While I have no doubt about the S-12's capabilities.........I only use mine for fun-gunning. Actually, that's what all of my guns get used for at this time. I don't hunt, and I'm not involved in any sort of competitive shooting events. I hope to change that one day, though. I'd like to give 3-gun a try at some point. I'd also like to take some carbine/pistol courses for fun and learning (I'd really love to be able to get into a Magpul Dynamics course). I'd also like to give some clay-shooting a try.

As for HD, I used to keep my converted x39 Saiga next to my bed. Now a pump shotgun resides there. I live in the burb's, and I can almost reach out the windows on the sides of my house and touch my neighbors' houses. Needless to say, a 7.62x39 missing it's target in my (very small) house could have horrible consequences. I'm definitely more proficient with my Saiga, but for the sake of my neighbors, I don't think it's a good choice for me and my HD needs, personally.

I know we got quite a few guys here who run their S12's competitively and do quite well. Probably even more so with the arrival of magwell's and mid-barrel brakes on S12's.

I use mine for:

Competition: Yes, 3 gun. They all liked to see my drum. What's that? How many rounds? :eek:

Defense: Yes, I've only had 1 failure to eject in competition and it was my fault, I didn't have it tight to my shoulder after a reload. I don't have any hesitations. Just keep the mag in with the bolt locked open or leave the mag out and there will be no shell deformation.

Range: No, I didn't buy it for this.

Plinker: Yes, good fun. :super:

You can't find any shotgun shells? Just buy some of walmarts value pack its not to bad.

Hunting: Yes, I took mine deer hunting this year and I'm going to take it on a coyote hunt to. I only used my 5 round mag but I could use a MD drum. If there is a limit to the number of rounds that you can have in your gun just use a 5 round mag and get a dowel rod to put inside of the spring. Cut it off at what ever length you need to so that you can't add more the max amount of rounds allowed.

I mostly use mine for fun on the range, clay shooting, and generating envy. We do have an open snow goose season here in Kansas where were can run unplugged guns. I haven't had a chance to go since i got my S12 but may have to make some. Something about emptying a MD20 into a group of a 100 or so birds just seems fun. :devil:

I use mine for:

Competition: Yes, 3 gun. They all liked to see my drum. What's that? How many rounds? :eek:

Defense: Yes, I've only had 1 failure to eject in competition and it was my fault, I didn't have it tight to my shoulder after a reload. I don't have any hesitations. Just keep the mag in with the bolt locked open or leave the mag out and there will be no shell deformation.

Range: No, I didn't buy it for this.

Plinker: Yes, good fun. :super:

You can't find any shotgun shells? Just buy some of walmarts value pack its not to bad.

Hunting: Yes, I took mine deer hunting this year and I'm going to take it on a coyote hunt to. I only used my 5 round mag but I could use a MD drum. If there is a limit to the number of rounds that you can have in your gun just use a 5 round mag and get a dowel rod to put inside of the spring. Cut it off at what ever length you need to so that you can't add more the max amount of rounds allowed.

Why a drum? I looked at them and went with the magwell and what some call the donkeydong mags for 3 gun. IPSC shooters overseas are big into Saiga and they Frankenmag everything. This guy is working with what kind of stuff I'm working up to.

post-20842-12675466863682_thumb.jpg

I went with the drum because it is shorter and you don't have to do any messing with it to work right. The drum is $120 and done or 2 mags and hope that your mag doesn't break.

I have a mag well for agp's but I just can't bring myself to cut up all of my mags to use it.

How are you donkeydonging yours? I just don't have experience to try to do something like that.

I did this for a donkeydong mag:

I'll be doing a 20 rounder soon. I just need to remember to call for the springs.

For me it's mostly self defense and a fun gun. I did shoot a nice gobbler with it last fall and will be taking it for spring gobbler in a few months. Maybe this time I''ll take a decent hunting picture clearly showing the S-12.

I went with the drum because it is shorter and you don't have to do any messing with it to work right. The drum is $120 and done or 2 mags and hope that your mag doesn't break.

I have a mag well for agp's but I just can't bring myself to cut up all of my mags to use it.

How are you donkeydonging yours? I just don't have experience to try to do something like that.

I'll be doing a 20 rounder soon. I just need to remember to call for the springs.

my plain jane gun with frankenmag, screwed to make mags make it easy and the ribs follow the contour of the radius, add fiberglass and 2 10s become 1 19. overseas they also have +2 floor plates.

post-20842-12675581797234_thumb.jpg

my plain jane gun with frankenmag, screwed to make mags make it easy and the ribs follow the contour of the radius, add fiberglass and 2 10s become 1 19. overseas they also have +2 floor plates.

I'd like to see that with a couple 12 rnd mags.

I'd like to see that with a couple 12 rnd mags.

R&R has a set up for the 12 rnd stuff, check it out on his site.

If I am having a bad day, a 20 round drum unloaded on some stuffed animals makes it bearable!

I look at the shotgun platform to be the most versatile firearm on the planet. You can knock down chipmunks and doves all the way to elk and moose with the same gun.

Mine is more than reliable enough to use for self-defense. If yours has reliability issues, do some searching on the forum to find out how to fix it!

What are you doing for a spring in it?

What mag well is that?

Edited by Racer 27

Springs in my Frankenmags are just the SureFire ones out of their 12 shot mag, so far they have worked fine with plenty of tension 1st to last shot, I don't leave them loaded.

