does yours tend to shoot high with the silver bear? mine shoots really high with the 203gr brown bear. mine favored the privi 150gr sp the best

At 200 yards, it's about 2-3" high. I tinkered with the Microclick, and have a special dot marked just for that load at 100 and 200 yards. The Silver Bear does "feel" hotter than the Winchester, though. Haven't tried the Privi, but BVAC(located in my town, BTW) has a 150 gr load. I may have to try those, as the Mosin seems to perform the best with loads >184gr.

• 1 month later...

Naw, I don't really think they kick all that bad honestly. Everyone always says they do but they're not that bad. They kick less than a 30-06, maybe more like a full power 12 gauge. It's not unpleasant and the fireball they shoot is awesome. Aim has them for 80$ but you'll have to pay shipping and FFL... but you can buy them all day long at gun shows for about 100$ and it's the best 100$ you can spend.

They kick like a .308.(7.62-54 is ballisticly almost identical to .308) Gasoline is what the Russians used to clean them BUT use denatured mineral spirits, works just as good and is a LOT safer! I love my M-38. It goes to the range every time. Saved many range days when something else would get 'fussy'. The M-38 always puts a smile on the grumpy old bastards face!

• 3 weeks later...

I finaly picked one up the other day. A m44 made 1938 I think bore looks good. someone cut the front of the stock shorter and turned the bolt down. I pd $59 I have not shot it yet. Cant wait till I get home from Chicago

Love the Mosin Nagants. The 91/30s are really fun to shoot; they "hang" just right for off-hand shooting, at least for me.

I have a Finnish re-fitted M91 New England Westinghouse I grabbed up in a gun store for $50 years ago. Shoots about 2.5 " from a rest at 100 yards in spite of a typically murky bore. I probably cleaned on it for 8 hours or so and still kept on getting black crap out of the bore so I gave up. Shiny lands, black grooves.

The little carbines 91/59 are a blast to shoot but the recoil is so ferocious that I prefer to shoot off-hand or sitting, not locked in on a bench. You gotta roll with this one.

My prize is a fine condition Finn M39 (VKT barrel, 1944), hex receiver with "98" under the tang. Sweet rifle, but heavy!

These are rugged, reliable firearms indeed that will withstand a lot of abuse and still keep on giving. The action appears to me to be stronger than the classic Mauser action because the massive lugs on the bolt head lock left and right, not top and bottom. When the bolt is pulled back the lugs run vertically, not horizontally in the receiver. This means no lug raceways milled out of the receiver walls reducing the thickness of the metal.

Great guns.

JohnM

Edited by John Nicholas
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I finaly picked up a nagant the other day. I have been wanting one for a while. They are fun to shoot. I paid $59 at a local pawn shop. The stock has been cut down ant the bolt turned down. but that is what I was going to do already. I dont know what year or model it is. Maby somebody can tell me by the markings in the picture? The rifeling in the barrel looks good and it shoots straighter than I can. What is the best way to put a scope on it?

post-9518-0-08446700-1322363678_thumb.png

post-9518-0-24229700-1322363699_thumb.jpg

post-9518-0-90688700-1322363725_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

In all probability, an 1891/30. The triangle with arrow denotes Izhevsk arsenal; the mfg. date should be just above that over the chamber; it is not really visible in the photo. The underside of the tang should have 2 digit action date stamped on it. The front sight is not original. The turned down bolt is probably not original either.

John

I finaly picked up a nagant the other day. I have been wanting one for a while. They are fun to shoot. I paid $59 at a local pawn shop. The stock has been cut down ant the bolt turned down. but that is what I was going to do already. I dont know what year or model it is. Maby somebody can tell me by the markings in the picture? The rifeling in the barrel looks good and it shoots straighter than I can. What is the best way to put a scope on it?

If I remember correctly, they only started the round receiver in 1937, so your would be then or later. What is the overall length? a 91/30 will be about 50 inches.

I've got a 91/30. Fun shooter, not the most accurate, but ultra rugged and reliable. Heck, I think i could use it as a club all day long and it would be none the worse for wear.

• 2 weeks later...

i have 2, and they are fun to shoot, and are much more accurate than people give them credit for. i have a '28 hex tula that consistantly shooots 2.5-3.5 groups. a lot of people that say these things suck usually dont realize that when they buy them new, they have to sight them in. all they did to them at the arsenal was refurbish them back in the 60's & 70's was replace parts that needed replaced, dipped in cosmoline and stored. another reason for lack of accuracy would be the condition itself. some have worn muzzles and the lands and grooves no longer extend to the muzzle. many were counter bored for this reason. i try to stay away from the ones made from '43 on up. that was the year when they upped production and started to cut corners on their production to bust them out faster. mainly just the overall finish was affected. it really didnt affect accuracy. they still perfromed just as good as the prior ones but are rougher looking.

for a scope you can do one of two things. remove the rear sight ang put a scout type scope on it, or go traditional and have the stock inlayed like they did for the pu style in the war and side mount it. with this way, youll have to get a bent down bolt handle to clear the scope. not sure if the one you have on it now would clear if it was done in a garage or basement. or you could butcher the receiver and drill and tap for a traditional mount, but i wouldnt ruin a classic war rifle in a manner such as that.

for the price you cant beat these rifles, as they killed many nazis.