I am looking for someone who KNOWS the security camera system biz... I need recommendations for outdoor color systems, and what brands to check out and which ones to steer clear of.

We need to install at LEAST a two camera system at our local sportsmen club to try to catch vandals/rule violators in the act. We currently have a system in place with hidden black and white cameras, but the resolution is HORRIBLE, and you almost cant even identify the make and model of a vehicle at 50 feet. Yeah, seriously... they are that bad!

We need a system that will record continuously, or motion activated, and will record in high resolution color, with the ultimate goal the ability to read a license plate between 50 and 150 feet.

The kicker... we need to do it as inexpensively as possible... I cannot allocate thousands of dollars for funds... Although I think if a system that will fit the bill can be had for under $500.00 that should be workable.

I figured SOMEONE on the forums should have experience in the security field and know what to recommend.

Thanks!!

:smoke:

Sorry to hear your having problems. What about a big dog (german sheperd or rotty)? My boss put in cameras after his pull behind trailer was stolen. But i'm thinking it cost like $1500-2000 for 4 cameras. But it is in color and records not stop to a DVR type recorder. Maybe just wait for them to return with some rocksalt in a pump gun. Or you could give these a try.

http://www.hitechammotogo.com/html/perimeter_alarm_systems___acce.html

Migh help.

I was having issues with vandals in the alley messing with my cars. The cheapest route I found was the Camera they use to watch things like deer feeders. They sell them at Academy Sports and range from $40 on up. These also record video and are motion activated. I have yet to do this but maybe this is another option you can explore.

TYBOY

I have installed 2 security systems that can range in prices...they are infrared and will only go about 40 feet reliably, some have a semi decent zoom option...tiger direct has the components needed..not overly expensive give me a pm and we can talk in more detail... http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5256333&Sku=N247-1004 they are very reliable...also a sign that points out the security devices can deter them greatly....they are really easier to set-up than yoou may think man.

Edited by DJ Big Dog

I have worked in the carwash buisness and we have bought and used cameras from http://www.supercircuits.com/ and have had no issues with them even cought some people with them reasonably priced have used alot of there micro cameras in the self serve bays and installed them in the change machines and you can see people trying to break into them but never the less they have a pretty good selection

Whatever you purchase, do not buy dome cameras with I/R LEDs AND tinted domes.

I/R LEDs & clear domes are cool, but when they have tinted domes, when it's dark & the LEDs come on, all you'll see from the camera is the reflection of the LEDs off of the inside of the tinted dome.

We had to get all the patient room cameras replaced at my unit do to this issue.

Being as night time is the most opportune time for patients to attempt suicide, no video at night was kinda shitty.

1+ on http://www.supercircuits.com/ they are my exclusive supplier of camera`s especially the Sony EX HAD high resolution cams with .0001 lux night vision on the PC 164 (no cheap led`s that glow red to the eye ,the lower priced cams do have these Led`s and they work well but you can see them from a long way off) they are great with customer support too

Edited by belt fed frog

I was having issues with vandals in the alley messing with my cars. The cheapest route I found was the Camera they use to watch things like deer feeders. They sell them at Academy Sports and range from $40 on up. These also record video and are motion activated. I have yet to do this but maybe this is another option you can explore.

TYBOY

+1

Scouting cams are probably you best option on an budget. They even make some real nice high resolution on the record for 30 sec after triggering. Just make sure you hide them good and bolt or lock them to whatever you mount them to otherwise they would probably steal those too.

Indy,

There are some pretty decent IP cams available in either wireless or wired models. It sounds like what you are looking for is a high resolution color model with remote pan/zoom capabilities. There are a number of cams available in the $300 to $600 price range (each) that will do what you want.

Depending on the location, I would consider wired cams with buried heavy duty Cat5 cabling connected directly to a computer. Wireless cams are very cool as well and can use existing wireless infrastructure provided they are in range, but there is always the issue of powering them.

In either case you it sounds like you will need cams with high res, and pan/zoom capacities that members can volunteer to monitor remotely from their home or business computers.

A link to a security cam site follows. Hopefully that will give you some options/ideas. http://www.networkwebcams.com/ I can work with you to find an affordable solution.

Another idea would be to pick up some tree mounted "game" cams that take snapshots when they sense motion, and hide them near access/egress points that your vandals must use to access the property.

We had a little situation a while back where someone seemed determined to pry open or "drive through" a set of heavy solid core doors on the workshop. I camped out at the workshop with some popcorn, DVD's, an air mattress and surveillance cams (already hard wired in place), and of course an S12 with a couple of 12 round mags full of Rio 2 3/4" high brass 9 pellet 00 buck.

I made no secret of the fact that I was there, parking my car conspicuously in front of the building. If things had gone south and I had been forced to turn the burglars/invaders into hamburger and swiss cheese, I did not want to be accused of ambushing, or lying in wait. I figured if they were stupid or desperate enough to break in knowing I was there - there would be no extended question and answer session necessary when they arrived inside the building or were carried out - feet first.

Good luck catching your vandals. It sounds as if they may know you have cameras, and their capabilities. So, I would suspect that they know or are related to a present or former member of your club, or are themselves directly associated past or present.

If you do install additional covert cameras. I would do so without letting the general membership know about them.

There are some pretty decent IP cams available in either wireless or wired models.

