My first shotgun

It is Vepr-12 Molot :)

Produced by Molot factory (manufacturer of the RPK machineguns) in 2009.

Buy used for about $750, brand new costs $1100.

Vepr looks much more quality then Saiga, have magwell, flashhider, picatinny rails, lbho, regulated RPK iron sight, two 8-rounder mags.

pict2682.jpg

pict2681n.jpg

pict2683.jpg

pict2684.jpg

pict2685x.jpg

Sorry for mobilephone photos quality

Edited by aefimcev
  • Like 1

Very nice gun indeed. The bolt carrier (exc. the control rod) looks interchangeable with the Saiga as does the bolt. I really like the additional picatinny rail real estate on the gun. And the aesthetics are killer! The bottom of the bolt carrier has been milled, and I'm guessing the hammer has likewise been milled and profiled to improve cycling.

Aside from the obvious cosmetic differences the Molot is pretty close to the Saiga in its construction. Does it have the same FTE issues with low brass ammo as the Saiga? Looking at the work on the bolt carrier (the bolt looks untouched), I would suspect that the guns have some common issues along with a great deal of common DNA.

I would love to get my hands on one to field test it with different types of ammo. What if any cycling issues have you encountered with the Vepr, and what ammo seems to cycle best with your gun?

Looking forward to learning more!

Another question that occurs to me, is how is spare parts availability for the Molot? I would love to get hold of some of the forend funiture and see how adaptable it is to Saiga. Also bolt carriers, and bolts for Saiga are extremely hard to obtain. How is availability of all spare parts where you are located (somewhere in or near Russia?).

Looks like the gas block with integrated sight could be fairly easily adapted for Saiga. Can you send close up shots, and the name of parts suppliers?

Thanks in advance for as much info as you can provide.

I would have happily paid $1100 for all the work I had done to mine. HAPPILY! (it cost a lot more than $1100 unfortunately :devil: )

Along with a Tula AKSU kit and a KBI Drag, the VEPR12 is something I've been lusting after for a long time.

Positively badass!

OP, thanks for posting pics...I love it!

Z

Edited by TX-Zen

<Link Removed>

Planet are the Euro distributors based in Germany although more expensive than Russia. The owner is Dirk Frey the top Open class shotgun shooter in Germany,take a look at the custom Vepr 12 & Saigas on his web pages.Selling parts to the US should be no problem for him.

Over here in the Uk a local dealer in looking to import Vepr 12's from Germany although we have a minimum barrel law of 24" & all the Euro models are currently in 19" at the moment.

A basic pistol grip saiga from Rusmilitary will be £ 1000 ( $ 1600 )from april & the Vepr's should work out the same but with much better features as standard.

Saiga now own Molt Machine ( vepr) & a new range will be shown at IWA - thats the Euro version of the Shot show .............. only open to dealers & press ............. if any one on the managment at Saiga12.com can authorise me as an offical press person for this website i can get into the show & post lots of pictures . :killer:

Molot factory website http://www.molot.biz/product-e/molot205.php

Edited by Nailbomb
Non-Buisness member link removed
  • 1 year later...

Hi, im digg out my really old topic for posting some new impressions.

Last summer and autumn went to the range every 1-2 week and shoot about 100 rounds, all of them are low brass sporting birdshot.

FTE ratio is about 1-2% mostly due crappy rounds. With quality rounds my Vepr never jams.

Once participate ipsc shortgun match, it was fun. All shooters in the open class had Veprs and only one had Saiga :)

My Vepr now with steel magwell and five new 8-rnds mags ($150 for five mags). Magwell and mags are Molot manufactured.

pict3279g.jpg

pict3282.jpg

pict3281.jpg

pict3280.jpg

Edited by aefimcev

^Maybe thats why the '10 model Saiga's are getting the LRBHO? Just a thought.

i just bought a '10 saiga-12 and it does NOT have LRBHO. got it for about $1,600 stock. had the Molot VEPR been available here in our part of the world, i'd gladly pay more. I was lusting for the VEPR but wasn't available here so i got the S12. I'm happy with the S12 though. no regrets.