Recently there has been some robberies in my apartment complex and I'm considering purchasing a nice pistol grip pump around $300 to protect my family and my property. I'll be purchasing my saiga 7.62 this month but I'm afraid of stray rounds going through all the apartments on my floor so I crossed that one out as a home defense weapon. I'm just looking for anyone who has a nice reliable pump in there home and some opinions on the best one to get. I'm leaning towards something in the pic below but feel free to voice your opinion.

post-18006-12674896773104_thumb.jpg

I was considering a pistol grip for the cheap pump I have (870 clone NEF Pardner). But have seen more than a few postings by police/military that although the pistol grip pump looks good, it's not practical. The weapon is much more controllable with a standard stock on it. I'll take their word on that.

I agree with the S-12 suggestion unless there is a cost issue. In that case, get an NEF Pardner, $200 when on sale at Dick's.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=42171

Hello

Much as I like my S12's, I don't want to have to hand 'em over 'cause I greased some thug(s) with one of 'em. If things got wild 'n woolly I'd certainly grab for 'em, though.

I like my 870 with Surefire integrated light/front grip (pump) and Knoxx absorbing grip/stock. Best weapon-mounted light I have, and that's important for H/D. No real heartbreak about handing it over to the LEO's, either. Not like a S12, anyway.

JMHO....

guido

• Like 1

Go with a Saiga 12. Just sold my mossy 590 shotgun. I had all the goodies on it including knoxx stock recoil reduction. the day i got rid of that i bought my S12 took it out back behind the house and ran a few clips through. 3in OO buck. I still have the biggest grin on my face. it is much more comfortable. easy to control. the difference was night and day. all this before conversion... I have not even had it a week yet. It is easy for my wife to handle. dont get me wrong i liked my 590 but I love my S12.

As far as the light that has both pros and cons. personal i would not for two reason. you dont want to give away your position to your intruder. this is your home turff you should have all the advantages. plus you kill your night vision. Just my opinon. im sure others will have more for you to chew on..

+1 Pump action shotty is great for HD. Save your wrist, and improve your odds of hitting the BG by adding a quality stock to it. Breachers are great for blowing doors and for looking badass in movies. In real life, especially when you have youngin's in the house, why take chances on a miss?

• Like 1

Thanks for all the opinion's but a s12 is just not possible right now with the income I have :cryss:. I'll be hitting up the local dicks to pick something up with a stock.

Kiddjubbz, you're on the right track. Better to have that 200 dollar pump-action at the house, than wish you had that 600 dollar one you're still saving up for when shtf. Get what you can afford, there's tons of affordable and reliable SG's out there in your price range. Some of the guys on here like this one: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=23614

zoom_pardnerpump_protector.jpg

EDIT - My bad, Spartacus. Seems we had the same idea.

Here's my HD shotgun (sorry about the crappy phonecam pic):

675A0027.jpg

Winchester 1300 Defender, w/Hogue fore end, and Knoxx Spec-ops (recoil-reducing) stock. I got the gun in '07 for 219, as a discontinued model, and I love it. The fore end was 20, and the stock was another 100.

Edited by Kevin in Texas
  • Like 1

Man nothing wrong with a mossberg for the quality and value! But as suggested I would prolly go with a short barrel but with a buttstock. maybe even a buttstock with a Pistol grip. And then you can save up for that S12 while feeling safe in your home.

• Like 1

I keep a mossberg 500 with a surefire g2 looks alot like this but with out hte shell saddle I had a maverick with the same set up its hanging on the closet door for quick access I use low recoil tactical buck shot does alot of dmg with out alot of the recoil

post-17989-12674940883878_thumb.jpg

Recently there has been some robberies in my apartment complex and I'm considering purchasing a nice pistol grip pump around $300 to protect my family and my property. I'll be purchasing my saiga 7.62 this month but I'm afraid of stray rounds going through all the apartments on my floor so I crossed that one out as a home defense weapon. I'm just looking for anyone who has a nice reliable pump in there home and some opinions on the best one to get. I'm leaning towards something in the pic below but feel free to voice your opinion.

