Ok, so I'm just about ready to take the money I have reserved for this purchase and light it on fire. I can't for the life of me figure out which one of these rifles to buy. I posted this question on AR15.com, and, well, I'm sure you can imagine the copious amounts of bias on that sight. Virtually everyone suggested the Colt (surprise surprise), insisting that piston-driven AR-type rifles were just unnecessary because the DI AR's are "every bit as reliable" as the piston-driven rifles. But then I do a search on military tests comparing different traditional DI and piston-driven rifles and found out that the standard Colt M4 lost (in terms of reliability) to every other piston-driven rifle tested!

I figure since this isn't an AR forum there might be a little more, er, neutrality here. And please don't tell me to get an AK...I've already got one, a very nice one (SGL-21) and am in complete agreement that it's better than both of the rifles I'm currently considering. But I want an AR-type rifle as well to replace my current one (DPMS panther light--ok rifle, just want a higher-tier AR). So what says the horde?

Edited by Bizzarolibe

Sig

Having said that, your on the we hate AR's site (that's a HUGE overstatement, but let me explain).. I know not everyone here hates ARs, many people here are very vocal in their support of them, but given that most of us like AKs, prefer AKs, and the AR is its obvious, direct, and less reliable rival, a lot of us are more likely to spit on it then any other gun given it's (in my opinion) undeserved enshrining. When someone puts something below quality on a pedastal above every other option and glorify it, it tends to create a level of contempt that is probably irrational.

So a lot of us still have bias here.. The AR is up there for my least favorite military quality rifle. Partly because of how often I see them, see them jam, and the amount of times I've had to explain what DI even is to people (most of them AR owners who had more money then sense and bought what they thought was THE best gun out there.. and failed.. hard)

Frankly my knowledge on the sig is insufficient, I havn't seen enough of them to be comfortable, but they always catch my eye and I've definately considered getting one a few times. I know it uses a piston.. and that gives me some preference to it

Edited by volkov

Both systems have strengths and weaknesses. Since you already have AR in your line up buying a Colt seems redundant to me. The only thing you'd be getting is a different barrel profile and a big increase in cost for the "Colt" stamped into the side of it. DPMS makes a fine rifle and it will do anything the higher tier will do.

I haven't shot the full sized Sig 556. I have SBR'd 556P. It's a fun little gun. It is a tad front heavy and I didn't help that by adding a Troy rail. I've only ran 450rds down the pipe with two FTFeeds. This was on a Magpul Pmag that I was pressing forward on. This allowed made the base of the round too low for the bolt to grab. If I don't push on the mag or pull on the front of the mag it will feed w/o problem. The only thing I dislike about this gun is that the mag release is a little too far out for my hand. I've got an extended mag release on order to fix this issue. There have been a few issues with the Sigs but nothing that can't be resolved. Word of warning though, most folks don't have much good to say about Sig customer service/warranty work.

You might have already read these arf threads but this is a pretty good one here...

Why do so many hate the 556

And this one because you want/need a unique piston driven 556...

556 vs XCR

I vote "neither". Get an XCR.

(BTW, I love AR's and have made it quite clear in many posts. I also love the AK. They both work for me.)

I think XCR is out of the running cause it's a little pricey-er than what I'm looking to spend, and it has a 1/9 twist. I think I prefer the 1/7.

Unless you're going to be firing full auto and going hundreds of rounds consecutively between cleanings, either weapon should be fine. I'd lean more towards the AR due to the ability to easily swap out uppers into other calibers. Save some money and build your own just how you want it.

Neither? LOL! just kidding! Maybe an FAL instead?! Sorry, I'm one of "those" guys. If I was to choose between the two I'd probably go for the AR so I had more choices caliber wise by changing out the upper. The Sig is an excellent weapon and very reliable at that but I'd still want to keep my options open.

• Like 1

I wasn't impressed with the SIG. I would go with the Colt. Unless you are firing hundreds of rds non stop in full auto the AR DI system will do just fine. I am not an AR hater, I have four of them.

Edited by Banshee

Have you thought about BCM? Colt quality for a smaller pricetag. They also have 1/7 twist, as you prefer.

Look them up. HIGH quality products and some of the best CS in existence.

(BTW, I love AR's and have made it quite clear in many posts. I also love the AK. They both work for me.)

I think XCR is out of the running cause it's a little pricey-er than what I'm looking to spend, and it has a 1/9 twist. I think I prefer the 1/7.

Fair enough.

Then in that case................I swear I just read something about Sig offering a $300 rebate. I'll go try to find some info and report back.

I think Colts are fine, but they are about $400 more than what they should go for IMO.

Last I looked, 6920's were going for about $1,200 (and this was awhile ago, it might have even dropped a little bit more, I'm not sure). That's a great price, all things considered. You surely won't find a NIB 6920 for the $800 you want them to be.

Edited by -Shooter-

Fair enough.

Then in that case................I swear I just read something about Sig offering a $300 rebate. I'll go try to find some info and report back.

Here it is:

http://www.sigsauer.com/CustomerService/556rebate.aspx

The catch is, you have to make the purchase by March 8th (is started on Jan. 23rd). You still have about a week. :D

I've sold both types of rifles and own a 6920. I would say get the Colt. The owner of the Sig556 I sold was not particularly happy with it. He hates the sights and has not been able to fine tune it to shoot the way he likes it. I have not had a chance to shoot that rifle, but I will say that my 6920 is a very good rifle and makes great 100 yard shots. Considering that there are thousands of after market accessories and parts for the AR, I would go with one. And yes, I agree, your SGL21 is better than either the Colt or the Sig in a close range SHTF scenario.

Any reason other than price not to consider a LWRC, or LWRC upper for your lower? How much on the Sig is AR compatable, only because in terms of add on's the AR platform seems wide open without getting stupid about it.

*sigh* sorry guys, I went with the Sig. Here's the way I look at it:

I found a Sig 556 online--brand new--for 1300$ even. Factor in the factory rebate offer and I just paid 1000 dollars for that rifle. Also factor in the second kind of cool look (I prefer it anyway) and the fact that I've been drooling over these things since they came out, and I think it was the best thing for me to do.

And here's the deal: if I really hate it, I can always sell it for a little more than I put into it after the rebate offer is up. I can then put that money towards the Colt. I can't however do the same thing with the Colt; no rebate, and if I decided later to get the Sig then I'd probably take a 200 dollar hit on selling the Colt. So I'll run the thing through it's paces and if I don't approve, then Colt it is. I'll post a follow up report when I get the Sig in, which should be around next Wednesday.

I have a 6940 and absolutely love it. It shoots smooth and is accurate. I'm not fond of the rear sight but that can easily be changed but most likely will stay there because I'm saving up for an Aimpoint M2 or M4 scope and be done with it. I added a GG&G vertical grip so far and I love shooting it.

I would try to hold each one and try to get a chance to shoot both before you buy. Think of it as marriage, you wouldn't marry her first before taking her for "spin" first, would you? I mean what if it was just a horrible experience. Oh the regrets....

Edited by shefler29

I found a Sig 556 online--brand new--for 1300$ even. Factor in the factory rebate offer and I just paid 1000 dollars for that rifle. Also factor in the second kind of cool look (I prefer it anyway) and the fact that I've been drooling over these things since they came out, and I think it was the best thing for me to do.

And here's the deal: if I really hate it, I can always sell it for a little more than I put into it after the rebate offer is up. I can then put that money towards the Colt. I can't however do the same thing with the Colt; no rebate, and if I decided later to get the Sig then I'd probably take a 200 dollar hit on selling the Colt. So I'll run the thing through it's paces and if I don't approve, then Colt it is. I'll post a follow up report when I get the Sig in, which should be around next Wednesday.

When it comes right down to it there is probably not a dimes worth of difference in the quality and ruggedness between the two. Mostly just opinions on which one we like better. In the end, it's your rifle and you picked the one you wanted so congratulations and shoot the fucking shit out of it.

When it comes right down to it there is probably not a dimes worth of difference in the quality and ruggedness between the two. Mostly just opinions on which one we like better. In the end, it's your rifle and you picked the one you wanted so congratulations and shoot the fucking shit out of it.

+1...............................and WE NEED PICTURES when it arrives. :super:

I'm not fond of DI and my 6920 jams more than any of my other guns... even with a wet bolt. However, the ability to swap out uppers, add a .22 conversion kit, etc means an AR lower can be more than just one rifle. I've heard good stuff about the Sigs but haven't shot one... since they are still pretty new I'd wait to jump on that boat.

Maybe look at an AR-180 too?

Another option is to build your own AR for less, or look into a CMMG bargain bin. These are usually top quality rifles with a minor cosmetic defect so they sell them at a steep discount.

D'oh... just noticed you got a Sig already. Enjoy!

Edited by rob-cubed

I have an early model Sig 556 and just purchased the Swat Patrol 556 model as it feels more like an M4 carbine since it has a shorter gas tube than the original. It's also almost two pounds lighter than the full size 556, has Picatinny rail forestock, fully adjustable diopter sights and side-folding buttstock. Internally, the Sig 556 is a near Swiss-made AK-47 variant as anyone familiar with a Kalashnikov will quickly be adjusted to the rifles breakdown and function. It's a little heavier and the trigger is not as good as an AR-15, but it can be adjusted some. I have a 1-4X Millet DMS scope on my Sig and have had sub 2 MOA groups even with Wolf ammo. IMHO piston-driven AR-15 rifles have yet to prove themselves over the long run and issues such as "bolt-tilt" still haunt them. The Sig 556 is based off the proven Sig 550 series and has a service track record.

• 4 years later...