MD-20, Saiga-12 Drum Fitting

MD Arms, LTD. wants your opinion....  

264 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather?

• No drum fitting required , but might lock in with more movement.
    • Fit drum to keep a very tight lock up and minimal movement.
  2. 2. Are you an MD-20 owner?

• Yes, I own one (1).
    • Yes, I own more than one (1+).
    • No, but getting one.
    • No, but want one.
    • No, not interested.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had to do the A and B fitting with both drums. Though I do like the nice and tight lock-in, a little less adjusting would be nice.   Either way I am sure the drums will be great.

Go for the tight fit, that's what made me so popular in prison!!

keep it as it is. if someone can't follow the detailed instruction written at 5th grade level, they shouldn't be allowed around pointy objects, let alone even own a firearm.

I just ordered my 11th MD-20 this morning.... keep up the good work and don't change a thing.

Damn bro.... How many do you need? think this is going a bit far?

I know.... I'm one to talk. I went on a spree & had way too many S-12 mags to carry. I got a little too introspective, so I sold them.

Being as I tuned all of them, they still feed well with their new owners.

There's a local company called Sexyweapons.com close to me that I'm pitching the idea of making drum specific carry pouches. If they need, I'll lend them one of mine to use as a template.

You should show them your hoard of drums & be their spokesman. You could get tactical rigging & cover your whole fuckin' body with drums!! :lolol: :lolol:

You'd be a hero to mall ninjas across the globe. :haha:

ETA; damn.....

I think the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" crew have it won by a landslide... ^_^

Edited by Paulyski

I just ordered my 11th MD-20 this morning.... keep up the good work and don't change a thing.

Damn bro.... How many do you need? think this is going a bit far?

I know.... I'm one to talk. I went on a spree & had way too many S-12 mags to carry. I got a little too introspective, so I sold them.

Being as I tuned all of them, they still feed well with their new owners.

There's a local company called Sexyweapons.com close to me that I'm pitching the idea of making drum specific carry pouches. If they need, I'll lend them one of mine to use as a template.

You should show them your hoard of drums & be their spokesman. You could get tactical rigging & cover your whole fuckin' body with drums!! :lolol: :lolol:

You'd be a hero to mall ninjas across the globe. :haha:

ETA; damn.....

I think the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" crew have it won by a landslide... ^_^

I have to buy lots of shit, so that when I die there is plenty of stuff for the kids to split without arguing about who gets what :cryss: By the time they get this stuff. These drums will have been declared DDs by some nutless idiot behind a desk in Washington.

If SHTF, I'll put 7.62 plates on one of the kids and they can follow me around with a wagon full of loaded MD-20s :lolol:

• Like 1

I have to buy lots of shit, so that when I die there is plenty of stuff for the kids to split without arguing about who gets what :cryss: By the time they get this stuff. These drums will have been declared DDs by some nutless idiot behind a desk in Washington.

If SHTF, I'll put 7.62 plates on one of the kids and they can follow me around with a wagon full of loaded MD-20s :lolol:

:lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol: lets get a post apoctalyptic comedy picture of that = priceless

When I first read about Saigas and having to fit mags to the gun, I thought it was going to be a pain in the ass. But they werent at all. I just did my MD20 drums last night. Once you do the first one, you know what to do with the rest of them. It only takes a few minutes. I did the same thing with my stick mags also.

My drum fit with a slight amount of fitting which surprised me as most mags need to be narrowed some..

My mag port is narrow. It has a step in it which makes it tight at the muzzle end of the opening. I have smoothed it and opened it a little with a stone and file as the sides were not parallel. I left the step but mad it even and smoothed the edges.

I like my Drum to be snug and I like to do the fitting. My mags I like to only have a slight amount of friction. all of my AGP's needed significant narrowing at only the muzzle end of the magazine but NO A or B fitting other than flashing being removed. I found that odd.

I just take a nail file and touch up/smooth the flashing marks.

It's hard to ADD material... It was easy to remove it. ;)

My vote is to keep it snug rather than loose.

I'm going to echo what most people above have said, to leave it as it is.

I received my first MD-20 drum today (thank you for the fast shipping and a great product by the way) and was surprised to see that it fit perfectly in my S12 with no modifications whatsoever.

I guess that means my magwell is on the larger side of the acceptable tolerance, but it also means that if the drum had been made to the smaller side mine would likely have fit with a lot more movement rather than as nice as it does.

I'm not afraid to modify something to make it fit if I know ahead of time that fitting may be required, this is one of those instances where it's better to manufacture something to the larger side of the spec rather than have a "one size fits all" product that will fit sloppier in some guns.

I am waiting for my Saiga 12 to come into my dealer, but I have 5 drums on their way to me now. I ordered all of the rest of the conversion parts today.

Once I do a little break-in to see how the gun functions. I will either send it in for warranty repair or do the conversion.

Malodave

• 2 weeks later...

I am waiting for my Saiga 12 to come into my dealer, but I have 5 drums on their way to me now. I ordered all of the rest of the conversion parts today.

Once I do a little break-in to see how the gun functions. I will either send it in for warranty repair or do the conversion.

Malodave

It took me 30 minutes to scroll through this thread. 28 minutes were spent staring at the avatar for the first reply.

Call it luck but so far I am 3 for 3.

The 3rd drum was a bit tight and takes 2-3 tries to get set but am sure it will get easier with each use.

I wouldn't change anything just yet.

Malodave

It took me 30 minutes to scroll through this thread. 28 minutes were spent staring at the avatar for the first reply.

Call it luck but so far I am 3 for 3.

The 3rd drum was a bit tight and takes 2-3 tries to get set but am sure it will get easier with each use.

I wouldn't change anything just yet.

Me too. :D:devil:

• 1 month later...

I have a promag which required no fitting and it rattles some! But functions well so far. I have an MD Arms drum which required fitting and doesn't wobble/rattle. It functions well also! Over all If a change could be made or focused on I would vote for a way to store loaded drums long term?

MD Arms, LTD. wants your opinion....

It would be very simple and easy for us to modify our molds to make our drum not require fitting.

Currently some guns don't need it and will lock right out of the box, but a lot do need it to lock up. The number of guns that need it seems to have increased a bit since our drums were release 17 months ago.

What do you think? No fitting but might have a little movement in gun... Or fit the drums for a tight fit...

Depending on this poll we might make a quick change to the molds before the drum bodies start running.

Please answer above. Thanks for your insight!!! MikeD

Edited by Guns Are Great

Guys, this thread is over a Year old! I believe Mike has made a decision by now considering there still being sold as "file to fit" drums. The factory mags are all fitted to each specific gun so it only makes sense the best mags would have to be fitted to each gun. If MD arms is still curious about opinoins ignore my post but this thread just seems too old to still matter.

I think most of the people that can do a conversion, can make use of a sandpaper and file. Those who haven't done a conversion, it's easy to learn how to use sandpaper and a file.

Btw, I'd love to have a drum, and I want to get one in the future :]

Just got mine today!!! THANK YOU MIKE! Very helpful with my order and making sure I got mine before my vacation. Also mine fit right out of the box no problems nice and tight fit like it was made for my gun! I just ordered my Saiga from K-Var if that matters. :super: