keep me updated. I'm really interested in seeing how yours turns out. I have lots of time before I can even do this, so I'm in no rush. Looking forward to seeing yours.

We'll do. But keep in mind, all that I have shared with you is what I was informed of by Esteban. Whether or not his plan proves possible or feasible, remains to be seen. Next time I speak to him though, I'll inquire with him specifically about this particular aspect of my conversion.

Best Wishes to ya!

~Gary

We'll do. But keep in mind, all that I have shared with you is what I was informed of by Esteban. Whether or not his plan proves possible or feasible, remains to be seen. Next time I speak to him though, I'll inquire with him specifically about this particular aspect of my conversion.

Best Wishes to ya!

~Gary

Thanks man. I appreciate it.

Just a little note of addition...

Magpul PRS stocks do not come with a buffer tube either... Which is pretty shitty, as they cant bother to send a $10 dollar part along with a $200 dollar stock! :(

:smoke:

The only real reason UBR's come with buffer tubes, is because it's a proprietary tube. You can't slap it onto any regular buffer tube, like you can with every other AR stock. If it used a regular BT, I'm sure it wouldn't come with one either, just like how every other stock ever made doesn't come with one.

Edited by -Shooter-

Got the stock the other day.

Holy shit this thing is ROCK SOLID. It's hefty, but I knew that going in, so that's not a concern. Can't wait to try it out.

Don't have it mounted up yet, just got the UBR today. Thanks for the hook up on the discount!

The UBR looks real nice mounted up to the R&R adapter, like they were made for each other.

I'll post installed pics after the conversion is done this weekend.

Here are pics of it mounted up to the adapter:

P1010051.jpg

P1010049.jpg

Got the stock the other day.

Holy shit this thing is ROCK SOLID. It's hefty, but I knew that going in, so that's not a concern. Can't wait to try it out.

Don't have it mounted up yet, just got the UBR today. Thanks for the hook up on the discount!

The UBR looks real nice mounted up to the R&R adapter, like they were made for each other.

I'll post installed pics after the conversion is done this weekend.

Here are pics of it mounted up to the adapter:

P1010051.jpg

P1010049.jpg

No problem!

Looking forward to the pics.

• 1 year later...

Thread necromancy -- were there ever any pics of this UBR on? Also, I was wondering if I would need the same R&R adapter to fit a UBR on an Arsenal SGL 21. If anyone has the answers, please let me know as I'm wanting to pull the trigger on a UBR so bad!

On your ride out of NY, make sure you tie the compliant stock to the bumper and drag it all the way to your new home. Don't forget to post pics of before and after.

I recently bought a gently used UBR for $200 shipped. It is certainly something that you could buttstroke someone with confidence. Wait.... that didn't sound right. I put it on my long AR (16").

Edited by evlblkwpnz