Just a suggestion, but if you want to hang on to that bad boy and control it in a SHTF situation, I have to go with others who recommend a shotty with a stock. At self defense ranges I like #6 bird shot. 7 yards = a hole about the size of a salad plate.

JMHO

My Mossberg 500 never let me down in the 20+ years I've had it. I had a pistol grip on it for a long time but I liked it much better when I put the buttstock back on it. That thing has been gathering a lot of dust since I discovered the S12. It sits out in the shop for when I can't get to any of my other shotties. Given the choice for home defense or anything else I prefer the S12.

Edited by DogMan
As far as the light that has both pros and cons. personal i would not for two reason. you dont want to give away your position to your intruder. this is your home turff you should have all the advantages. plus you kill your night vision. Just my opinon. im sure others will have more for you to chew on..

as far as the light thing goes i would put a light on it adjust the light like a site at about 15 to 20 feet depending on the longest shot you might have to take. put the light on the enemy pull the trigger and puff no more enemy. giving you postion a way is simple to remady remote switch for the light. and gun talk, i like my cheap mossburge 500 with a tri rail pistal grip and of couse a good bright lite. but there are so many good guns its all on what you like and how much you have to spend. dont forget about bying useed or upgrading later

as far as the light thing goes i would put a light on it adjust the light like a site at about 15 to 20 feet depending on the longest shot you might have to take. put the light on the enemy pull the trigger and puff no more enemy. giving you postion a way is simple to remady remote switch for the light. and gun talk, i like my cheap mossburge 500 with a tri rail pistal grip and of couse a good bright lite. but there are so many good guns its all on what you like and how much you have to spend. dont forget about bying useed or upgrading later

I have heard a lot of people say they dont like lights at night due to the fact that it can give away your position and the night blindness factor too. But imo I wouldnt worry about that in my home, only a real military type situation. The light on a home defense weapon serves a good purpose imo as it will blind the person it is shined at. Ya is will give away your position and cause some night blindness, but I would only use it when needed to make my shot or see in a room. My sure fire is the shit, and it lights up an entire room. I even tryed it on my buddy lol he couldnt see crap for a good few minutes after being hit with it in the dark. Lol i know thats prolly bad for his eyes, but hey it wasnt mine :lolol:

• Like 2

if you can, spend a few more bucks and get a remington 870 express tactical or a mossberg 590. if you look around both can be had for under $400 and you can put a pistol grip easily on either one. i have one of each (remington isn't the tactical version) and both are fine pump shotguns.

my $.02 :)

if you can, spend a few more bucks and get a remington 870 express tactical or a mossberg 590. if you look around both can be had for under $400 and you can put a pistol grip easily on either one. i have one of each (remington isn't the tactical version) and both are fine pump shotguns.

The NEF Pardner as mentioned above is a solid 870 clone and has a steel trigger guard vs. plastic on the 870 Express..... and it's $200.

Just sayin'.........

• Like 1

Hello

Unless you absolutely do not know anybody who would ever, possibly, be in your house at night, I could not recommend a H/D weapon without a good, reliable light. No way I would shoot someone without knowing for sure it was a bad guy, and that would be damn near impossible without seeing them. If I light 'em up, and they're not s'posed to be there, they can ponder on my location for the second or two before the 00 hits.

Castle Doctrine, baby!

Respectfully,

guido

• Like 2

In a home defense situation I don't think there is any question you are at a distinct advantage WITH a light. And in my opinion the brighter the better. For one thing you just have to know for sure what you are shooting at, especially if other people are in the house. Second, if you have ever been blasted by a 250+ lumen light in a dark room you know that it is very hard to aim at it if its right in your face. If the light is momentarily turned on then you destroy his night vision so you win either way. In my opinion you do not give away your position with a bright light as much as you give away your general direction. On the other hand you know exactly who and where your adversary is and have him dead in your sights. Don't forget that he may have a light, too. One more thing, just because you have a light doesn't mean you have to use it in every situation.

• Like 2

http://shop.peachstateguns.com/product.sc?productId=687&categoryId=146 don't forget the forum discount.....extremely fuckin hard to beat that deal

+1

For pumps I like the mossy.

Simply for the fact that the slide release can be operated by my thumb with a PG stockset.

I see videos of people really working the 870 quickly, but I just can't get the feel I can on the Mossy.

The pardner protector takes the same stuff made for the 870, but none of it fits perfectly. but on the cheap, go for it.

All that being said, unless you live in an older house with thick floors & hardwoods on top of that, shit will be able to go through walls & floors with a 12 gauge just like the AK. the biggest difference is 15 pellets the size of .25 cals, instead of 1 bullet, so aim well.

• Like 1

The NEF Pardner as mentioned above is a solid 870 clone and has a steel trigger guard vs. plastic on the 870 Express..... and it's $200.

Just sayin'.........

sounds good, and in the op's price range for sure. i just can't personally recommend a shotgun i haven't fired or owned, and i like the 7 and 8 shell capacity of the two i mentioned as opposed to the 5 of new england one.

that's my $.04 lol

Another vote here for the Pardner Protector. I have one and love it, for a pump. Every 870 accessory fits it, except barrels (and some mag extensions will protrude past the barrel, functioning fine, but awkward looking). It's cheap, and it's rock solid. While I wouldn't want to see it stolen or leave my possession because I actually had to use it in an HD scenario.........if one of my guns had to, I'd lose no sleep over a $200 pump.

I'd also recommend keeping the traditional stock, over the PG-only setup. I put a PG-only on my Pardner. It was OK for shits-n-giggles when shooting it, but it's more of a novelty accessory, IMO. People use "but it's easier to maneuver in a house" for why they use a PG-only. But on another forum, a guy took pics and showed how he could easily tuck the butt under his arm and it's same amount if gun sticking out in front of you, as the PG-only. Which makes sense when you think about it. So either keep the factory stock on it, or if you upgrade, stay with another traditional-type full stock. That's my $.02 anyway.

"It's Chinese made" is about the only "bad" thing you'll find on the Pardners, if you read around online. Performance-wise, there's absolutely no reason not to go with it. It's built like a tank, and is slightly heavier than an 870. Which would only be a problem if you're built like a 12 year old girl. :angel:

The pardner protector takes the same stuff made for the 870, but none of it fits perfectly. but on the cheap, go for it.

The 870 aftermarket buttstock and PG-only I put on my Pardner fit perfectly. But I will say, that the 870 Hogue handguard did need some filing on the inside to slide on. But I agree, for being so cheap, it's something I can deal with.

Just sayin'.........

sounds good, and in the op's price range for sure. i just can't personally recommend a shotgun i haven't fired or owned, and i like the 7 and 8 shell capacity of the two i mentioned as opposed to the 5 of new england one.

that's my $.04 lol

870 mag extensions work on the Pardner. Also, there's a guy who makes custom extensions for Pardners.

I went with a Maverick 88 for HD. Bought it online for under 2 bills and added an ATI stock. Just about all furniture is interchangeable with a Mossy 500, if you want a different forearm you need to replace the slide, not a problem for any of us who have restored a Saiga. I know, I need to get a better flashlight!!

I am definitely getting a S12 but needed something in the meantime.

DSCN0213.jpg

Edited by chupa

I've got a Mossberg 500 (JIC) 12g with an 18" barrel. As far as accessories: a heat shield on the barrel (saved my hands more than once but I wish I got the one with ghost ring sights), ProMag pistol grip and telescoping stock, a Hogue rubber sleeve for the pistol grip (really helps), an ATI vertical forend grip, and this cool little flashlight/laser combo I got at Dick's that has 8 bright white LEDs and a poorly aligned laser with a pressure switch. I was hoping the laser would be straighter but who needs it for this gun? I'd just use it to hit an intruder in the pupils anyway. It is a good purchase for a $40 light considering you can do laser only, light only, or laser and light at the same time. Also, the lighter birdshot shells (#6-8) are what I use to avoid over-penetration. Some may say birdshot doesn't have enough "umph" for home defense, but I'd like to see somebody volunteer to take a load of it in the chest.