I've become extremely disgusted with modern warfare 2 and have moved on to Battlefield: Bad Company 2. Reasons include zero customer support from Infinity Ward/Activision on a number of issues that have been present since day 1, repeated instances of hackers and cheaters that simply get a VAC ban every 3 weeks and then get a free CD key from the site they bought the hack from after the ban, placing them RIGHT back on (that's how the hacking works), balance issues, no dedi servers, etc.

Most of my issues are as a PC end user of MW2. IW really screwed us PC users on MW2 and catered pretty much to console gamers. That's cool. I used my dollar and went somewhere else. I have a machine that is far more capable than a ps3 or an xbox360 and far more versatile by nature when it comes to game sizes and such; being forced to work with console architecture is simply ludicrous. Don't get me wrong. I like my xbox and ps3. But they serve a different purpose, gaming wise, than my pc.

For the PC user...

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 has:

*Dedicated servers- can pick a server near you with a good ping. No more people hosting games on 500 dollar e-machines/crappy connections. Can also kick for hacking or violating server rules.

*No prone-prevents dolphin diving

*No killstreaks- those are pretty cool, gotta admit, but some are simply ridiculous and serve no purpose other than to ruin the game (nuke; not too hard to get either)

*Destructable environment- I wanna go through a wall? I blow it up. Also makes good rubble for cover.

*Vehicles- can drive anything from helicopters to jetskis to bradleys, lots of vehicles and passenger spots!

*32 player battles- nothing like 256 in MAG or 64 player wake island but it beats the hell out of 4v4 mw2.

There are other things too...

I simply like this game MUCH more than MW2 and that's saying a lot, because I really liked MW2 especially when it first came out.

Now the bad:

The game, on release a few days ago, got overloaded with people playing and the EA pub servers went down. However, they've already sent out a new server.exe to people running servers and are actively working on the EA pub servers as well as posting regular updates on forums, twitter and on the in game news ticker feed.

This game had release problems- it got overwhelmed. Hordes of people are coming from mw2 and the battlefield series has always been pretty popular. There were also issues with punkbuster relating to people still having the beta client installed but those have largely been worked out when they released another punkbuster install a day after release to deal with the problem.

This game, for its release faults, has gotten more customer support from EA/DICE in 24 hours than mw2 has gotten for MONTHS on the PC. hell, Infinity Ward's paid employee who is supposed to handle community complaints for the PC hasn't even logged into his own forums in over 2 weeks. That's just piss poor customer service right there. Contrast that with developers, not just community managers, posting on the BC2 forums and actively responding to people's tweets over twitter and you have a clear advantage.

EA/DICE better not screw this up. They have the potential to gather every single PC user who got fanagled by the snake oil that is IWNet matchmaking and MW2 and the lack of customer support for the PC while the console people get actual updates and content.

So who else is playing this?

If you're on PC, we should get together and play it. It doesn't use steamworks; rather EA online.

Edited by Tsm002

Steam doesn't work in BFBC2 like it does other games. It just launches the game and you have to use the BF friends crap like everybody else. So far it's one of the buggiest games I've ever played.

~It won't recognize me as a "battlefield veteran" because their servers for that are dead right now.

~I cannot log on to the game to play it right now because their servers for that are dead right now.

~I cannot go to their website for support because their servers for THAT are dead right now.

~I cannot get a server list to come up and have to join the server that a friend is in to play, probably because their servers are dead right now.

~Punk Buster immediately boots my friend that I grew up with, so he can't ever play the game. I'm very surprised that my computer is allowing me to play a punk buster game.

~The game boots windowed and takes a whole lot of clicking around to get it to full screen, as when it is windowed you can't click anything for a while. Gotta watch the intro videos and such.

The game looks fun. I can't wait to be able to play it again.

On the game, my name is

Twinsen OConnor

Edited by Twinsen

Yeah, it's being completely overhauled this weekend. Something IW should have done the first week of MW2 but chose to leave until....well....they still haven't LOL.

According to the dev posts on the UK forums the game was overwhelmed from day one. Not sure how much I buy that since the beta client download numbers were in the MILLIONS. However, EA/DICE have a history of underestimating this stuff going back to BF2 so it's whatever. And honestly I'm happy theyre overhauling it instead of patching crap up once every few months and not responding on forums.

Every single ea pub server is down while they rewrite the entire thing and they are supposedly implementing an entire new server browser over the weekend. I can absolutely verify that there has been a new server side exe released (r5, current is r4) so those server admins that are on top of things should have things fixed on that end. Private servers are up. Some are running r4, some r5. Eventually all will be running r5 which handles a LOT of issues like ping not showing properly and certain toggles not acting properly (like autobalance).

I was unable to play yesterday for most of the day but am now able to do things just fine. I am also able to access my m1 garand that I had put in for previously and didn't show up. That's nice. Should have come out the door like that but hey...

I got a 20 dollar coupon for another EA game upon calling EA and asking for an ETA on servers going up!

