My restoration (conversion)

• 4 weeks later...

Believe it or not that was done with a mig. In order to get good penetration I had to lay down some thick ugly beads. That was followed by bench grinder, belt sanders, and various files. It didn't all go well as one of the holes in the reinforcement plate had to be ground out after I forgot to turn on the shielding gas and started to produce a very porus weld. And then there is the time I forgot to flip the switch on my helmet from grinding back to welding, so I was instantly blinded which resulted in a pile of crap that also had to be fixed. :eek: But overall I am very satisfied with the results. After blasting I spent half an hour picking sand out of every nook and crany. Soon it will be phosphated and painted.

Mr Cobra,

I have been sleeping at the switch. I didn't realize you are making parts that I want.

Reinforcement plates and trigger guards. YES!

Thanks but I can't take credit for making these particular parts...they are excellent TGs but I do not make them myself, I buy them to keep in stock for those wanting a more traditional AK TG on their conversions.:smoke:

I need to get a tig!! Looks good

I have a friend who has a really nice MIG as well as a TIG. I used both when welding up my holes. Actually, I could fill the holes easier and faster with the MIG. Since the holes filled faster with the MIG, I was applied less heat, as evidenced by the smaller "heat ring" around the holes that I MIG welded. The filler material was definitely harder with the MIG and took more elbow grease to file down smooth.

Now, I should preface this by saying that I had never used a TIG welder before. Someone which great experience with TIG welding would argue, with good reason, that the TIG was the way to go.

My whole point is, if you are building a gun, trying to learn a couple of do's and don'ts, then the MIG welder is considerably cheaper and will fill your holes just fine.

jonblack

post-22056-12700815918987_thumb.jpg

Rinse for a while

Sir, hats off to you on the Park job. You seem to know what you are doing. Can you share more about the process and chemicals you used? I noticed you have plugs in the barrel and gas tube. I'm guessing those are silicone?

Good work, you should be very proud of this build.

jonblack

post-22056-12701619956671_thumb.jpg

The TG rivets were presed (with a shop press) using a jig available from Cobra

The parking was and pressing was done using tools and equipment owned by a friend of mine.

Most of the chemicals are from Brownells. The process is really very simple. The degreaser is heated to a simmer while the parking solution is brought up to 180 degrees.

The parts are soaked in degreaser for about 10-15 minuets, rinsed, placed in the parking solution for 5 minuets, rinsed again and dried. That's all it takes. The white trays are also from Brownells. He bought the very nice stainless tank with a lid for a very reasonable price on Ebay