I'm trying to make an AK into an AR silly. 013.gif

Normally the scope will not be on any of these (except maybe the RED DOT) on the 7.62x39. Thats why I went with the quick detach setups'. My total on 2 scopes & the Bushnell Trophy RD was $102 (without the mounts) so no money really lost on that.

I like blasting away without nothin but the GOD (MK) given iron sites. I can shoot 100 yards with irons on the 7.62 just fine 83% hit rate so i am happy. The front sight post is wide IMHO for 'tight shots'. And is for BATTLE only for sure.

I plan on the 5.45 being 100% hit rate at 100 yards with irons.

The scope thing is so I can see the target and have a better view mainly. I like to occasionally get fancy and would like to be ABLE to do that 200 yard head shot. And knowing if a zombie or 005.gif come at me from 300 yards I maybe (or at least try) can get them before they get me..035.gif

• 1 month later...

I'm one of the shotgun saiga guys, but I've got some rifles.

With a 2x7x28 Leopold on a 7.62x51 FNAR, I can get 1 MOA at 200 (2 inch group)

With stock iron sights on a 7.62x51 M1A, I get 2 MOA at 200 (4 inch group)

With stock iron sights on a 5.56x45 Colt AR, I'll get about the same 2 MOA.

With stock iron sights on a 7.62x39 SKS this past weekend, I got about 4 or 5 MOA at 200.

I consider myself a middling shot, and am working on getting better.

While ballistics are important for ACCURACY, they are NOT for PRECISION.

Meaning that that 30-06 will shoot 2 inches high at 100 and on at 200, whereas that 270 win will

only be 1in high at 100....but that doesn't say which groups are tighter.

For 250 yard shots, the 7.62 will be less affected by wind, but will drop more. If you are looking to

zero a scope and kentucky windage it for the rest, the 5.45 will shoot flatter since it is faster.

As for the gun. The cartridge, surplus, bargain rate, or premium, will affect the accuracy.

The sights will affect the accuracy. The shooter will definitely affect the accuracy.

But, when it comes down to it, the gun is capable of X. X varies from gun to gun, and from model to

model, and brand to brand.

Always try to perfect YOUR shooting. Sometimes, it is just as nice to wring 2 MOA from a surplus rifle

as it is for sub 1 MOA from a wonder-gun.

Try the awesome ammo once or twice to see what difference it makes, otherwise, shoot budget, and, if

a scope helps, use one, if not, don't.

Kligl..

I did a range report w/video on this 2 weeks later or so.

I managed 5 1/2" groups at 200 yards with the 5.45x39 Saiga (6x32 fixed pwr scope).

I put the Bushnell Trophy RD back on the 7.62x39 and have not re-zero'd yet to refine the 100 yard mark.. If that goes well I will push to 150 yards standing (which should be horrible, but who knows)

Down to 50 rounds for the 5.45 and 350 for the 7.62x39.. May be abit before I can get back out to play.. 022.gif

Leaving the 5.45 (with scope) for 200-225 yards and the 7.62 for out to 125 yards or so 'snap shots'. 027.gif

I agree though the shooter & rifle can make a difference. practice and patience...

• 4 weeks later...

I shot in the Larue 3-gun this last weekend using my Saiga 7.62x39 rifle (yes, everybody else had AR-15s). One stage had long range targets.

•  
  • 4 larue poppers (~12"x18") at around 100 yards.
  • 2 poppers at 200 yards.
  • 1 popper at 350 yards.
  • 1 12" plate at ~370 yards.
  • 1 12" plate at 440 yards

I hit everything out to 200 yards with ease. It took a few shots to hit the 350 yard popper. The two plates took a half dozen shots each but I got them to. My rifle was zeroed at 200 yards and I was probably aiming ~5 feet above the farthest target.

All that shooting was with a 4.5X scope. What this confirmed for me is that these rifles are easily capable of battle rifle accuracy (man sized targets out to 500 yards).

jrmock

• 6 months later...

I did a 250yd or so shot with my x39 saiga this year on a dear, with open sites, cant wait to put a scope on after I get a quad rail fore arm. Check out the post REAL WORLD X39 on DEAR. Mostly I believe it's the shooter not the gun or caliber. I read a ballistic report on the x39 that said; a barrel raised 30% would send that round 1.8 mi.!!!!! Remember the old timers claimed 1mi. kills with the 30-06 during ww-2. check out the drop for an .06 at 5360ft. or how ever many feet are in a mile.