7.62x39 Soft point ammo

So if a guy was to wants to hunt Deer with his Saiga 7.62x39 and FMJ is not legal to hunt with, Does he have to reload to get a soft point hunting round? Is there a commercially available round? I have never heard anything but bad reviews on the feeding of Hollow Piont ammo of this caliber.

I really don't want to invest in reloading stuff for this, I can hunt with other rifles, I just really want to use my Saiga 7.62x39 next season.

So if a guy was to wants to hunt Deer with his Saiga 7.62x39 and FMJ is not legal to hunt with, Does he have to reload to get a soft point hunting round? Is there a commercially available round? I have never heard anything but bad reviews on the feeding of Hollow Piont ammo of this caliber.

I really don't want to invest in reloading stuff for this, I can hunt with other rifles, I just really want to use my Saiga 7.62x39 next season.

Bro, Wolf makes soft point rounds in 7.62x39. My Yugo AK used to eat hollow points like no one's business, too. Don't know how the Saiga handles soft points though. PM for info on SP bullets and I will try to point you in the right direction. I'm thinking of using SP 7.62x39 on a mountain lion hunt in a few weeks!

Edited by Waite

In my experience, Saiga 7.62x39 mm's will eat up any kind of ammo you throw at it. Hell, I've mostly been shooting HPs lately, but then again, Russian 7.62x39 mm HPs are not the conventional hollow points. It's typically the SKS' and Mini 30s, that have problems with different ammo types. Any way, Wolf makes 150 gr soft points, which are supposed to be good. I've used the locally available 123 gr Silver Bear SPs for hunting. Dropped a big doe with one shot a couple of years ago. The terminal effects seemed rather devastating.

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

cor-bon loads the dpx and a 150gr soft point

EDIT: go to midwayusa and look at all they have for 7.62x39...not saying bu from there but they have most if not all of the "high end" loads

Edited by Donkismash

I'm just looking for a reliable kill shot on a Deer at 100 yards. The area I hunt is dense river bottom with thick cover. The Deer can be as far as maybe 120 yds or as close as 20 yds. I will be using open sights, stalking, and some hunting from blinds.

I am actually planning to load up 40 rounds over the next couple of days... not sure if I want to go with 125's or 150 grain Sierra soft point spitzers.

The load will be charged with BLC2 powder. The load data calls for a CCI 200 Large rifle primer, however... the brass I have ( Remington headstamp ) are all SMALL RIFLE primed. Which from what I understand is how some of Remington manufactured their brass.

I will also change the load to a magnum small rifle primer, to get a little faster/more complete ignition...not to mention they are supposedly just a touch thicker than the standard SR primer.

Sometimes you have to be just a little bit creative in your reloading... When things dont come out quite right from what the "published data" calls for... It helps to know a little more about things...than that one source does, anyways... LOL

:smoke:

The Remington is top notch ammo and expensive. The SB is cheaper and legal SP.

Explain to me how the SB is LEGAL where the other ammo is NOT?!?!?!

Heh well don't get your panties in a wad, the SB SP being legal to hunt with as FMJ not being so and some HP rounds not expanding making the SP preferred. It is also cheap and feeds perfect.

The Remington is top notch ammo and expensive. The SB is cheaper and legal SP.

Explain to me how the SB is LEGAL where the other ammo is NOT?!?!?!

Heh well don't get your panties in a wad, the SB SP being legal to hunt with as FMJ not being so and some HP rounds not expanding making the SP preferred. It is also cheap and feeds perfect.

There was no wad... I saw what I missed about FMJ not legal to hunt with, after I reread the thing, but by that point there were a bunch of posts in between already so I didnt bother to delete my duh. LOL :up:

Well I purchased some of the Silver Bear SP ammo today. We'll take it to the range in the morning and see how it does. It's a good start anyway, practice makes perfect for the fall hunting season.

Well I purchased some of the Silver Bear SP ammo today. We'll take it to the range in the morning and see how it does. It's a good start anyway, practice makes perfect for the fall hunting season.

Did you make it to the Range? How was the SP..

I just got some Wolf SP...

My best group was 2" and my worst was 5". I shot 8 groups of 3 shots each. The crappy thing was that I forgot my spotting scope again and I'm shooting "Irons", so, I would shoot 3 shots, walk down range to see the results, then go back for the next 3 shots and repeat.

Difficult to make corrections on shooter error in that situation. So I will be at the range 12 hours from this post, WITH my scope, and we will see if I can't improve on that. I'm not dissapointed but I know I can do better.

Brought the spotting scope and had the same results. My average group wtih the soft point Silver bear was about 4" at 100 yards.Nothing like my bolt action rifle, but I think that with practice I will be confident enough to hunt with it. I am going to try a couple other types before making a final choice on hunting rounds.

Most of my shot opportunities will be less than 100 yards but I would like to get that group average down a bit just the same.

Edit... I'll have to remember to practice the short range shots as well! They (Deer) can be as close as 10 or 20 yards. I don't think I have ever shot my rifle at a target that close.

Edited by RobRez

4MOA isnt bad for a MBR did you compare to FMJ or HP to see what difference there may be? Might want to give brass a try I always keep a couple of boxes of Remington Express for just such occasions. I did something like that for my x39 at 50yds/meters and found the brass more dependable somewhere on the forum. I tend to think the deer wont care that the round took out its lungs instead its heart ya know.

Yeah, I am being a little bit picky here with the accuracy. It's just that I am spoiled by consistant 2' or 2 1/2" groups at 100 yds with the Wolf FMJ ammo. Thursday I'll get a box or 2 of Hollow point from the same joint I found the SP bullets. Sucks to pay per 20 rounds, but their bulk prices are a wee bit high. So without knowing about performance, I'll get a little at a time.

Should I expect any drastic difference at 15 yards? Compared to 50 or 100? Does a bullet have as much "rise" as it does "drop?"

• 2 weeks later...

i have some "midway" manufactured soft point 7.62x39, i'm pretty sure they are loaded with good .308 american bullets....i try not to shoot them tho, i think they might be kinda rare.....the wolf and or foriegn made soft points dont expand like what you want because of the super strong jacket...