finally finished the conversion, full wood stock.

after a long time of gathering parts and asking numerous questions on this website and getting on everybody's nerves i finally finished the conversion. the only thing that got me angry was that the butt stock did not line up flush on the receiver, there is a bit of a gap :cryss: let me know what ya guys think tho :super:

100_1578.jpg

100_1577.jpg

after a long time of gathering parts and asking numerous questions on this website and getting on everybody's nerves i finally finished the conversion. the only thing that got me angry was that the butt stock did not line up flush on the receiver, there is a bit of a gap :cryss: let me know what ya guys think tho :super:

100_1578.jpg

100_1577.jpg

The conversion looks great. Congrats on a top notch rifle! By the way, you can use a sander or dremel to fit the stock. In fact, any gap on a wood stock is not acceptable.... :super:

100_1578.jpg

100_1577.jpg

The conversion looks great. Congrats on a top notch rifle! By the way, you can use a sander or dremel to fit the stock. In fact, any gap on a wood stock is not acceptable.... :super:

i tried man i did everthing and the darn thing would not want to go in any more, i tried using grease to see where its hitting but with no luck after i grind i would still get the same gap, im stumped. its really bothering me now :killer:

thank you very much, i took some pictures, of the progress, thats on my cell phone tho, i covered the entire gun in masking tape. all drilling and work was done on a Bridgeport Mill. i took the time to fill in the bottom receiver holes with JB weld and painted it 5 coats and heated the paint up to 300 degrees for 45 mins to dry it up. it took some time and i know i learned a couple things that i know i will do differently on the next build. the only flaws on the gun is the scratch from pressing in the LHG retainer and the butt stock gap at the receiver, other then that its factory condition.

Edited by BlackLs1Ttop

yea thats true, its funny after i installed the new FCG i was like is that it? is this the only thing working the gun? it was so empty in the receiver after the wishbone trigger set up was removed. the gun is a simple machine that im sure anybody can figure out how to disassemble and reassemble. i have not shot the rifle yet since i just finished the gun this morning, the gun has a total of 120 rounds through it before all the above was done.

Mine bbl is scratched also where I put my lower HG retainer on but... I'll get over it..

I also have a small gap (like 1/64-1/32 of an inch) between the wood and receiver.. But I think 90% of AK's world wide look worse than mine so again.. I 'll get over it..

Your looks awesome IMHO..

100_1578.jpg

100_1577.jpg

i tried man i did everthing and the darn thing would not want to go in any more, i tried using grease to see where its hitting but with no luck after i grind i would still get the same gap, im stumped. its really bothering me now :killer:

Did you sand down the sides towards the front of the stock? You can still salvage the stock and get it to snugly fit.

i sanded the first step down thinking that was the issue but it was not. the sides are ok, i know its not that super tight of a fit but its not loose either, i rounded off the edges where it fits around the top mount and still its the same. on top of that i did not drill it like i should have and after i put in the screws and came out a little more.

Looks good man, I see that you got your handguard retainer on without tearing it up. I had the same issue with the stock on one of the guns I'm working on. It still has a slight gap, maybe 1/32 of an inch between it and the receiver, I'm not sweating it too hard. When I get done with it, I may take the stock and bang it on the ground and try to hammer it up in there, I don't know.

^^^ thanks for the help with the hand guard i got that sucker on there and since it stretched open after it was on i used the vice again to clamp it together and make it tight. the wood furniture was a complete set, i modified the hand guard retainer in the garage and the gas tube is a factory vented unit that i bought from Carolina shooters and i had to modify the end of it from it attaches to the mount area.

When you convert to a two-piece foregrip, is there anything else to buy besides the gas tube and lower handguard retainer?

i modified the hand guard retainer in the garage and the gas tube is a factory vented unit that i bought from Carolina shooters and i had to modify the end of it from it attaches to the mount area.

What kind of modifications are we talking about? And is this something commonly encountered on wood sets or what?

^^ carolina shooters now sells the already modified lower handguard retainer, but i choose to do it myself since we have a mill, it made things much easier. the gas tube you see on the rifle is a AKM gas tube i think (somebody please correct me if AKM gas tubes were vented or not) from what i hear a ak-74 gas tube is a direct drop in, but if you get the gas tube from carolina shooters you have to do a little bit of grinding with the dremal. if need to know exactly where to grind please pm me or reply i dont mind taking some pics of the part.

EDIT* i think the ak-74 gas tube was the only one that came vented from factory, so mine is a ak-74 tube that i still had to modify so it fits

Edited by BlackLs1Ttop

Okay, if it's just a bit of touch-up with a dremel that anyone can figure out with some common sense, that's fine. I was just wondering in case there were any big surprises. I can't make up my mind if I want to go with wood, or the evil black plastic/metal look, heh.

How do the two pieces attach, anyhow? The bottom one looks like it's locked into place between the receiver and handguard retainer...does the top part just snap on, or what?

the top part comes into place by turning it on the gas tube, that should be simple, correct the bottom is held in by the lower retainer pushing against the receiver, i was lucky to already have the notches on the side of the barrel on my rifle, remove your front foregrip to see if you have the same notches.