Building an AK105 Clone

So instead of going with a US receiver I am going to buy a saiga 5.45 riffle.

Here are all the pictures Ive found of TRUE ak105 carbines;

ak105_1.png

ak105_3-1.png

ak105_7.jpg

ak105_6.jpg

ak105_4.jpg

ak105_2-1.jpg

ak105_3.jpg

3aead59864a1.jpg

I have already purchased a true izhmash folder that is currently being used on the ak105 riffles this I believe is the 5.5 pin but I could be wrong, never the less it has A proof mark on the stock which is a huge plus!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=159841391

pix189203656.jpg

pix189203734.jpg

Found this it has the bulgarian gas block :/ a little different from the russian one But the bbl would be nice to have

d_727.jpg

I did buy a SBR ak74 that was made by Wellco arms. and It has the correct ak100 series gas block on it

pix915716015.jpg

I purchased the correct Front Gas block for this rifle and will be configuring it as an AIM AKR carbine

RomanianAKRFrontSightGasBlock.jpg

So I will have a gas block when I do this.

This is how I would like to configure the gun for shooting

ak105_right.jpg

Anyone that knows alot about these ak105's I could use all the info I can get, I want to make it as correct as possible.

Basically all the info I have is above.

Is there a difference between the bulgarian and russian hand guard retainers?

Does the ak105 take a 500 meter sight leaf? YES

Where do I find the correct trigger guard and reinforcement plate?

What other key elements am I missing?

And yes this is an NFA project I do know that before anyone jumps in and says it. It will be on a Form 1

as far as compliance parts i will use

PG

Hand guard

Tapco G2

Flash hider

I believe that's enough to use foreign mags, or maybe I'm thinking of the s12..

Thanks for any and all information.

Justin

Edited by JMac
Links to Non-Buisness members removed.
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bottom right is the new krink riffle I bought, and left middle is the Tula parts kit I just picked up.     Top left-107ur, Bottom left Bulgarian Demil, Top Right Virgin Bulgy with peep sight dust

Pure value is in the russian AK105 thats were its at!!!!! I'll post pics her soon just got to moly her up!!!!   Go big or go home.   piece meal drives me nuts.

Not true. A rifle is still a rifle even if it's an SBR. 922R doesn't apply to pistols.

It is WIDELY accepted that 922r does not apply to NFA items, so if you are right, MANY are wrong. I can't prove one way or the other, but it;s generally accepted that 922r does not apply.

ETA:

HERE is a decent thread on the subject. It seems that some new guy at the BATF contends that 922r DOES apply to NFA items. This is contradictory to previous ATF letters, but that's common practice for the thugs in charge of our 2A rights.

Edited by bigj480

I am currently trying to make a 104....the hardest parts are the GB/FSB(if you want russian) and the 500m rear sight...

Yeah I havent seen a 500m sight for sell period.. Im hoping that the gas block on my ak74 is russian (its not, 3/14).. have to wait another 2-3 months to find out. The NFA wait is killing me.

Edited by JMac

I was the bidder at $199 on that stock set before you used "buy it now".... I will hate you forever... :lolol:

yeah on things that rare I just bite the bullet... I know where there's another if your interested pretty sure they want 300 for it as well

pm me if your interested

what were you planning on using it on?

I was the bidder at $199 on that stock set before you used "buy it now".... I will hate you forever... :lolol:

yeah on things that rare I just bite the bullet... I know where there's another if your interested pretty sure they want 300 for it as well

pm me if your interested

yeah I didn't want to pay above $199, I already have one installed on my 103 clone. The new one (which you won) was going to go on a 101 build. If I get really desperate I can always have one shipped from GB via Oleg, but his prices are a bit to high. Anyway good luck on the 105, let me know if you need any help.

:smoke:

pm me if your interested

yeah I didn't want to pay above $199, I already have one installed on my 103 clone. The new one (which you won) was going to go on a 101 build. If I get really desperate I can always have one shipped from GB via Oleg, but his prices are a bit to high. Anyway good luck on the 105, let me know if you need any help.

Any pics of the 103 clone?

Thanks for the lifeline, the only thing Im really looking for is the russian gasblock, found one and the guy only wants $800 for it and the rear 500m leaf :lolol: so.. thats not gonna work.. I think I have the 500m rear sight under control though..

btw found a izzy triangle 5.5 folder... want it bad! pricey though

pm me if your interested

Thanks for the lifeline, the only thing Im really looking for is the russian gasblock, found one and the guy only wants $800 for it and the rear 500m leaf :lolol: so.. thats not gonna work.. I think I have the 500m rear sight under control though..

yeah heres my 103 clone:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=50688&st=0&p=472961entry472961

Not the most authentic, and like you I could not find the proper 100 series sight. My next step is to remove the english markings (where legal to do so) and get the thing looking like the real thing. I also am trying to find another 3-6 Izzy 100 series magazines, finding the one that I had pictured was EXTREMELY difficult!

BTW on yours you can probably get the gas block from tantal or from one of the guys on theakforum by posting a WTB. The Bulgarian block really is not what you want, but it might do in a pinch (I mean how authentic do you really need to be right!!!

Anyway please post pictures as your project progresses.

yeah what I was told about the real FSB/GB combo is that since its currently in service they will not sell outside Russia...I think anyone's best bet for the 500m sight it to have a smith take a sporter 300m sight and notch it for 500m and then refinish it to look real...I was quoted about the same for these items...I have a good job but not that good :D

yeah what I was told about the real FSB/GB combo is that since its currently in service they will not sell outside Russia...I think anyone's best bet for the 500m sight it to have a smith take a sporter 300m sight and notch it for 500m and then refinish it to look real...I was quoted about the same for these items...I have a good job but not that good :D

The Russians are happy to sell, the issue is with importing components from Russia that are not for "sporting" purposes.

As for refinishing the stock rear sight, I don't think Ive ever seen anyone accomplish this. Id like to see pics if anyone has had a decent outcome.

pm me if your interested

yeah heres my 103 clone:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=50688&st=0&p=472961entry472961

Not the most authentic, and like you I could not find the proper 100 series sight. My next step is to remove the english markings (where legal to do so) and get the thing looking like the real thing. I also am trying to find another 3-6 Izzy 100 series magazines, finding the one that I had pictured was EXTREMELY difficult!

BTW on yours you can probably get the gas block from tantal or from one of the guys on theakforum by posting a WTB. The Bulgarian block really is not what you want, but it might do in a pinch (I mean how authentic do you really need to be right!!!

Anyway please post pictures as your project progresses.

Thats a good looking rifle! Thinking about puting the izzy solid stock on my sgl 21, broke down and bought the triangle... Will absolutely post pics, but it will be a while before I finish this...

I heard the same about not exporting, this is the current model used by the spetsnaz. That is what I plan on doing with my leaf.

Should I use a SGL-31 or a saiga 5.45?

SGL-31

Pros;

Russian receiver, Handguard retainer notch, correct trigger guard installed, comes with gas tube/upper Hg, lower handguard, Could sell parts and recover cost (front sight w 24mm threads, flash hider, rear 1000 meter leaf, nato stock)

Cons;

No reinforcement plate for PG, High initial price, more receiver markings that need be removed,

Saiga 5.45

Pros;

Russian receiver, Cheap, very few receiver markings in an easy to get to location, has 300m sight that I can have made into a 500m(hopefully).

Cons;

No HG retainer notch, installation of a trigger guard, holes to be welded (no biggie but Ill still know its there), need to find a gas tube and proper furniture, BHO (do the 105's have this? pretty sure they dont)

What am I missing? Which would be the better route? At the present moment I plan on going with the saiga unless someone convinces me otherwise..

Also Ive searched a bajillion times for the ak100 series stock installation instructions on here and Ive seen like 2-3 write ups at least on it but just cant seem to find them again.. any links?

Edited by JMac

Got the below info from a site I cant post because they aren't a contributor..

I need some comparison pictures? Ive owned many ak's but have never payed attention to things like the style of locking lever for gas tube....

The mag catch has rectangular dimple not Bulge oval dimple

Rifle has early style AK-105 double dimple trigger guard / selector stop plate.

Receiver has double trigger bumps.

Selector lever has 12-4 clocking reform, unlike std 74' 12-6 clocking.

Gas tube locking lever is 100 series "stamped" type.

receiver cover is smooth type with reforms on the bottom edges.

Faux " bump start" 4th rivet on LH side of receiver in bbl trunnion rivet area.

WOW. Thats pricey. I always love the way that FSGB looks so Im constantly on a look out for them. However I have not had much luck finding them.

I just noticed the two dimples that were drilled out right in a middle of a block... Whoa Our Saigas are pretty close in construction to these guys then.

Edited by Deussne
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a little update guys, went to my FFL and picked up my SLR-107CR so now I have a bulgy (ak104) to get a little better idea from. It has the 500m rear sight on it and the fs/gb combo although they are Bulgarian.

SANY0387.jpg

Ive got (2) 5.5mm stock sets one polymer one steel triangle both Russian with hardware.

SANY0375.jpg

SANY0376.jpg

Also picked up the correct rear sight

This picture show the difference between the Russian 1000m sight and the 500m one

SANY0380.jpg

This one shows the difference between Russian (left) and Bulgarian (right)

SANY0385.jpg

And the correct Russian flash hider

This shows the difference between the Bulgarian (top) and Russian (bottom) FHs (the one on the SLR is just to cover up the bbl and is US made)

SANY0386.jpg

Next step pick up an Arsenal SGL31 and start the build!

Edited by JMac

Cool project.

Thanks, cant wait for the final product, the only thing Im really missing is the correct russian gas block, all I have is a Bulgarian one, well I can buy one but Im not sure its worth the $ at $800....

no shit!!!....I ran into the same problem with my 104 build :cryss:

Cool project.

Thanks, cant wait for the final product, the only thing Im really missing is the correct russian gas block, all I have is a Bulgarian one, well I can buy one but Im not sure its worth the $ at $800....

no shit!!!....I ran into the same problem with my 104 build :cryss:

Same here. I'm just going with a Bulgy:

7.jpg

I admit I'd like to use a real Russian combo block, but not only is it crazy expensive, it's alot more work - you have to pull the barrel, reprofile it on a lathe, plug the existing gas hole, and drill a new one, then push the barrel back in. Pushing the barrel out with the front trunnion in place is a pain.

By the way, I don't think that 500m site leaf pictured here is Russian... I believe it's Bulgarian:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c17/justinmcmillion/SANY0380.jpg

Here's a real Russian:

modern_izzy_rear_leafs.jpg

I gotta get off my arse and do my -105 conversion too. I'm using an SGL31. Hey let's all do it together:

IMG_9170.jpg

-Thirtycal

Edited by ThirtyCal

It could be Bulgarian but all the Bulgy ones Ive seen have the D on them instead of the U (actually a russian letter that is the equivalent to the english P which stands for "Program")

I have one of the saiga 123 sights that I can use, but I thought the 105 sights were shorter?

Thanks for the input because I want this project to be as correct as possible and that is why Im posting it so all of you that know more about this than me can say "hey that's not right!"