Surefire Mag Damage

Okay folks,

Here's are the symptoms.

I did the conversion a few years ago, and right away the gun was running the bullet tips into the lug on the mags. I haven't had a problem with my factory mags, but they have only been used once after the conversion.

Here's what is happening to the mags.

dscn0301small.jpg

dscn0302small.jpg

dscn0303small.jpg

dscn0304small.jpg

Using Wolf ammo, which brings up another problem. Sometimes it will eject and feed, but the hammer won't cock. I've just been chalking it up to Wolf.

Any ideas. Please.

The only thing I can think of is check the height of the mag when seated, against the factory mag. If it is sitting low in the receiver it would pick up the ass end of the round and cause it to nose dive. I would send an email to Surefire.

As far as wolf goes, mine will eat it all day with out failure. Check your spring legs on your trigger, or it could be a feed issue from your mag.

As long as you still have a copy of the receipt, surefire will warranty the mag for 5 years. If you don't have the receipt, i would e-mail or call them and see if they can still help. A $40 magazine should not be doing that. I don't thinkg the Wolf ammo has anything to do with it.

I may have found something that could be the problem, but want some input from others who have done the conversion on the .308.

I noticed that the AK disconector spring that I bought from K-var is much weaker than the original spring. Unfortunately the original spring does not work because it's too wide (I'm sure others who have done the conversion know this already).

IOW, the original spring won't work (too wide), and the regular AK spring won't work (too weak).

What are others using?

• 3 weeks later...

Equal time here.

I Sent the mags in on the fifth, and just got them back today.

While it's disappointing that I couldn't use them, I am happy with the factory mags, and do appreciate that they were willing to exchange them.

I will also post this in the other thread.