My gas adjuster is stuck on 2 and won't turn.

That sucker is stuck good. I clamped it in a vice, had my buddy hold in the button and I tapped on it with a hammer and punch, and it won't move. Any suggestions. A little history might help. I've had it for about two years, it worked fine, I was shooting a lot of 7-1/2 and 8 shot, so I left it on 2. Last weekend I went to the range to try it out-I just converted it, and I took KO slugs. That's when I noticed it won't turn. I still fired 25 rounds and my shoulder hurts like hell.

No, I left it on 2. I just did all that work and wouldn't be denied the pleasure of shooting. I took it apart and cleaned it an hour ago and no damage-I'm not going to push my luck a second time until I fix that adjuster. Will penetrating oil be able to get around the puck? It almost looks slightly cross threaded.

No, I left it on 2. I just did all that work and wouldn't be denied the pleasure of shooting. I took it apart and cleaned it an hour ago and no damage-I'm not going to push my luck a second time until I fix that adjuster. Will penetrating oil be able to get around the puck? It almost looks slightly cross threaded.

yes....just be patient and let it work...if it needs to sit for 5 hours then so be it...put another coat and let it sit longer...if it is cross threaded the last thing you want to happen is to shear the threads smooth...you could always chase them later if there buggered up

If you have been shooting it that long and that much without cleaning it, it's not doing any good to lube it muzzle down. :rolleyes:

That thing's probably got so much crap built up inside it's a solid mass. You need to squirt the penetrating oil in the seam up front, with the gun resting butt down, and tapping on the plug while you hit it with the spray. THEN let it soak like that for awhile. To get better leverage on it, try a quarter that's clamped in vice grip pliers. If you can't break it loose and turn it like that and the quarter just bends, try getting someone to hold the detent pin down, and hold the gun, while you use two flathead screwdrivers with them crossed up left over right, inserted in the two notches, and pry them against each other.

A little heat from a propane torch might help also

Just heat it until you see very light smoke from the penatrating oil. Heat will also help the oil to migrate into the threads.

before you force it out, and possibly tear the threads, check with a good smith.

Edited by saigatechusa

Good advice guys, I'm going to laser cut a precision spanner wrench for it tonight at work, soak it with good penetrating oil, and if that don't work, hit it with a map gas torch we use to sweat copper tubing. Does it spin the whole way out, or is there a stop.

Yeah, I had my friend hold it down with a punch while I tried to turn it. The oil went right through the threads, I'm starting to think the plunger pin is messed up. I'm about to take my 14" pipe wrench to it and order a new plug when I get it out.

There's a decent chance that pieces of plastic got into the threads and then got hot and solidified. Heat might help. Try heating the tube as it will expand upon heating as well as melting any plastic. Try birthday candle wax on the threads as it won't flash off as fast as oil.

Edited by Etek

I finally got the S.O.B. off! Thanks for the help guys, my dumb ass has been cleaning the wrong end of the tube all this time. When I got it off and looked at the puck, it looked like 2 rotten O-rings in the grooves! Needless to say, it got the cleaning of a life time. I chucked up the plug and puck in a lathe and took scotch brite to it after a half hour soak in citrus cleaner. They're shiny now. I also gave the tube a citrus bath, scotch brite, rag, and air line cleaning. Good as new and now I'm wiser for the experience. That's a pretty strong endorsement for the S-12 that it still functioned despite my neglect. From what I noticed, it seems like shotgun powder is a different monster than rifle/pistol. I could be wrong, but I've never seen that kind of mess on my other guns.

When I got it off and looked at the puck, it looked like 2 rotten O-rings in the grooves! That's a pretty strong endorsement for the S-12 that it still functioned despite my neglect.

I didn't clean my gas system for a couple years on my first one, trying to wait for the gun to stop cycling. Somewhere between 2 1/2 and 3 years I got bored of waiting and cleaned it. Took a wooden dowel rod to smack the puck out from the other side. I should of taken a picture of the puck, the groove closer to the back of the chamber wasn't there, just black carbon packed in flush with the edge. Had I not known that there was two grooves I would of never known.

Needless to say I was pretty impressed because I was not easy on that gun....still ain't :devil: