Is it too heavy? Too long? I know it's accurate enough, and the Cartridge is powerful enough (given that I'll only use light ball ammo, which is harder to come by); so does anyone here hunt with one?

Also, to cut back on posting new threads, do any of you PSL owners cut down the barrel length any? There's a debate that it supposedly increases accuracy, but I may just get a LimbSaver Barrel De-Resonator. Those bare bones PSLs are so damn tempting.

In my personal opinion... for a hunting firearm... I dont think the PSL could be beat...

Consider if you will... ballistics right in between the venerable .30-06 and .308 Winchester cartridges... You have a cartridge capable of taking any big game animal on the north American continent!

Load the rounds up with a proper hunting bullet, like a pointed soft point, or better yet, a Barnes X, or Nosler ballistic tip... and you will have a rifle thats easily carried, quick to get on target, semi automatic for rapid follow up shots for multiple targets, and excellent knock down power out to several hundred yards!! ( I dont agree with longer than 300 yard range shooting for big game, as the chance to wound is far greater than the guaranteed quick, humane kill!)

I think it would make the PERFECT hog gun... especially if you have a bunch in front of you... you should be able to knock down enough bacon for a year!! :up:

One other plus... you wont care if you drop it in some mud, or it gets hung up on some brush... or nicked by a stick... or a dent in the wood... Its made to be abused... and it will keep functioning no matter what you put it through! :up:

:smoke:

In my personal opinion... for a hunting firearm... I dont think the PSL could be beat...

Consider if you will... ballistics right in between the venerable .30-06 and .308 Winchester cartridges... You have a cartridge capable of taking any big game animal on the north American continent!

Load the rounds up with a proper hunting bullet, like a pointed soft point, or better yet, a Barnes X, or Nosler ballistic tip... and you will have a rifle thats easily carried, quick to get on target, semi automatic for rapid follow up shots for multiple targets, and excellent knock down power out to several hundred yards!! ( I dont agree with longer than 300 yard range shooting for big game, as the chance to wound is far greater than the guaranteed quick, humane kill!)

I think it would make the PERFECT hog gun... especially if you have a bunch in front of you... you should be able to knock down enough bacon for a year!! :up:

One other plus... you wont care if you drop it in some mud, or it gets hung up on some brush... or nicked by a stick... or a dent in the wood... Its made to be abused... and it will keep functioning no matter what you put it through! :up:

So are you reloading the once fired brass or pulling bullets and using others in their place? Where would you find reload data for that round?

Well, I have purchased unloaded brass from Graf and sons... and I load that. I suppose I *COULD* pull military rounds and reload hunting bullets in their place... but thats not really worth the hassle as all the ammo for mine I have is steel cased...

As far as load data... go to the Hodgdon site, here ---> http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

It is their reloading data center, and theres quite a few loads for the 7.62X54R cartridge there. Just click on cartridge reloading, then choose "rifle" for the "load type" drop down menu, and select your caliber from the "cartridge" drop down menu.

After that...click the "get data" button, and voila... all the loads that Hodgdon powder supports. Loads from 110 grains up to 220 grains. They show data for ".308" bullets, obviously if you choose to use the .311 bullets, you can, as the bullet weight will be the same regardless of O.D.. I found Sierra makes several nice middle weight hunting rounds in true .311. You may find the .308 diameter bullets are not QUITE as accurate, as the PSL rifles are not truly designed for that caliber, but they WILL still work, and in your particular rifle MAY work excellently.

Just looking at some of those loads listed... we are talking 125 and 150 grain bullets streaking downrange at 3000 FPS! Thats some serious game killing punch!!

Other powder manufacturers may also have load data online, and of course most reloading manuals have a couple recipes as well for this flavor.

I plan on useing mine for deer this fall, I got my local gun shop to stock some of the prvi 150gr soft points for me and all the mosin guys.Been playing with some rusian 147gr FMJ I got from the sportsmans guide,440 rds for $80 bucks.

post-22158-1268102105975_thumb.jpg

Well, I have purchased unloaded brass from Graf and sons... and I load that. I suppose I *COULD* pull military rounds and reload hunting bullets in their place... but thats not really worth the hassle as all the ammo for mine I have is steel cased...

As far as load data... go to the Hodgdon site, here ---> http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

It is their reloading data center, and theres quite a few loads for the 7.62X54R cartridge there. Just click on cartridge reloading, then choose "rifle" for the "load type" drop down menu, and select your caliber from the "cartridge" drop down menu.

After that...click the "get data" button, and voila... all the loads that Hodgdon powder supports. Loads from 110 grains up to 220 grains. They show data for ".308" bullets, obviously if you choose to use the .311 bullets, you can, as the bullet weight will be the same regardless of O.D.. I found Sierra makes several nice middle weight hunting rounds in true .311. You may find the .308 diameter bullets are not QUITE as accurate, as the PSL rifles are not truly designed for that caliber, but they WILL still work, and in your particular rifle MAY work excellently.

Just looking at some of those loads listed... we are talking 125 and 150 grain bullets streaking downrange at 3000 FPS! Thats some serious game killing punch!!

Other powder manufacturers may also have load data online, and of course most reloading manuals have a couple recipes as well for this flavor.

Thanks, I never realized you could buy brass for this caliber, guess I didn't look hard enough. In your opinion is there any reason someone would go with one of these instead of a Saiga .308?

@^ Because it looks cooler.

Yeah I would use it for hunting big game out to 200-300yds, maybe more if I were handloading and could get accuracy better.

I used it for hog hunting with the privi 150gr sp's in Texas, but never connected.

I shot a coyote with it a while ago with some Bulgy 147 FMJ, he didn't run too far.

Go for it.

Shane

No reason at all why the PSL wouldn't be just fine for hunting (though depending on what the laws are in Florida, you may need to track down a 5 round magazine to meet local hunting regs). One minor note, the PSL was designed for firing light ball 7.62x54R ammo (i.e. ammo with bullets weighing 154 grains or less). Heavy ball (174 to 182 grain), or the heavier bullet hunting ammo (180 to 203 grain), is not recommended for use in a stock PSL, because it causes excessive bolt group velocity, so the bolt carrier slams into the rear trunnion too hard, causing excessive wear and tear. If you do want to be able to use heavy ball or the heavier bullet hunting ammo in a PSL, there is some company (I forget the name right now) that makes an adjustable gas block for the PSL, and with that installed then any 7.62x54R ammo can be used.

Edited by Frogfoot

Thanks, I never realized you could buy brass for this caliber, guess I didn't look hard enough. In your opinion is there any reason someone would go with one of these instead of a Saiga .308?

Readily available commercial ammo, limited choice of SP available in 7.62x54r, but plenty of everything available in .308/7.62x51NATO.

I just bought a nice S.308-ver.21, that I intend to hunt with.

I wish Saiga made a rifle chambered in 54r.

I dont have a romak but i have a mosin 7.62x54r, great round, i wouldnt hunt with surplus fmj, i shot some aluminum flanges and yea they are steel core because i pulled the steel rod out of the other side with pliers after it cooked through about 2 inches of aluminum but i do love getting 440 rounds of ap ammo for 90 bucks, got to love russian calibers!

I dont have a romak but i have a mosin 7.62x54r, great round, i wouldnt hunt with surplus fmj, i shot some aluminum flanges and yea they are steel core because i pulled the steel rod out of the other side with pliers after it cooked through about 2 inches of aluminum but i do love getting 440 rounds of ap ammo for 90 bucks, got to love russian calibers!

The sportsmans guide.com has it for sale $80 for 440rds!!!!

Hmm it shows 86 and i can get it for 82 with the club price! Sportsmans guide is one of the best places to order stuff from, those people ship stuff like its going out of style, i always like ordering something one a monday or tuesday and get it before the weekend!!!

Edited by eric1785

Well, for one, I think it FEELS lighter. and I like the way it handles better. To me it just FEELS more ergonomic... much better balanced.

The Saiga 308 seems bulky and clunky, this feels like an extension of your being... mine is just TRULY a pleasure to shoot... I like the way it shoulders, I like the way it feels, Recoil is minimal, for the size of the round... and they are very accurate!

I can get brass through Graf and sons, just to name one supplier, but others like midway or natchez probably carry it too. Reloading dies can be purchased anywhere... and as I mentioned above loads are very common. Sierra makes .311 hunting bullets in 125 and 150 grain. ( I know I have them both! LOL ) and they work very well out of my rifle.

Personally... if I saw a PSL or a Saiga 308 laying on the ground and could grab ONLY ONE... it would be the PSL without a second thought, and no regrets.

NOW... with ALL that said... as was also said above... there are .308 variants of the PSL... and if you could score one of those... you have the best of ALL worlds... :up:

would I TRADE my X54R for a .308 variant? Probably not... but if I were able to find one at a good price, and I could afford it I would certainly snatch it up!

Well, for one, I think it FEELS lighter. and I like the way it handles better. To me it just FEELS more ergonomic... much better balanced.

The Saiga 308 seems bulky and clunky, this feels like an extension of your being... mine is just TRULY a pleasure to shoot... I like the way it shoulders, I like the way it feels, Recoil is minimal, for the size of the round... and they are very accurate!

I can get brass through Graf and sons, just to name one supplier, but others like midway or natchez probably carry it too. Reloading dies can be purchased anywhere... and as I mentioned above loads are very common. Sierra makes .311 hunting bullets in 125 and 150 grain. ( I know I have them both! LOL ) and they work very well out of my rifle.

Personally... if I saw a PSL or a Saiga 308 laying on the ground and could grab ONLY ONE... it would be the PSL without a second thought, and no regrets.

NOW... with ALL that said... as was also said above... there are .308 variants of the PSL... and if you could score one of those... you have the best of ALL worlds... :up:

would I TRADE my X54R for a .308 variant? Probably not... but if I were able to find one at a good price, and I could afford it I would certainly snatch it up!

Cool, I had thought about going that route instead of a Bolt action, I love the way they look and getting surplus is a plus I have never handled one though. Gonna have to track one down and get the feel of it I guess.

Gonna have to track one down and get the feel of it I guess.

If you DONT like the way it feels and handles... I may have to question your mental state and capacity to own a firearm. ROFL!!!! HAHAHAHA :lol: