Tangless with a TWS beryl project

Well me being me, and not able to leave well enough alone, I have decided having a S308 with the excellent TWS rail wasn't enough, I want the beryl and an internal block and Aluminum skeleton stock. The internal block and stock arrived today, installing them was quick work, now the hard part, making the TWS work with it. Here is where I am at so far. Lower setting on the DPH internal block.

post-15672-12673354598886_thumb.jpg

I would like to use the Higher mounting holes, so that the stock is in line with the receiver, but that is gonna take more thinking, more fabricating, and more time, I will do all this, but it might take a while.

• Like 2

Well me being me, and not able to leave well enough alone, I have decided having a S308 with the excellent TWS rail wasn't enough, I want the beryl and an internal block and Aluminum skeleton stock. The internal block and stock arrived today, installing them was quick work, now the hard part, making the TWS work with it. Here is where I am at so far. Lower setting on the DPH internal block.

post-15672-12673354598886_thumb.jpg

I would like to use the Higher mounting holes, so that the stock is in line with the receiver, but that is gonna take more thinking, more fabricating, and more time, I will do all this, but it might take a while.

Tag for updates. Good work!

• Like 2

You guys do know that a new TWS rail is in the woks that will not require a rear tang?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=56&t=111659&page=26

4320744829_907b89ecfa_m.jpg

4320744703_e2779c0344_m.jpg

4320745893_fe85d7f407_m.jpg

Well that just pisses me off. Oh well, mine will still be one of a kind. Got the lower latch block cut down today, still need to do some filing on it, but was working around hanging a chandelier and light fixtures.

Might edit with a picture later, but its nothing special so far.

• Like 1

Do these stay zero'd when you take the dust cover off? AK dust covers don't seem like the best mounting surface for in my opinion. I was thinking the one that uses the tang to bolt on would work better but you already went and cut yours off Mav.

• Like 1

Do these stay zero'd when you take the dust cover off? AK dust covers don't seem like the best mounting surface for in my opinion. I was thinking the one that uses the tang to bolt on would work better but you already went and cut yours off Mav.

They retain zero very well 30.06, and yes, I did cut off my tang, but it will be just as solid when I get through with it.

• Like 1

Well except for refinishing, its done.

post-15672-12677462235265_thumb.jpg

post-15672-12677462580071_thumb.jpg

post-15672-12677462794179_thumb.jpg

Had to take a lot off of the mounting block part of the latch, and also cut a groove into the top of the MAA skeleton stock, because there is a spot right where it meets the internal block that it is a little taller.

post-15672-12677464428575_thumb.jpg

And of course, how it looks with scope, a Burris Fullfield II Ballistic Plex, very good glass for the price.

post-15672-12677465097008_thumb.jpg

The cheekweld is perfect for the peep sight, I will need to come up with a cheekpiece for scope shooting. All in all, I am very happy with it, the MAA stock is super solid and I love the TWS rail, being able to put them together is wonderful. It was a lot a dremeling, and a lot of hand filing, and it would have been easier, faster, and probably neater with the proper tools (mill), but you work with what you have.

• Like 2

I use a cheap-o CheaperThanDirt leapers UTG dust cover mounted rail. I bought it because I needed a quick replacement for the side mount rail I originally bought when it snapped off the side mount when i was sighting it in. It cost me $15 and I haven't had to re-sight my scope once, even after removing the dust cover several times for cleaning and about 5 or 6 trips to the range. I'm still getting 3.5-4" groups at 100yds with Brown Bear ammo :super: . Maybe I just got lucky with mine, but I can't believe all the negative criticism these rails get. With the set screws, there is no movement AND it has a peep through rail so I can use my irons if I need to. I may not have the most expensive additions and conversions done to my 308 but it functions without a hitch and looks badass all while maintaining accuracy :osama: . So to all you guys that shelled out tons of cash for your custom rails and krebs style mounts... :haha: All joking aside, the dust cover mount looks and functions well and it keeps the weight down. I don't know about you, but I'm 6' tall and about 180lbs and to me, my 22" 308 is no pipsqueak. I try to keep the weight down as much as possible.

• 7 months later...

after its finished you'll have people asking where you bought that one!

WHERE DID YOU BUY THAT?!! :lolol:

I'd love to be able to have something similar, but with a folding mechanism and an internal block. I know they make the "no tang cut" external blocks, but they look funny to me. LOL

Corbin