tapco intrafuse stock

hey, newb here. i searched the forum for a while trying to find info on this and came up with nothin.

i got my saiga 7.62 a few weeks ago and had originally planned on keeping it stock, but after takin it to the range a couple times ive got the itch for modification.

i dont really want to go through the hassle of doin a full conversion, so i found this tapco intrafuse pistol grip stock set that claims to attach to the rifle with no modification. i figured with this counting as 2 compliant parts (only 1 less foreign part)along with the tapco intrafuse handguard as 1 part, and a surefire/tapco 30rd mags as 3 parts, i should be 922r compliant.

what do y'all think? it seems like a pretty sweet setup.

links:

stock: http://www.tapco.com/products/saiga/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=160

handguard: http://www.tapco.com/products/saiga/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=156

It will work, I did this also. But like me I feel you will be sorry and want to convert it.

Id suggest saving yourself the money and regret and go for the conversion it really is that easy. If you have any questions just ask. Its honestly not as much hassle as you probably think. Trust me I was one of the most hestitant there is. lol I really didnt want or think I could do it, next thing you know I had my a restored saiga! and its badass!

Trust me it does make a difference in performance.

have you seen this video? it really changed my mind on conversion. http://vimeo.com/2787027

And if you decide not to convert, hey man its your rifle! enjoy it just the same. Just a suggestion! grats on the rifle and welcome to the forums!

Oh and Im not a big fan of the tapco hand guards...as I had one melt to my rifle. boo

I would suggest one with a head shield for just a few more bucks.

Edited by Chevyman097

99% of the people that I seen start out with the adapter stock always end up doing a real conversion. Lots of buyer remorse.

Why spend more on tapco mags when you can get real military steel surplus mags for less than $10 each? This same situation has come up

too many times on this forum and most everyone will tell you to do a conversion and forget trying to bypass it with expensive alternatives.

I assume since your asking for opinions that you want honest info and the only advice I can honestly give is grab a drill and a file and give your

rifle a real makeover.

If it helps any lol...

Look my first thaughts were...YOU WANT ME TO DO WHAT?!?!?! to my gun? psh drill on it no way. You folks are crazy im not risking screwing up this hard earned gun.

Its really not as bad as it sounds.

A little grinding here, tap out weld, repeat on three other welds, paint, put back together.

Its alot harder to screw up the gun than you think once you start messing with it. And the gratification you get from restoring it is a lot more than the gratification you got from buying it. Trust me!

I watched the video about 5 times before I started, then I even had it playing on the laptop as I did my conversion lol.

The stock and handguard you are looking at, come out to $120 ($69 + $49).

For cheaper than you can buy the above parts, you can buy all the parts to convert.

Tapco AK stock $30

Tapco pistol grip $12

Tapco PG bushing and screw $7

Tapco G2 trigger group $30

Tapco Disconnector spring $2

Trigger Guard screws/nuts $1

Bullet guide w/ bit & tap $18

Sheperds hook $3

=$103

If you order from CSS - 5%

=$97

plus shipping =$107

You will also need a can of Duplicolor low gloss black engine enamel from Auto Zone and a can of cheap brake cleaner(for degreaser). Costs around $10 for both. So total for converted gun done by you....... priceless

Edited by sapper1371usmc

I know you said you dont really want to convert, but why waste your money on that stock. It still doesnt address the issue of the trigger and actually makes the stock trigger worse (the stock trigger is designed for the original stock and its upward pull, when you put a pg on the gun, you are no longer pulling upwards, but straight back), and the balance of the gun still sucks. It would be better to leave the gun in the unconverted configuration. If you can spare 2hrs out of a day, and use basic hand tools, then you can do the conversion. It actually takes longer than two hours, but only because of the paint.

Starting in the morning, I can strip the gun down in about 1 1/2 hrs, degrease, paint, wait 3 hrs for paint to dry, place in over for 1 hr on 350 degrees, let the gun cool off, reassemble, and then be out shooting after lunch. Its really that simple.

thanks for the recommendations guys, i really appreciate your input. to be honest, this is what i was expecting to hear.

well, it looks like i'll be converting soon. thanks for the video link chevyman, that really simplifies the process. and thanks sapper1371usmc for pointing out the difference in trigger performance, i think that really seals the deal on converting.

i'll start buying the parts soon, and eventually get my hands dirty. if i have any problems ill be sure to let you guys know, since you've been so helpful. i look forward to posting some pics of my new beauty soon.

thanks again guys, i really appreciate it. this a great forum!

im going to order this conversion kit from css soon: http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-454/SAIGA-RIFLE-CONVERSION-KIT/Detail

i know i also need a bullet guide kit so i can use standard AK mags right? are there instructions for installing this? are there any other parts i should get that arent included?

well, it looks like i'll be converting soon. thanks for the video link chevyman, that really simplifies the process. and thanks sapper1371usmc for pointing out the difference in trigger performance, i think that really seals the deal on converting.

You have chosen...wisely!

xnw754.gif

im going to order this conversion kit from css soon: http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-454/SAIGA-RIFLE-CONVERSION-KIT/Detail

i know i also need a bullet guide kit so i can use standard AK mags right? are there instructions for installing this? are there any other parts i should get that arent included?

There's a conversion guide here which should be about the same, and maybe one with the kit too. All you're doing is punching a divot, drilling a hole, and then tapping it. Make sure you get a kit that comes with a tap, unless you have a set already.

On the Intrafuse foregrip, keep in mind that it is plastic and therefore is not really going to be strong enough for mounting a pistol grip, if you have that in mind. It's probably fine for a flashlight though.

Edited by BaronVonBigmeat
  • 2 weeks later...

well i finished my conversion last night, gonna install the bullet guide tonight.

im really glad i went with the conversion, it turned out better than i thought. and it was alot easier than i thought it would be, the only "problem" i had was getting the sporter plate pins out after the plate was removed, not really a problem tho, after i ground them down to the receiver they punched right out. i even installed the BHO in about 15 mins!

thanks to you guys for steering me in this direction, my gun looks amazing and all the info here really helped the conversion go with out a hiccup.

i'll post pics soon.

thanks again, this forum is great!

It came out great! Nothing like the satisfaction of doing it yourself; plus the enhanced familiarity with the gun.

absolutely. i feel a bond with this weapon that ive never felt with any other, lol. seriously though, im really glad i went this path.