Here is the UK forum:

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-bad-company-2-pc/

The post that alerted me to the possibility of getting a coupon is in there somewhere. Was surprised it worked. Will probably hold it for Mass Effect 3. Note that the coupon is not an EA policy but is fully dependent on you getting a customer service rep that you can convince to give you one. Bottom line is, they have the authority to give them to mitigate customer dissatisfaction and some have been. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. There is also talk from devs on the UK forum about there being some sort of compensation globally for all BC:2 players in the form of a small gimme dlc or something. Works for me. WTH. I've been conditioned by piss poor pc customer service lol.

Personally I think that EA should have waited until VERY late Friday to bring things down but they didn't. Oh well. At least as PC users we are getting attention, something that many companies (not just IW) seem to have forgotten how to do as they keep having console circle jerks and leaving us out in the cold.

Their EA forums are hosted on the same servers that host the ea online account games. However, the ea.uk forums are absolutely up and the developers are and have been posting actively there to post updates about what they're doing. Wish they would leave a redirect at the old address but meh.

Punkbuster has a new install that has been released, especially for those who had the beta. I was getting PB kicks as well. Once I installed the new PB client it worked just fine.

Honestly, the PB thing frustrated me until I went back to MW2 for a game or two while the servers came back online yesterday for the clans I play with.

I then realized why punkbuster makes this game great:

Joined 3 different HC TDM matches, all of which had aimbotters in them.

The first time you see someone get booted for botting it's like manna from heaven. It really is.

Edited by Tsm002

Bad Company is bad ass. I have been telling my friends about the first bad company and all they can say is its no MW. Well they tried BC2 demo and are hooked.

I was big into PC gaming for a long time but console gaming has reach the level most gamers are looking for with the 360. I have not even cared for PC games since the 360 came out and many other gamer's I know also no longer buy PC games or fast gaming computers.

Bad Company is bad ass. I have been telling my friends about the first bad company and all they can say is its no MW. Well they tried BC2 demo and are hooked.

I was big into PC gaming for a long time but console gaming has reach the level most gamers are looking for with the 360. I have not even cared for PC games since the 360 came out and many other gamer's I know also no longer buy PC games or fast gaming computers.

I think a large part of it has to do with many publishers abandoning the flexible potential of the PC as a platform in favor of more standardized and consistent platforms that consoles present.

If I code something for a 360 I know that every single end user will be able to use it. Not so for a PC. Makes you have to work harder but the potential for a PC is far greater than a console, especially for games that are expected to have a lifespan of more than one year. However, we see more and more console ports coming to the PC that are frankly utter crap. It's funny because it used to be the other way around! Consoles would get shitty pc ports.

I still use my PC mainly for FPS games. There is simply no substitute for a mouse and keyboard for an FPS. It just feels odd. Even games I loved on the 360 like Gears of War felt odd at first.

Honestly, PC gaming is dying. And it's not because the PC is not a viable platform. It is potentially the absolute best gaming platform, being able to do anything a console can do and then FAR more, in all respects save one: being easy to code for.

But even that's not a big deal. It's really not. Minimum specs exist for a reason and as long as you don't pull a Crysis and make a game no one can play for a year after release it's usually simply a matter of having a good tech support staff to issue patches regularly, another area PC's excel at.

Microsoft limits 3rd party DLC and patches to once per quarter, as I understand it, unless fees are paid to MS. Quite exorbitant fees at times. While this allows for quality updates and keeps things streamlined it also stifles innovation and has the potential to leave console users in the dust. Unfortunately the industry response hasn't been to simply come out with more PC updates and bundle them together for console users. It's been to make the PC users wait needlessly alongside the console users so that they can save time and money.

Sucks for us but meh.

With BC2 PC numbers already exceeding COMBINED console numbers I think publishers might begin to see a market that used to be amazing and has now become ripe for the picking again. There is a lot of hope riding on BC2 for the pc gaming community, even those not interested in FPS games.

I've always loved the "Free roaming" of all the Battlefield games! It allows you to play the game in so many different ways. In the original Battlefield 1942 I got to the point of playing the whole campaign using only the knife and grenades. Tons of fun!

I'll most likely end up picking this game up (on PS3), when I can find it for cheaper, 'cause I'm a cheap SOB.

I was reading about how you can cover vehicles in C4 and use it as a mobile bomb. Something about 2 guys covering the nose of a quad in C4. Both of them jumping on, rushing an area, the passenger jumping off and driver staying with it in a kamikaze-fashion and the passenger blowing the C4 just as the quad get's into the area they're trying to blow up. Sounds like fun to me! The destructible environment has me interested too.

Just reading about the game and people playing it, it seems so complicated. But I'm sure I'll get the hang of it when I actually play it.

I'll most likely end up picking this game up (on PS3), when I can find it for cheaper, 'cause I'm a cheap SOB.

I was reading about how you can cover vehicles in C4 and use it as a mobile bomb. Something about 2 guys covering the nose of a quad in C4. Both of them jumping on, rushing an area, the passenger jumping off and driver staying with it in a kamikaze-fashion and the passenger blowing the C4 just as the quad get's into the area they're trying to blow up. Sounds like fun to me! The destructible environment has me interested too.

Just reading about the game and people playing it, it seems so complicated. But I'm sure I'll get the hang of it when I actually play it.

VBIED is a good choice against tanks. Was in BF2 as well. Some servers banned people for it in BF2. Probably because the admins where 12 year olds that just wanted to tear everybody up with an invincible tank.

Even in the old BF1942, if you are an engineer you can put your explosive packs in a jeep and drive toward the enemy, jump out and detonate the explosives as the jeep reaches the enemy! Been doin that for years now with enjoyable results!

Has anybody else noticed the the assualt rifles are 1000x as powerful as anything else? One or two hits is a kill. With the PKM, it's north of 10 hits. Gotta love hitting a guy 15 times and him killing you with one shot from something else.

Hope to have my hands on the game this weekend. I'm impatiently waiting for new maps for MW2 as are a bunch of folks.

Now, if I could just figure out how to send messages when I'm logged on. I start typing and all I get is an entry in the subject line!

Anyway, Superhawk138's score in Call of Duty, MW2 is awesome! I am pleased to have finally gotten below being the 6,000,000 worst player in the world. Superhawk138 is something lik 186,000!

I'll buy Battlefield: Bad Company 2, too, and maybe figure out how to correspond on a PS3!

Edited by WarriorJudge

I can't wait to pick up BC2. I was a HUGE fan of BF2 and I liked 2142 as well (except for the body armor that would allow 15+ hits with an assault rifle).

I hope that EA doesn't completely ignore this game after release like they did with BF2. I also hope it's a while until all the sniper and tank fags get good at it and ruin all the servers.

I have played a little on Xbox and was dissapointed. Maybe it's because I suck and can't read the words on my little crappy TV. The biggest game I have been in was about 12 people total and the maps are too big for that few a people. I'll try again and see if it grows on me.

Well, I have not yet tried the game on line. Also, I have my PS3 system tucked away in a corner. I sit in a recliner, right in front of a 19" HD t.v. (Small by gaming standards, but then, I'm only about two feet away from it), so I can see the print and the maps pretty well.

Maybe I'll be disappointed when I play on line, but so far, I liked the movement, the weapons (I have not used many, yet) and the optic on the assault rifle seems easier to sight than anything I've used while playing MW2.

Edited by WarriorJudge

Well, I have not yet tried the game on line. Also, I have my PS3 system tucked away in a corner. I sit in a recliner, right in front of a 19" HD t.v. (Small by gaming standards, but then, I'm only about two feet away from it), so I can see the print and the maps pretty well.

Maybe I'll be disappointed when I play on line, but so far, I liked the movement, the weapons (I have not used many, yet) and the optic on the assault rifle seems easier to sight than anything I've used while playing MW2.

WJ your gaming center sounds about like mine. My PS3 and my PC share a 19" HD monitor with my PS3 sound going through my Turtle Beach headset or 5.1 PC speakers. I've tried to play MW2 on my 42" LCD HDTV but it takes too long to scan the screen for enemies, where as my 19" I can see the whole screen without taking my eyes off a certain spot.

Anyways I hope to pick up BC2 tomorrow. See ya'll online

I sit about 5 feet away from my 52" flat-screen :lolol: :lolol: . Funny thing is, I have damn near perfect vision. I just find that I play better when I sit like that. I used to sit back on my couch, but I swear I did worse when I played like that. It's weird. I do agree on having to scan the screen and having to actually move your head to look around, being a pain sometimes. It's even worse when my controller starts dying and I have to plug it in to charge, with that tiny ass cord. Playing like that is crazy........but I still do it anyway. I should have snagged the 10' USB charging cord I saw at Target.

I have to play on the small t.v. because my kids have taken over my big t.v. with their wii and watching shows I can't stand to watch. So, to at least be near them, we are in the same room, I just play with headphones on so that I don't bother them.

It is a bit odd that I have had to surrender my big t.v. to them -- it seems to always work out like that. If I could sneak another big t.v. into the house, I would, but I think my wife would notice! Plus, I think the scanning of the larger screen would be a pain.

I also don't use a wireless controller. I tried one, but I like the feel of the standard, corded, controller. So, I do have to jockey the cord around so it is out of my way.

WJ

I need to pick this up. I've been playing MAG on PS3 on and off. I seem to be finally getting the hang of the PS3 controller. Battlefield seems to be pretty similar style of play and I can play it on a grown up contoller (xbox360). I'd play on my PC but the keyboard and mouse have killed my right hand. Had alot of pain between my thumb and fore finger, guessing carpal tunnel. Maybe I can talk My girlfriend's son into getting it. He has a ton of Gamestop giftcards. :devil:

I have to play on the small t.v. because my kids have taken over my big t.v. with their wii

Aw man, come on! The Wii doesn't even support HD resolution! That big TV is being wasted on low-res gaming, when you could be doing some hi-res "blow-shit-up!" with the PS3 on it! :D

My parents just upgraded to a 60", so I've been trying to get them to sell me their 42" LCD. I want to use it as PS3-only TV.