Ejected Brass Damage - Can It Be Lessened?

I recently completed the conversion on my S308 and while I am very happy with the accuracy (3/4" groups at 100 yards so far with modern S&B FMJ, but I think it can do better), I have noticed that the ejected brass have a pretty hefty dent in them. Maybe too much of a dent to be able to reload them, I don't know. Is this normal for a Saiga 308 and can anything be done to minimize damage to the brass? Thanks.

Hey thanks for the link to the thread. It seems like he solved his problem by screwing in the piston further. I'm not sure exactly what he is referring to but I sure would like to know and give it a try.

Well, on a stock Saiga you would need to drill out the pin on the gas piston to be able to turn it. There are threads on that somewhere but I'm not sure what you are up to doing as far as modifications go. If you do end up drilling the pin out, I would also get the Tapco piston as it counts as a 922 compliance part and only costs $15.

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies, ThirtyAughtSix and Rhodes1968. I'll give the door molding a try.

This 308 is a sweet shooter by the way. I installed a PWS FSC30 muzzle brake and a Mako collapsible stock with shock absorber and it feels like I am shooting my M1 carbine..

Redwood, I had the same problem on mine. Contact the factory, the tech there helped me out. When a round is ejected the bolt comes back and impacts the next round in the mag. Cycle the bolt and check the rotation of the extractor, you will see where it is impacting the next round. File the edge gradually until it does not impact the next fed round.

Here is an image from an unfired Prvi Partizan 308 SP cartridge that was damaged by the bolt sliding back. This just happened about an hour ago when I was trying this ammo for the first time. WOW..

Dinged308Case.jpg

This does not happen with the other ammo I have so far fired in the rifle (modern S&B, Brown Bear, surplus Portuguese). There is always a slight mark down the whole of the case but not a dent like this.

I can see the part of the extractor that is hitting the case and I have filed it down a little but am hesitant to go much farther. Any idea why this is happening so dramatically with this particular ammunition? Should I file a little more or just stop using this ammo and try other soft points which it hopefully will not happen with?

By the way this is a separate issue from the one I originally posted about, which looks like the brass making contact with the edge of the dust cover.

Edited by Redwood

I am using a brand new Surefire 10-rd mag. The damaged casing was from the first shots out of the mag. I have given some thought in the past few days about the mag being defective and will be checking it out by using some other ammo brand in it to see if the damage is duplicated.

Redwood the issue is the 3rd lug on the bolt, smacking and denting the round. The tenth bullet doesn't have enough movement to allow the bolt to slide over the round. Load one less round or carefully polish the lug as others have done. There are other posts regarding polishing the bolt's 3rd lug, be careful if you go that route as you can damage your bolt by taking of too much material and make your firearm unsafe. Easier route would be slightly trimming the legs on the magazine follower.

Thanks, Noob308. I actually did a little polishing on the lug a few days ago, but have not tried to shoot it again yet. If I did managed to damage the bolt by removing too much material, do you have any idea where I can purchase another one?

No idea as to where to purchase another bolt if one was to ruin his existing. Check through the old posts and search for bolt polishing there is one with pictures that show what to do. I have polished my bolt, but it has been too long ago to remember where the post is or it's name.