Anyone here have an ex-sniper Mosin Nagant?

I had one... you could see where the side mounting holes in the receiver were welded up...

Personally I was NEVER impressed with how it shot... I got rid of all my mosins... as I NEVER had one worth a shit... Now my K-31's on the other hand... those are DEAD-NUTZ accurate!!!

:smoke:

I've got 5 Mosin Nagants, my favorite is my Finnish M28/76 Target Match, accurate as hell, no scope, just special Diopter sights; unfortunately, they cost twice as much as the sniper ones.

I have to agree with Indy, the K31 is a great gun to shoot, I prefer mine much more than the MN rifles.

Edited by vbrtrmn

The K31 sounds far superior to the Nagant; go figure. ;)

Would I be correct, though, in assuming that 7.5x55 is quite a bit more expensive than 7.62x54R?

Let me rephrase my question: what inexpensive powerful rifle (say under $200) would be the most accurate relative to ammo cost?

Edited by type44q

Would I be correct, though, in assuming that 7.5x55 is quite a bit more expensive than 7.62x54R?

Let me rephrase my question: what inexpensive powerful rifle (say under $200) would be the most accurate relative to ammo cost?

Probably a mauser in 8mm. I see them from time to time at 100$ (yugo) in good shape, they group well, and 8mm can be picked up for 20-25 cents a round, pretty well all day long. Definately the better half of the enemy at the gates, riflewise.

The Mosin Nagant is a basic bolt action rifle, where as the K31 is a beautifully designed straight pull rifle. The Swiss really knew how to make a beautiful and function firearm.

The Mosin is definitely cheaper to shoot...

7.62x54R - 18-cents per round

7.5x55 - 63-cents per round

Honestly, I'd buy another hex receiver Mosin Nagant any day, you can probably pick one up for around $200 these days, maybe less if you shop around or have a C&R license.

Well originally the topic was ACCURACY... I didnt know ammo cost was part of the equation...

BUT... If you have to fire three times to hit what you SHOULD have the first time... have you gained anything apart from more noise? LOL

I would agree with the 8MM Mauser comment. They are inexpensive, CHEAP to shoot and usually decently accurate. as well as the most tried and true "action" ever... why are most modern hunting rifles based on the "Mauser" action?? There must be a reason! :up:

I am not ANTI nagant... just that in MY personal experience, I have never had one that shot worth a shit... thats all...

:smoke:

Ya want a Mosin variant noted for its accuracy? What ya want is a Finnish M39.

Research'em, they are well regarded, and they too fire the 54R.

And you'll find some very nice ones here, http://www.gunsnammo.com/

Current stock is kind'a low, keep a eye open he moves alot of very nice M39s & 91/30s.

• 2 months later...

Maybe I just got lucky, but mine is scary accurate considering what all it's probably been through. Its a 1943 ex-PU, the barrel has been counter-bored, but the rest of the barrel looks alright. The first time I took it out, I was just screwing around shooting at an 18" tall piece of flashing at 400+ yds from the top of a ridge on our ranch. I hadn't even sighted the damn thing in yet so with the sights set for 500m, I was hitting that square piece of flashing every time with cheap surplus ammo while using the hood of a truck as a rest. WAAYYY more accuracy than I was expecting out of a piece of shit $100 gun.