California legal Saiga .223

Yes, I have searched this forum and Calguns.net, but came up with nothing. My question is, I currently live in California and I'm going to convert my Saiga .223 with a pistol grip and raddlock (bullet button) my only concern is how am I going to reload the rifle if I can't/allowed to detach the magazine. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I'm not entirely "Cali savvy" (nor do I ever want to be) but it's my understanding that you cannot have a manually released magazine. That's the reason for replacing the thumb latch with a raddlock (bullet button). You are allowed to remove and reload your magazine, you just have to use a "tool" (a key or plunger or bullet tip from an unfired round) to release the magazine for replacement or reloading. The preposterous intent is to prevent "rapid reloading" of your "deadly assault weapon." Once again, I'm not positive of your regulations, but I believe that a "pronounced pistol grip" is also a no-no and you have to have a "stump stock" or "stock filler" to blend the pistol grip into the buttstock as pistol grips and even thumbhole stocks make your assault weapon more deadly and are therefore prohibited.

I did a bit more research, because I was curious myself. I've seen some butt-ugly "no pronounced handgrip" stocks on some firearms, but apparently you can have an AK with a pistol grip, you just have to have the bullet button mag release and magazines of 10 rounds or less or permanently blocked to 10 rounds or less. The following is info from a Cali legal dealer - not posting their name in case they are not a paid vendor:

California Legal AK47 Rifle For Sale , 762 x 39 semi auto rifle, these rifles have all the normal AK rifle features that you crave !! Pistol grip , bayonet lug, 16 inch chrome lined threaded barrel , able to take detachable mags, the rifles are built for us by Allied Arms on No Dak Spud top quality receivers with a pakerized finish. We then install a Bullet Button style device and ship the rifle with a blocked mag that will only take 9 -10 rounds this allows the rifle to be compliant in California due to the fact the magazine can not be easily removed. You will need to manipulate the mag latch with a bullet , small screw driver or other device & this is easy once you are familiar with the system . Rifle comes new with a 2 year warranty , mag catch bullet button style device , 30 round mag blocked off to 9 - 10 rounds. We will also be offering CA Legal AR 15 Rifles, CA Legal Saiga 12 Shotguns and CA Legal FAL .308 Style Rifles.

I did a bit more research, because I was curious myself. I've seen some butt-ugly "no pronounced handgrip" stocks on some firearms, but apparently you can have an AK with a pistol grip, you just have to have the bullet button mag release and magazines of 10 rounds or less or permanently blocked to 10 rounds or less. The following is info from a Cali legal dealer - not posting their name in case they are not a paid vendor:

California Legal AK47 Rifle For Sale , 762 x 39 semi auto rifle, these rifles have all the normal AK rifle features that you crave !! Pistol grip , bayonet lug, 16 inch chrome lined threaded barrel , able to take detachable mags, the rifles are built for us by Allied Arms on No Dak Spud top quality receivers with a pakerized finish. We then install a Bullet Button style device and ship the rifle with a blocked mag that will only take 9 -10 rounds this allows the rifle to be compliant in California due to the fact the magazine can not be easily removed. You will need to manipulate the mag latch with a bullet , small screw driver or other device & this is easy once you are familiar with the system . Rifle comes new with a 2 year warranty , mag catch bullet button style device , 30 round mag blocked off to 9 - 10 rounds. We will also be offering CA Legal AR 15 Rifles, CA Legal Saiga 12 Shotguns and CA Legal FAL .308 Style Rifles.

Thank you for all the awesome info! and thank you, once again, for researching it and posting it.

I live in California, Im surprised you couldn't find the info on Calguns.net.

Anyways, as long as you have a bullet button or raddlock just reloaded like normal.

Just because you have a bullet button doesn't mean you can't take off your magazine, thats the whole point of the bullet button type devices, they make it so that the magazine is "permanently" attached, yet can be easily removed with a tool.

At most ranges in CA you will see people with their AKs and ARs, they shoot, use a tool to take off the magazine, and pop another one in. Rinse and repeat.

Look up AK bullet buttons on the calguns google search tab. IMHO don't get the raddlock BB. You need to drill the rivet out to replace the mag catch. The tool that comes with that BB is kind of difficult to release the mag.

Look up jumbopanda or solar tactical bullet buttons. Those BB require no modification to your rifle.

http://www.solartactical.com/product.sc?productId=24&categoryId=1

the guy in the video is using a Raddlock

This Magazine Lock has been designed to conform to the law as written in CA Penal Code § 12276.1 (a) which defined "detachable magazine" means any ammunition feeding device that can be removed readily from the firearm with neither disassembly of the firearm action nor use of a tool being required. Title 11 CCR § 5469 (a) “A Bullet or Ammunition cartridge is considered a tool.”

Edited by AlliedArmory

Yes, I have searched this forum and Calguns.net, but came up with nothing. My question is, I currently live in California and I'm going to convert my Saiga .223 with a pistol grip and raddlock (bullet button) my only concern is how am I going to reload the rifle if I can't/allowed to detach the magazine. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You can detach your mag in Cali, you just need to use somekind of tool to release the Bullet Button so the mag will drop.