I agree with WS, IP cameras connected to a PC are definitely the way to go. If you lack power at the camera sites, you can even route power over the ethernet cables (known as "power over ethernet" and requiring 'POE injectors' which shouldn't be too expensive).

I have set up IP (embedded linux server) based video camera systems when I was with a major oil company consulting for over thirty years. My clients required realtime monitoring of critical high pressure lab experiments from remote locations anywhere on the planet. It was crucial due to active drilling projects in the Gulf of Mexico and high demanding clients. Depending on how technical savvy you are, you can build an open source recording solution or purchase a turn key product cheap product (don't). Never purchase a solution that requires that you run their product with Internet Explorer you should seek a solution that will run from any web browser. I had access to deep pockets so cost was never entered into the decision equation only delivery of results. I always used Axis cameras without failure as Axis was the first to market with an embedded Linux server. You will find cheaper solutions on the market but you will get what you pay for when results are everything. Also, you want cameras that connect via POE (power over Ethernet) using a pair from the cat5 line rather than a separate power supply to power the camera when ever possible.

Only IP camera company I use: http://www.axis.com/

Camera Model similar I've used: http://www.axis.com/...fixed/index.htm

Free Linux Video recording solution: http://www.zoneminder.com/

Good luck and I hope this helps you,

Yakdung

:)

Edited by yakdung

I have installed a lot of security camera systems, I would highly suggest www.apexcctv.com. They have everything you need and if you call and talk to John or Nelson they will help you work out exactly what you are trying to accomplish. I did have one project where I wanted to grab license plates and they were able to do it at a reasonable price.

Well, I should clarify a bit...

there isnt a lot of vandalism, except on the range itself... and our current system only covers the parking lots and the main grounds. The ranges are quite a ways away from the clubhouse.

the vandalism consisted of someone shooting up one of our folding chairs, and one of our shooting rests. Also, they brought junk out there, like a freezer door off of a refrigerator, old metal pails, and cardboard boxes and are shooting them all up and leaving the junk there. Our range is "Paper targets only" because of this exact reason... people bring junk, shoot it and then just leave it. Just stupid things... but its the point.

I would have to have long range, battery operated, wireless cameras to get to the range, as there is no power out that far. Otherwise, just good zone coverage in the parking lot on the way to the range would work, as we could identify people going to it, and narrow it down accordingly...

the current cameras are wired in with those old school network cables... with the round ends... They all hook into a hard drive playback system that hooks to a tv...

The problem is convincing the board of directors we need to allocate the funds for an expensive system... some typical responses are like, "just buy more chairs, its a lot cheaper than cameras" or similar... SO I have to have a good plan in order before I present it for approval. As club president, I cannot make the motion to have the purchase made, so I have to make sure its wanted enough by someone to get them to make the motion to be voted on.

Well, I should clarify a bit...

there isnt a lot of vandalism, except on the range itself... and our current system only covers the parking lots and the main grounds. The ranges are quite a ways away from the clubhouse.

the vandalism consisted of someone shooting up one of our folding chairs, and one of our shooting rests. Also, they brought junk out there, like a freezer door off of a refrigerator, old metal pails, and cardboard boxes and are shooting them all up and leaving the junk there. Our range is "Paper targets only" because of this exact reason... people bring junk, shoot it and then just leave it. Just stupid things... but its the point.

I would have to have long range, battery operated, wireless cameras to get to the range, as there is no power out that far. Otherwise, just good zone coverage in the parking lot on the way to the range would work, as we could identify people going to it, and narrow it down accordingly...

the current cameras are wired in with those old school network cables... with the round ends... They all hook into a hard drive playback system that hooks to a tv...

The problem is convincing the board of directors we need to allocate the funds for an expensive system... some typical responses are like, "just buy more chairs, its a lot cheaper than cameras" or similar... SO I have to have a good plan in order before I present it for approval. As club president, I cannot make the motion to have the purchase made, so I have to make sure its wanted enough by someone to get them to make the motion to be voted on.

Yeah, I don't see any way you can cover the whole range Indy, but access is another story. The NRA range I shoot at is right next door to the SWAT range.

The entrance gates to the ranges are right next to one another, and ONE camera on the SWAT side covers both entrances simultaneously.

How many entrances, exits are there, and how many roads which lead directly to and from the range?

There is only one entrance to the range, It is a 5' gap between two 10' gates. One of which can be closed to "close the range", ( they then overlap by about 5 feet...) and one camera would cover the parking area and the entrance simultaneously.

But it needs to be good enough, as I said above, to be able to discern make, model, color, and hopefully plate number. Or at least enough of the plate, that should a similar make, model, & color vehicle be there, you could say yes or no it is not the same one... LOL

I would also like a second camera to mount to cover the other half of the parking lot and the entrance drive way in to the parking lot.

the club is set up so that you pull off the road onto the driveway, then the parking area/clubhouse is about 200 yards in from the road. Once in the main parking area you can go right to the clubhouse, or left towards the ranges.

I am not sure if this link will work...

http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=s&lat=42.991822&lon=-76.546134&zoom=18

the "horseshoe" shaped pond with the peninsula "island" is ours. The clubhouse is to the right, the garage is closest to the pond along the left side... the ranges are further to the left... and point back towards the left side of the pond... you can see the parking area vaguely... but it gives you an idea of how things are arranged spatially. The crosshair is set dead center on the clubhouse...