I would think one of these would work for your 20 rounder.

Sorry earlier I misread your posting about your up coming 20 rnd mag and had 20 gauge on the brain (for whatever reason) so the springs we have coming are geared to a product line we are working on and would be useless to you. Can't talk about mags got my postings pulled, so I'm trying to not step on toes. Sometimes information and marketing go hand in hand. Which is fair enough.

The Magwell on my gun is an old style R&R one / Jack Travers design, R&R offers a new style and I think Travers markets his on his web site and is carried by CSS. The newer styles are longer and may or may not be better. I went with the shorter ones for 2 reasons: one I wanted to modify it for use with all the mags available (research) and 2 it was cheaper.

Edited by going12220

One more point on using the Saiga for self defense: First lets say from the function and reliability stand point all things are equal on every gun out there. I have no question in my mind that a shotgun is better than any handgun for stopping an aggressor. With also the understanding that it's harder to hit some thing or one with a handgun. The however comes when it's over with the person you had to deal with in the emergency now you have the police and very likely the court to deal with. I am a firm believer in tried by 12 beats carried by 6 always, when the prosecutor shows the evidence to the jury they'll see either one of two guns. Last item is I was always told use a unmodified gun with factory ammo or you can get your saved from the 1st bad ass into jail with a 1,000 of his grieving brothers.

post-20842-12675732834181_thumb.jpg

post-20842-12675733007571_thumb.jpg

Competition: From the shear number of people who look at this forum and the number of Saigas bought, modified, and owned I'd expect to see 50% of the people at a 3 gun match using one, but it's just me and 1 or 2 others out of 30 or so people. :killer:

More and more S12's are finding their way into competition, grows a lil'more everytime some snob gets outgunned and gets curious.

Defense: I know a few others have them but most say theirs isn't reliable enough for a match so knowing I catch hell for it I wouldn't think of it as a good defense weapon. I have several semi-autos for matches but have long chosen a revolver for a might need it really bad gun. 6 for sure is better than a stack of maybes. Most mag fed guns don't like to be left loaded for extended periods and I haven't tested it but have read that shells left a long time in a Saiga tend to deform the top on anyway. :ded:

Bolt hold open & mag inserted equals no deformity, rack and let fly. Mine is reliable, and is my secondary go to gun for Home & Property, first is my XD9.

I can, do and will leave mags loaded for long periods, never a problem, work every time.

Range: I haven't seen them at the skeet range or clays courses, I use my more "conventional" SKB or 1100 there (like a rib and beads better). :donatello:

I shoot clays regularly, made a convert after allowing someone to shoot the S12 on clays outta the wobbler.

18" with 10rnd mags, no choke, ghost ring sites, and pistol gripped... Love it, love the looks on the snobs faces.

Plinker: I occasionally go out and blast off a mag or two at a pile of targets (fun to watch bottles and jugs bust and jump) but with shells as high and hard to find as they are don't get to play as much as I'd like too. :unsure:

Mag dumps are pure joy, tattered targets galore, box after box of slugs at 50-75yrds into 8" targets... Plink, plink, plink, plink, plink, plink

I see ammo everywhere, cheapo bulk, moderately priced target/hunting and high dollarshit... I have no trouble finding anything I want.

Hunting: For the most part hunting laws seem to work against their use. :oops:

I've seen plenty of folks post their trophies taken with the S12, fur and feathers.

Which States ban the use of semi auto shotties?

I also have an AR but I see them at every match I go to.

So you got one what is the application?

All of the above.

Edited by ChileRelleno

1: I wouldn't think twice about grabbing my first S-12 for defense. Its been put through the ringer, and its reliable. the new one needs to have some fine tuning yet and get tested properly befor I feel right about grabbing it.

2: I can't find 3 gun matches any closer than rochester. I wish I could do this more localy.

3: Hunting? with 2 and 5 round mags what CAN'T I hunt?

4: I have brought my S-12 out for clays multiple times. The gun does fine, I'm still very new to the sport however.

I love that band!

oswald-thumb.jpg

Yeah so do I...

Their name is "The Outfit"

The real lead singer Sam Giancana died in, I believe, 75 shortly before being scheduled to testify for the senate.

sam_giancana.jpg

As for good uses for the S-12...

It's great as a don't fuck with me gun, when dealing with certain select "associates".

Same family as the Tommygun, Uzi, & the

39M16Flash.jpg

Edited by Paulyski

As for good uses for the S-12...

It's great as a don't fuck with me gun, when dealing with certain select "associates".

Same family as the Tommygun, Uzi, & the

39M16Flash.jpg

Pretty much my favorite movie of all time, right there. :super:

It's good for everything that you think it isn't good for. If you want one with bad sights, buy one that comes with a bead and rail, not the one with rifle sights used for actually hitting things not made out of clay with things other than birdshot.

Why do you have an AR-15? They're worthless for hunting, they've proven to be less than ideal for shooting humans, you can't shoot clays with them, etc.

Obvious troll post was obvious.

I have the long barreled version and I've used it for just about everything. Three-guns (more reliable and patterns better than a benelli), bird hunting (meh), deer hunting (slugs), coyote hunting (#4 shot), trap and skeet (#9 cycles fine, hits well), and general blasting shit.

I also keep it in the room for HD.

Shane