Saiga bullet guide

Hi, FNG.

Im on my 10 day wait for a halfway converted saiga 762x39.

I understand that I need to install a bullet guide in order to use standard AK mags.

do I need to file down each mag even after I install the bullet guide?

is there any alternative to the bullet guide?

and if anyone in Southern California can help me with this, itd be great.

anything else I need to know? im %85 new to AKs

thanks!

NO. Do not file the magazines themselves. File the top of the magazine catch until the rear tab seats correctly on all your mags.

A bullet guide is the way to go. You could make your own, but when you can get the entire BG kit from CSS for $18, its not really worth it.

If you file the mags they will fit nice and snug, but your Saiga may not accept mags that are not filed. In any emergency when you may need to grab a mag off a dead Zombie,It may not fit your rifle. So Filing the latch seems to be what folks recommend. I found that 70% of steel mags fit mine. I have about a dozen so I filed a couple of mags to fit. But I am aware of my problem area if Zombies should attack.

I'm new to AK's (and rifles in general, come to think of it...) too, and I just realized something. Correct me if my understanding is wrong.

The bullet guide is not really guiding the tip of the bullet, per se. What I mean is, the bullet is not sliding along the guide. The bullet guide merely raises up a regular AK mag by 1/8" or whatever, so that the bullet is aimed directly at the center of the barrel.

If that's the case, then the difference in shape between the K-VAR, Dinzag, and CSS bullet guides doesn't matter. It's just raising the magazine's alignment with the barrel.

Also, can someone point me to a guide which shows how to grind the mag release or whatever? I don't want to modify the individual mags.

Just be advised if your rifle is newer it will need a FLAT type guide for the FLAT trunnion notch.

The CSS is the same as Kvars for ROUND. Dinzag makes them for FLAT and ROUND.

I go to CSS for all my parts for conversion and DZ for the BG. (mine was flat).

$26 for the kit from DZ is better than trying to mod the ROUND to fit the FLAT imho.

I'm new to AK's (and rifles in general, come to think of it...) too, and I just realized something. Correct me if my understanding is wrong.

The bullet guide is not really guiding the tip of the bullet, per se. What I mean is, the bullet is not sliding along the guide. The bullet guide merely raises up a regular AK mag by 1/8" or whatever, so that the bullet is aimed directly at the center of the barrel.

If that's the case, then the difference in shape between the K-VAR, Dinzag, and CSS bullet guides doesn't matter. It's just raising the magazine's alignment with the barrel.

Also, can someone point me to a guide which shows how to grind the mag release or whatever? I don't want to modify the individual mags.

Nah, the bullet hits the guide which redirects it slightly upwards toward the chamber, as opposed to directly into the breech face below the chamber. It doesn't effect the position of the magazine. I have never had to file on the mag catch of any AK that I own, although I will say that every now and then I run into an out of spec mag that requires a hard pull in order to latch, or on a couple occasions (I own well over 100) won't latch at all. I wouldn't modify the catch so that it will fit mags that are too large (out of spec) because this is going to mean that mags at the normal or small end of the spectrum will have vertical wobble (the bad kind).

Agreed, modify the catch. Wait on your rifle to come in to know which bullet guide you need (flat or round) and remember you'll need a T handle to hold the tap. There is a thread on this forum about grinding the catch. Can't remember the name, but i've linked it in one of my responses to another member asking the same question.

Found it, but it's in another forum.

catch

Edited by Crsswift70

Before you buy a bullet guide, look at the pix on the Dinzag site to figure out if you need a flat or round one, that way you will order the right one...

Yes, that worked for me as well. icefire can tell you how EASY it can be to install........EHEM!!......Uhhhhhhh......

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed, modify the catch. Wait on your rifle to come in to know which bullet guide you need (flat or round) and remember you'll need a T handle to hold the tap. There is a thread on this forum about grinding the catch. Can't remember the name, but i've linked it in one of my responses to another member asking the same question.

Found it, but it's in another forum.

catch

Any way I could talk you into cutting and pasting that info from the other thread/forum here so long as it does not violate the TOS here? I'm not registered there, and you have to provide an ISP email address (which I do not have) in order to register.

Thanks...

Edited by Palouse

Just be advised if your rifle is newer it will need a FLAT type guide for the FLAT trunnion notch.

Just how new do they have to be?

Mine is an 09 and takes the rounded guide.

It's totally random. Mine is March 09 and has a rounded trunnion. Someone else posted here recently with another march 09 with a flat trunnion. Just look at Dinzags site, determine which one you have, and buy the right one. the price is the same.

Edited by icefire

It's totally random. Mine is March 09 and has a rounded trunnion. Someone else posted here recently with another march 09 with a flat trunnion. Just look at Dinzags site, determine which one you have, and buy the right one. the price is the same.

Yea i know, i was trying to convey sarcasm but failed to make it obvious. There is no set standard for build date vs. features with these rifles. They seem to be built out of a grab bag of standard AK parts, whatever is grabbed at whatever point, gets used for that gun.

BTW, mine is March '09 abd round trunion as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Yea i know, i was trying to convey sarcasm but failed to make it obvious. There is no set standard for build date vs. features with these rifles. They seem to be built out of a grab bag of standard AK parts, whatever is grabbed at whatever point, gets used for that gun.

If you are using Saiga type mags do you still need a bullet guide? Mine is 2/26/09 and has the rounded trunion. Sofar I've had a few mis feeds but nothing to ridiculous. :killer:

If you are using Saiga type mags do you still need a bullet guide? Mine is 2/26/09 and has the rounded trunion. Sofar I've had a few mis feeds but nothing to ridiculous. :killer:

"a few mis feeds" is ridiculous in a new Russian Kalashnikov-type rifle. So you don't have a bullet guide installed but are trying to use steel mil-surp AK mags.. or? :unsure:

Man I can never finish reading what you post that skittles girl is just ...well no sense stating the obvious.

"a few mis feeds" is ridiculous in a new Russian Kalashnikov-type rifle. So you don't have a bullet guide installed but are trying to use steel mil-surp AK mags.. or? :unsure:

No mil surplus mags. Promags and the 10 rounder that came with the rifle. Also have some

surefire mags coming in soon. I think the feed issues maybe result of inferior manufacturing

of the particular ammo I was using. Monarch from Academy. Then again who knows.

Hi I am new to the Saiga rifle (love it stock). I just bought a new x39 and want to be able to use standard AK mags. In order to do this I need a bullet guide and to file down my mag catch on the rifle itself. Correct?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Any links would be great. Everything just seems so spread out that I read one thing and it says to do "A" and another says "B".

I just want to use standard AK mags :(

Thanks,

Charles

Hi I am new to the Saiga rifle (love it stock). I just bought a new x39 and want to be able to use standard AK mags. In order to do this I need a bullet guide and to file down my mag catch on the rifle itself. Correct?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Any links would be great. Everything just seems so spread out that I read one thing and it says to do "A" and another says "B".

I just want to use standard AK mags :(

Thanks,

Charles

Thats not going to work. Its been made illegal to use a higher capacity than 10 rounds in an imported semiauto rifle 12 years ago and it has nothing to

do with the expired 94-2004 domestic ban. In order to use a surplus AK magazine, you need to reduce a certain quantity of foreign parts which means pulling

parts off the rifle and replacing them with domestic made ones. Keeping it stock is not going work with what your after.

Edited by my762buzz

I will be keeping the parts count in compliance. By saying that I love it "stock" does not mean that I wasn't going to make any changes. I am going to be changing out a lot of items on it. My original question still stands.

In order for my NIB Saiga x39 to take standard AK mags is there anything else that needs done besides a BG and fitting the mag catch on my rifle? Assuming that I will be compliant...which I will be. Also, will my current promag still work after doing the before mentioned steps?

Thanks in advance,

Charles

Edited by Iburnammo

I will be keeping the parts count in compliance. My original question still stands.

In order for my NIB Saiga x39 to take standard AK mags is there anything else that needs done besides a BG and fitting the mag catch on my rifle? Assuming that I will be compliant...which I will be. Also, will my current promag still work after doing the before mentioned steps?

Thanks in advance,

Charles

Yes, a bullet guide and filing the mag release is all physically required. If you don't file more than is required, your factory saiga magazine or propriety promag magazine may

fit well enough into the mag release but the front magazine lug needs to be trimmed 4mm off the top to allow room for the bullet guide.