What is the silver tab next to the trigger guard?

It is called the "Bolt Hold Open". You will se it referred to as the BHO in many posts. Pull back on the charging handle and push up on the BHO. Hold the BHO up then let go of the charging handle and you will see the function of the BHO.

Edited by oliverb

I tried searching and couldn't find an answer. I just picked up my first Saiga today and I'm having trouble figuring out what this silver tab is for:

IMG_2399.JPG

Thanks

That is the bold hold open tab. When your bolt carrier is pulled back, you can press up on the tab, and let your bolt carrier rest against it. Some ranges require an open bold during "cold" range periods. Also if you need to check your chamber, or internals without field stripping, or holding the bolt carrier back it can be very convenient.

Some people leave them in when converting. Some people insist they are just a nuisance. Personally, I use mine frequently at the range I shoot at, so I'm very happy to have it.

Yeah I plan to leave mine in when I convert (hopefully saturday? we'll see) not because I like it but because some day I might shoot someplace where they say I need it.

I restored keeping mine as well one thing I wished I had known was that the lever needs to be trimmed once you install the fcg the lever is right on your finger I'm right handed might not be so bad if your a lefty.

I had to take mine back apart to grind off the lever if I had to do it over I would have scribed a line on the lever before taking her apart almost flush with the receiver when the bho is engaged then grinding it off when having her apart to restore.

Edited by Naear
  • Like 1

Yeah I cut mine down a bit and kept it in for conversion. Now I realize that I've never once used it. My next build it will most likely be tossed. If you get a Krebs safety it has a notch cut into it to hold the bolt back. (If range rules are your only concern.)

Congrats on the rifle!

Yeah I plan to leave mine in when I convert (hopefully saturday? we'll see) not because I like it but because some day I might shoot someplace where they say I need it.

I restored keeping mine as well one thing I wished I had known was that the lever needs to be trimmed once you install the fcg the lever is right on your finger I'm right handed might not be so bad if your a lefty.

I had to take mine back apart to grind off the lever if I had to do it over I would have scribed a line on the lever before taking her apart almost flush with the receiver when the bho is engaged then grinding it off when having her apart to restore.

Thanks for the tip, I would have made the same mistake. You just saved me some aggravation!

I would't shorten the tab until it's flush with the receiver. While it is still in the gun, push it up all the way and draw a pencil line along the receiver edge. Then shorten it to leave just a small amount extended when it is fully depressed. It will still clear the trigger nicely.

Check out the "bho" device on Krebs KTR-08 ak variant. Pretty cool. Not sure if its the correct name for it but it utilizes the safety selector lever to hold open the bolt. It does this by having a milled out notch to receive the operating handle and hold it open. Does anyone know if that can be fitted onto the saiga rifles?

I would't shorten the tab until it's flush with the receiver. While it is still in the gun, push it up all the way and draw a pencil line along the receiver edge. Then shorten it to leave just a small amount extended when it is fully depressed. It will still clear the trigger nicely.

You ever had your dust cover off and had the bolt back enough the BHO lever hits the bolt carrier note how much of the tab is sticking out.

Then move the bolt carrier back and push the tab all the way in note how much is sticking out compare the two mines about 3/16" difference your fine grinding the tab flush when the BHO is engaged.

It worked for me unless my rifle is one of a kind...