somebody got them and put a review of it, actually just a obervation of it. couple big negatives, no steel reinforced feed lips ----can you say cracked feedlips and plastic chunks coming off of it. the other thing is the the price of 30 buck ea. my advice stick with surplus steel mags.

• Like 2

I got a couple out of his initial shipment.

Gonna be a while before I can run them but have to say that they indeed seem to be extremely top quality.

Id say that unless circle 10's come down in price that these will corner the market there.

If someone has a commbloc steel they prefer, or a cheapo plastic version (not sure why) then they probably wont spend premium money on a premium mag. So be it, there's something for everyone.

I know the initial distributor of these mags has been really talking them up, as well as his bottom line ;-), but much of the negative critiques of these mags from people who've never even seen or used them seems kinda silly. I guess soem people have difficulties with change or believing that a new, different design can actually be an improvement?

Once enough people start running these we'll get a broader range of feedback, but if someone hasnt chosen to make the investment in running circle 10's up to now then it probably makes sense that they wont have a very positive view of these AK30's.

Cheers

HarvKY

• Like 1

I got a couple out of his initial shipment.

Gonna be a while before I can run them but have to say that they indeed seem to be extremely top quality.

Id say that unless circle 10's come down in price that these will corner the market there.

If someone has a commbloc steel they prefer, or a cheapo plastic version (not sure why) then they probably wont spend premium money on a premium mag. So be it, there's something for everyone.

I know the initial distributor of these mags has been really talking them up, as well as his bottom line ;-), but much of the negative critiques of these mags from people who've never even seen or used them seems kinda silly. I guess soem people have difficulties with change or believing that a new, different design can actually be an improvement?

Once enough people start running these we'll get a broader range of feedback, but if someone hasnt chosen to make the investment in running circle 10's up to now then it probably makes sense that they wont have a very positive view of these AK30's.

Cheers

HarvKY

HarvKY are the feeds lips reinforced? I'd be interested in your review after you use them.

Edited by Paladin

Like with the Magpul P-Mags used in ARs do not have metal feed lips,unless a Mag. has metal reinforced feed ramps I just won't use them for anything but a range type Mag.

For a non metal Mag. I would stick with the Bulgarian Arsenal circle (10) Mags. They have steel reinforced feed lips&steel locking Mag. hardware.

Edited by rifleshooter474

Like with the Magpul P-Mags used in ARs do not have metal feed lips,unless a Mag. has metal reinforced feed ramps I just won't use them for anything but a range type Mag.

For a non metal Mag. I would stick with the Bulgarian Arsenal circle (10) Mags. They have steel reinforced feed lips&steel locking Mag. hardware.

I've read that the US Palm mags have steel reinforced feed lips in the production version. But there's no point in talking about this one way or the other until someone on this forum has one in hand to verify.

I've read that the US Palm mags have steel reinforced feed lips in the production version. But there's no point in talking about this one way or the other until someone on this forum has one in hand to verify.

well how about a picture for verification, that there is no steel reinforcement. he dropped a full mag on a carpeted floor, the result:

DSCN0795.jpg

DSCN0797.jpg

now I don't know about any of you, but on occasion I have dropped a loaded mag on concrete at the range . and never had this kind of result from a steel mag. but hey, it's your money, if you want to take a gamble on them be my guest

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 5

"Rest assured, there are stainless steel metal cages/locking tabs in the final production run...."

Someone needs to take a magnet/throw down on concrete one of the production mags.

I thought a magnet wasn't attracted to stainless steel. The only sure way is to cut a production mag and see firsthand what's under the polymer. Then again, I could be wrong.

Sorry, who is "he", and what was the source of his mag? Was it a production, or pre-production version?

he bought it from One Source Tactical

http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=123443

For less than half the price I'll keep using tapco mags if I need a plastic mag. I havent been able to break one yet and have dropped them loaded several times, buried them in the dirt, and banged the rifle around with them loaded, had the rifle fall off a range table loaded in the rifle. So until I break one I dont mind using the 3 I have.

you can get 10 eastern block mags for less than 100 bucks...why spend 30 on one?

I was about to say the same thing....Why the fuck would anyone pay 3x the price for the latest and greatest magazine when combloc ones are ten times better at a third the price...

I guess it just goes into the whole tactical thing. To me, the non-battlefield advantage of the AK, the two most useful to those of us who will never shoot anything but cans and paper, is low cost, and ease of maintenance/work. People can do whatever they want with their guns, cause hell, it's not like I'm paying for it, but when I see $200 MAGPUL stocks and $250 quad rail sets on a $329 gun I just can't help but /facepalm.

• Like 2

well how about a picture for verification, that there is no steel reinforcement. he dropped a full mag on a carpeted floor, the result:

DSCN0795.jpg

DSCN0797.jpg

now I don't know about any of you, but on occasion I have dropped a loaded mag on concrete at the range . and never had this kind of result from a steel mag. but hey, it's your money, if you want to take a gamble on them be my guest

As predicted, these are junk.

• Like 1

OK, I have to admit to being wrong. Photos posted by Suarez himself prove that the production US Palm magazines do not have the steel reinforcements in the feed lips:

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=65428

He also displays video results of several drop/hurl-down tests of the US Palm magazine, a combloc steel, and a circle 10. He makes much of the fact that the US Palm is (by chance) the only mag that will still feed one round after all the abuse. But all he proved to me was that the steel mags are (not surprisingly) the toughest, and that the US Palm's don't have enough steel reinforcement. I'll be sticking with the steel and circle 10 mags.

Has any American company just gone with the stamped sheet metal design?

National Magazine offers a stamped metal magazine. These are sold to rubes by Sportsman's Guide and other vendors with no standards.

It is made of multiple sections and is universally considered to be poop.gif

• Like 1

Has any American company just gone with the stamped sheet metal design?

not that I know of. but lets say for the sake of argument that someone did, and lets further say that they actually worked as good as the surplus mags, you would have to take a giant leap of faith there. the price for one would probably be 4 times what a surplus metal mags go for. now I don't know about you, but I am not about to shell out that kind of money for one mag, when I can buy 4 mags for the same price.

If Comblock mags weren't so cheap, I probably would buy a few polymer magazines to try them out.

But for now, the only non-steel magazines that I'm interested in, are 7.62x39 bakalite magazines.

I just wish that there were more floating around, so the prices would come down on them.

I would buy them if they were the same price as AK74 magazines.

OK, I have to admit to being wrong. Photos posted by Suarez himself prove that the production US Palm magazines do not have the steel reinforcements in the feed lips:

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=65428

He also displays video results of several drop/hurl-down tests of the US Palm magazine, a combloc steel, and a circle 10. He makes much of the fact that the US Palm is (by chance) the only mag that will still feed one round after all the abuse. But all he proved to me was that the steel mags are (not surprisingly) the toughest, and that the US Palm's don't have enough steel reinforcement. I'll be sticking with the steel and circle 10 mags.

I agree, the gold standard is still the circle 10 magazines. :eek:

• Like 1

Saw this in a post on the Suarez forum:

One bit of information that I have been trying to get clarity on is whether or not there was any metal reinforcing (as advertised) around the feed lips of the AK30. So I found this exchange (on TOS) helpful.

"I would guess you could drop a thousand magazines and not induce the same exact angle strike on the feedlips as [MJ] did. Unfortunately the picture is what it is and this is what the US Palm web site states The feed lips and locking surfaces are reinforced by a stainless steel cage that has been molded into the entire top of the magazine to further ensure reliability for years of trouble free service." This photograph clearly shows the feedlips do not have any of the metal reinforcing cage that has been advertized.

The response:

"Yes, the AK 30s have been dropped repeatedly by many individuals associated with this project from first shots. There was no need to reinforce the feedlips with metal due to the material we used.

In press releases that was mistakenly listed, but you can see without having to cut the magazine that the stainless steel cage was for the locking surfaces only, and does not extend to the feed lips. The material does the rest.

Ah, the magic material that makes steel reinforcement unnecessary.

• Like 2

Jim,

I don't think further testing is unreasonable. I just read your posts over at Warriortalk and I agree that a more scientific test performed by someone without a "leg-in-the-race" is necessary in order to see how well these things hold up.

If a saiga forum member in the northwest has some of these mags already, I would be willing to meet up and use a few of my Bulgarians to perform tests in a controlled environment. If anyone is interested that has 3 or 4 of these on hand, let me know.

• Like 1

I have two each of the Keep shootings new Teflon coated steel 30rd mags, they also have the same type Mag. in 40rd. So far I have not found any problems with these new Mags.

http://www.keepshooting.com/firearmaccessories/magazines/buy-ak-47-magazine-new-teflon-30-round.htm

http://www.keepshooting.com/firearmaccessories/magazines/ak47-40rd-magazine.htm

Edited by rifleshooter474

I have two each of the Keep shootings new Teflon coated steel 30rd mags, they also have the same type Mag. in 40rd. So far I have not found any problems with these new Mags.

http://www.keepshooting.com/firearmaccessories/magazines/buy-ak-47-magazine-new-teflon-30-round.htm

man i don't think i could buy those when i can purchase brand new unissued mil surp steel for $13. "brand new"

man i don't think i could buy those when i can purchase brand new unissued mil surp steel for $13. "brand new"

I am not telling anyone to buy anything, just telling the forum what I have and what I have found in using them.

I am not telling anyone to buy anything, just telling the forum what I have and what I have found in using them.

i guess i should just keep my mouth shut. :eek: