Bipod mounting

Just got my S308 last night at it looks like a dream to shoot:)

How are you guys mounting bipods? I know I could get a railed forearm and go that route...but I'm wondering if there is a bipod or mounting plate that works with the existing sling point threaded area though. I didn't like the S12 forearm but this one looks comfortable and I'd like to keep it if possible to cut down on front end weight.

Thanks

Eric

I replace the front sling stud with one that has a hole all the way through it in order to mount a bipod on mine. I believe it was in a pack labeled for shotguns but the screw threads and size were right for the 308.

Do you remember where you got the stud and what it was called? What bipod did you mount on itand where did you get it? I'm new to the world of sling stud mounted bipods so any and all info is helpful.

Thanks

Eric

The railed is the easiest way to to go, by all means avoid any barrel attachments of course. Ive found my pack makes a better support than any bipod I used but thats just me.

I agree with the pack bit when hunting...but this is for range/possible competition use, no pack.

Is there a company that makes a S308 handguard with a piece of rail on the bottom in order to mount a bipod?

Thanks

Eric

I used an Uncle Mike's stud. Don't know the specifics, I just unscrewed the original and took it with me for size comparison. I think I found it at Academy, but any outdoor store should have them. My bipod is just a Harriss knock off I think, Rockmount maybe? Not the best I've heard, but suitable for my purposes.

Edited by pjitsu
  • 4 weeks later...

The railed is the easiest way to to go, by all means avoid any barrel attachments of course. Ive found my pack makes a better support than any bipod I used but thats just me.

why avoid the barrel attachment option? I went with the harris barrel attachment and it seems fine. That swivel on the handguard was a piece of garbage and that composite rail looked uber cheap

Barrel attachments can put pressure on the barrel and have an effect on POI (point of impact). It will definitely have more of an effect when shooting at a greater distance. I like the TapCo fore-end because it gives you the option of a railed fore-grip or not (you choose which rails you want to attach). You also have different sling studs to choose from, so you could go with a rail or stud mounted bi-pod. There are several other makes of fore-ends to choose from, so look around and see which one would best suit you and what you use your rifle for. There are also several bi-pods that come with an adapter that will allow you to attach a rail mount bi-pod to a swivel stud.

Edited by DrGonZo