I took my 223 out for the first time today, and ran into problems. I was shooting Wolf ammo, and using Surefire Saiga mags. The first 3 or 4 rounds fired fine, then I started having all kinds of failure to eject and failure to feed problems. Anyone run into this kind of trouble? My first thought was that the rifle just didn't like Wolf, but that really surprises me if true. Thanks!

Actually, wolf doesn't use lacquer. They use a polymer, but that isn't the same as lacquer. The problem with steel cases is that it doesn't form a very good seal in the chamber. As such, it is easier to clog with grit, residue, etc.... And I've seen a lot of accounts that even with some of the ammo that has a lacquer base, like brown bear, that the barrel can't get hot enough to actually "Melt" the lacquer. Again, the main issue seems to be that steel doesn't fit the chamber as snug, and it allows dirt, residue, powder, etc... to get into the chamber and affect extracting.

Guys, it's a fuckin AK... if it chokes on steel cased ammo, there's something wrong. Since it's brand new, clean it really good, then lube it well. If that doesn't solve the problem, try the stock mag. If that doesn't solve it, contact CGW for warranty work.

Did you convert the Saiga? The Hammer to bolt stack up is huge on new conversions. Add to that the Surefire that has a heavy spring and stack up as well and it gets pretty tight. Like already stated lube the hell out of it and use the factory mag to break the damn thing in. If you read there is a thread about a Saiga life span and they mention at least 1K rounds is a good break in period.

Hell it's an AK, this is NOT an ammo issue. Wolf works just fine

:killer:

I've only put about 1,000 rounds through my .223, but I have NEVER had a single FTF or FTE, and I've gone through every kind of .223 and 5.56 that CheaperThanDirt carries.

I put steel cased, brass, nickel coated, and laquer coated stuff mixed up in various brands of mag, from Surefires to ProMags to the PMAGS that I run on my MSA AR-15 adapter and never once had an issue.

I would agree with Fluid Power that once you get the thing broken in it'll eat any ammo you can fit in it.

I've had similar issues with my surefire magazine and Tula ammo (Same as wolf). However, the promags ate the ammo without any issues whatsoever. Welcome to the world of semi-auto, magazines, and ammo. I shot about 200 rounds yesterday. The promag didn't have any issues, but I wound up actually breaking a surefire. (But it wasn't because of the ammo). The ultimate and cheapest means of running your saiga .223, is to use a Dinzag bullet guide, and use Promag magazines with the built in bullet guide intentionally snapped off. The promag will feed anything. And without the built in bullet guide, it's a fantastic magazine. Me personally, I will eventually move on to an AR adapter as soon as Renegadebuck is able to get more manufactured and in stock. But the wolf ammo works great in my promags. It was the surefire mags that didn't like it.

• 2 years later...

I've had a few (like 4 times out of 700 rounds) FTF's with wolf ammo and surefire mags, but only on the last 1-2 rounds. If I could only shoot brass out of it, I would probably have gotten an AR. $200/1000 rds of steel case ammo was a major consideration when getting the Saiga. Wolf does have ammo with laquer on it, but I've only seen it in 7.62x39.

I attribute my failures to the Surefire mags. It only happens with the 30 rounder, not the 20. I'll be switching to Circle 10 mags soon.