Im looking to get myself and my eldest son into sporting clays. I have had a limited amount of hunting as a youth and adult (rifle and shotgun) but nothing consistent, though I love going. I thought getting into targets first would be the best start. I could use some guidance there on building skill, distance, etc. Went to the gun show last week and saw many different options, so I could use some guidance there as well. Out of the gate, my budget is about $1,000 for a shotgun. Since we are novice, is there a good versatile shotgun we should look for?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

Magoo

Magoo, 1st. Start out simple. For clays. Get a Remington 870, or Mossberg 500 12 guage (Stay with main brand name/ holds value). Usually have 28" barrel. $350.00 to $400 dollar range. Can get a good used for less. Do you have a club or range nearby. Most are great at giving advise, common sense lesson/pointers. Our local club has open shoots. Monthly, weekly in the fall. Most shooters/clubs want to pass on knowledge and grow the sport. Most will even let you try their gun for a set, ounce you are known. That way you can get a feel for what you want to spend big bucks on. Been trapping since 12, 33yrs. Go, more for social know. B.S. with old timers. Use a Remington 870, daughter, Mossberg 500 youth model. Have members with high value guns. Get the basic knowledge 1st. Dad still uses 30+ year old 26" Remington 870. Can beat the other old timers with the high dollar guns most afternoons. If no club. Walmart or elsewhere, get a handthrower, case of cheap bulk shells, and a case of bluerock. One throws the other shoots. It's a basic start. :smoke: P.S. Welcome aboard.

Edited by Ruffian72

Ruffian gave some good advise but I will add a something I learned when in your similar situation. While I am sure you would enjoy yourself with the pump action shotty you may also want to consider a good over under. Especially in your budget category. Many sporting clays courses throw doubles and I have found them easier with an over under. No need to pump and then attempt to re-acquire the target and the advantage of two different chokes for closer and farther shots.

Just my 2c. Whatever you choose I am sure you and your son will thoroughly enjoy your time together.

I would not recommend starting out with a pump. You will be hard pressed to get a reasonable over and under with the $1000 ceiling, so I would suggest a used autoloader. Avoid the Browning Gold, look for a Beretta 390 or 391, a Remington 1100 or 1187 you could also do well with a new "economy" auto like the Franchi. You should be able to get a good solid used one for $500 to $700. The problem with the pump is unless you are a very experienced hunter/shooter with the pump - it is easy to "short shuck" or have trouble chambering the second round. Also, and most important, sporting clays is a doubles game and nearly always requires transition between the targets, if you are pumping and moving, it makes it much more difficult to make a smooth and quick transition. Work on it a while with an autoloader, once you start getting a feel for the targets and the game, if you've got the "bug" you can then look at transitioning into an over and under and expect to spend $2500 up for a reasonable entry gun (Browning Citori, Beretta 68x, Ruger Redlable, Caesar Guerini).

Warning! it is addictive fun.

No mag tube extension for sporting clays. It's a 2-shots loaded game only. "Getting in the groove" is fine for combat shooting, but you will be politely asked to go home from ANY registered competition and many clubs will not allow you to practice or shoot for fun with more than 2 rounds loaded.

The league that I shoot on is a 1 shot at a time. Find a local range and find out what they shoot. A good semi isn't a bad idea though, it will help with recoil. You will need a nice pouch to hold your shells. You will most likely both have to have a shotgun.

Edited by Racer 27

No mag tube extension for sporting clays. It's a 2-shots loaded game only. "Getting in the groove" is fine for combat shooting, but you will be politely asked to go home from ANY registered competition and many clubs will not allow you to practice or shoot for fun with more than 2 rounds loaded.

My bad, I've never done the organized stuff, just the back yard-box of clays stuff.

Why not start with an S12?? I have had my 870 for years but only started shooting clays once I got the S12...and I can actually hit them though sometimes it takes a few shots which the s12 has. Granted I don't go to a club but rather we break out the launcher after we do our match shooting or go out on public land. And the s12 just puts a smile on my face...why recommend something less???

Stoeger makes a very decent ENTRY level over under. It is simple, rugged, and reliable.

There are also the ones made in turkey... I forget now what name they were under... Stevens maybe?? THOSE Are some SWEET looking shotguns, and wont break the bank at less than $400.00!!!

:smoke:

Stoeger makes a very decent ENTRY level over under. It is simple, rugged, and reliable.

There are also the ones made in turkey... I forget now what name they were under... Stevens maybe?? THOSE Are some SWEET looking shotguns, and wont break the bank at less than $400.00!!!

:smoke: