Import markings ak100 side folding stock legalities

I am wanting to put a ak100 style stock on a saiga rifle and maybe a shotgun as well and since the button for the folder will be in the middle of the import markings (Russian American Armory) I just want to do away with them. btw both will be NFA items sbr/sbs and have to be sent of for engraving anyway, so maybe I can have RAA stamped only in place of the entire text?

Is this legal? Ive seen pictures on this website where people have done it (removed importation markings and put there own engravings) but I wanted to know what legal issues there were.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Justin

so if I wanted to make a 105 clone I could strip essentially everything on the receiver that wasnt original IE saiga, Russian American Arms, made in russia by izhmash and the get it engraved with the correct markings to that of a ak105?

ak105_2.jpg

All the gun needs is a serial number, even though the serial number isn't on the receiver?

so if I wanted to make a 105 clone I could strip essentially everything on the receiver that wasnt original IE saiga, Russian American Arms, made in russia by izhmash and the get it engraved with the correct markings to that of a ak105?

Like Nalioth said, just don't mess with the serial number (make sure the serial number is still legible after the refinishing and any other modifications you do to the receiver). Every other marking is just fine to remove, and any markings you want to add are also okay (as long as they don't obscure the serial number).

All the gun needs is a serial number, even though the serial number isn't on the receiver?

Federal law requires that the serial number be on the receiver (not on the barrel or any other part of the firearm).

Edited by Frogfoot

Federal law requires that the serial number be on the receiver (not on the barrel or any other part of the firearm).

The Saiga is legal as imported (with the serial on the trunnion).

Don't separate the trunnion from the receiver or you'll be in the deep doo-doo.

The Saiga is legal as imported (with the serial on the trunnion).

Don't separate the trunnion from the receiver or you'll be in the deep doo-doo.

Correct, I should have clarified that, thanks for mentioning it Nalioth. I probably also should clarify that for a Saiga shotgun the ATF considers the trunnion to be part of the receiver, not a separate countable part unto itself. That is why given the same configuration for both (such as a Saiga shotgun and a Saiga rifle both having a pistol grip and a muzzle attachment), the 922r part count on a Saiga shotgun is always one less than the 922r part count on a Saiga rifle. Which reminds me of something I've often wondered about. Both Saiga rifles and Saiga shotguns have their serial number on their trunnion, but unlike with Saiga shotguns, on Saiga rifles the ATF counts the trunnion as a separate part from the receiver (when it comes to the 922r part count), which is something that always seemed inconsistent to me. Then again this is the ATF we're talking about, so I guess there's no point in trying to figure it out.

Edited by Frogfoot

The ATF laws are so vague that its impossible to interpret, they do this so they can say "Its in the laws" and then they tell you what it "actually means" when it benefits them and puts you in jail for 10 years.

Another question, who enforces 922r? also who keeps an eye out for illegal firearms other than the ATF?

I was at the range a few months back shooting my SBR AR-15 with a 7" bbl. A guy came over and was admiring it and started asking a few questions. He then looked at my XDM and said "That's what I carry on duty."! come to find out he was a deputy sheriff. I also had a suppressor, he looked at it and I told him he was welcome to shoot any of my toys. He shot the sbr and pistol with the can and NEVER ONCE ASKED TO SEE ANY PAPER WORK!

Of course he could have got my license plate number and had the ATF run a check on me?

In about 6 months since Ive had NFA items not once have I been asked to see paperwork or stamps.

Edited by JMac