• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BlackLs1Ttop

BlackLs1Ttop

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 01:56 AM

hello i was just wondering if anybody drilled into the factory saiga FSB without removing it? i plan on drilling it to hold the muzzle brake in properly, what pin needs to be used so that it does not just fly out when the muzzle brake is removed? i was just planning on using a regular pin i had in the garage and cut it to size and be carefull if i eer remove the muzzle brake so the pin does not fly out. how is the factory AK pin held in place?

#2 GregM1

GregM1

Citizen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 03:55 AM

The factory pin on my bulgy fsb has 2 pins and 1 spring. The smaller pin is pushed through a hole in direction of the barrel with a spring behind it. A larger pin goes across the rear portion of the mount and hold the other parts in place.

Notice the roll pin at the rear of the FSB on the arm.

Posted Image
  • BlackLs1Ttop likes this

#3 BlackLs1Ttop

BlackLs1Ttop

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 04:06 AM

oh ok the roll pin idea makes alot of sense. thanks alot for the picture that really is a big help. now i just need to find me a roll pin that will work. does any body have any idea what the size is on the actual index pin? if somebody can provide me the size i will be all set.

#4 sailor

sailor

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:50 PM

I had considered the same idea, mounting an index pin in the Saiga FSB. I won't be doing that, mainly because it is too far of a reach for the pin, and also because I THINK replacing the FSB with one as pictured in post #2 would be more useful. I don't think they are very expensive, mostly the hassle to pull the original, and find a good way to properly pin a new one where the original was "dimpled" on, not cross pinned. Then you would also have full size 24 RH threads for a "real" AK-74 brake. Interesting to ponder - if my TAPCO brake doesn't work out well, I will be looking at that option.
  • GregM1 likes this

#5 GregM1

GregM1

Citizen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:13 PM

I have one on my 223 and it is well worth it. I would recommend it over modding the original also. Its not very expensive to have a smith do it for you also.

#6 BlackLs1Ttop

BlackLs1Ttop

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:45 PM

maybe if i mess up i would buy the new FSB but other then that its 2 small holes that need to be drilled, and i need to machine one side of the roll pin to keep it held into place by the roll pin. i will keep you guys updated on how it all works out.

#7 Crsswift70

Crsswift70

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:00 AM

I read a thread once where someone used an old drill bit and a pen spring to do this. Search for that.

Here's one http://forum.saiga-1...showtopic=42515

Edited by Crsswift70, 01 March 2010 - 11:01 AM.

• BlackLs1Ttop likes this

#8 sailor

sailor

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:17 PM

swift70 - thank's for that link - useful! I will be using my brake "as is" for a while to check durability, but the single hole, drill bit/pin and pen spring mod. looks to be viable. Don't really need a retainer pin cross pin, unless the brake was to be on and off a lot. A twist tie around the FSB will retain the pin while removing or mounting a brake.

#9 BlackLs1Ttop

BlackLs1Ttop

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 04:53 PM

great link! thanks for the post. hopefully i will start the work on the gun this week i have lots of parts to install on the gun

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users