Saiga to Galil safety conversion

Exploring the idea of converting my Saigas to the left side Galil safety. All necessary Galil parts, grip and screw,

left and right safety levers can be had from akpartskits.com for $104.

Anyone done this conversion? Anything can be done, if you're willing to spend the money! I'm just interested to see if anyone has gone this way before, and has any words of wisdom.

The safety operated with the shooting hand thumb, on the left side of the grip, just feels so right.

My inquiring mind needs to know. Thanks

There are two types of Galil safeties. There is the one that I believe is more common, it's basically just 2 parts and you push it forward to make the gun "safe". The second type, is more involved and is a forward to fire configuration. Once you see them, it should be fairly obvious what is required. Keep in mind that the thumb safety can be rather stiff but it's usually fixable by tweaking the right side selector. Here are few pics:

Standard version installed on an Kalashnikov:

post-3401-12685490232453_thumb.jpg

post-3401-12685490663925_thumb.jpg

Inverted version:

post-3401-12685490910194_thumb.jpg

post-3401-1268549102751_thumb.jpg

post-3401-12685491203625_thumb.jpg

Edited by bigj480

There are two types of Galil safeties. There is the one that I believe is more common, it's basically just 2 parts and you push it forward to make the gun "safe". The second type, is more involved and is a forward to fire configuration. Once you see them, it should be fairly obvious what is required. Keep in mind that the thumb safety can be rather stiff but it's usually fixable by tweaking the right side selector. Here are few pics:

Inverted version:

Thank you for good info and pics. Much appreciated!

I think you need to study it first, as I have an idea you are clueless as to how it actually works.

Took your advice and studied the parts involved and their interaction and now have a firm grasp of the entire operation. No longer " clueless " but well informed! Thanks

Exploring the idea of converting my Saigas to the left side Galil safety. All necessary Galil parts, grip and screw,

left and right safety levers can be had for about $104.

Anyone done this conversion? Anything can be done, if you're willing to spend the money! I'm just interested to see if anyone has gone this way before, and has any words of wisdom.

The safety operated with the shooting hand thumb, on the left side of the grip, just feels better to me!

My inquiring mind needs to know. Thanks

UPDATE: cost of all parts necessary for the conversion ( that I have found )

STANDARD SELECTOR: $129

INVERTED SELECTOR: $274

If anyone knows of better prices, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Have thumb/Galil safety on 2 Kreb builds, KTR03s (Vepr/Saiga). Ok, yet the tab that is put on regular safety is more preferable to myself. Dinzag will do yours and refinish very reasonable. See his site. Use Fal/oversize rubber or Ergo grip. Use a S-308 in tactical shoots and as a duty weapon. Just giving a very low cost/practical option. Have 8 AKs, only Krebs builds do not have tab option. :smoke:

• 1 month later...

I thought about rigging up an AR-style safety using a hood that would rotate up and forward, to wrap over the trigger where the regular safety tab sits, whenever you flipped the safety on (lever would move just like an AR) but I don't have the TIG welding skills or equipment to get it done. Anyone tried a similar route or want to give it a try?

Edited by SirROFL

I prefer to attach a tab to the standard safety similar to ones sold by online vendors but it costs me an hour tops instead of the ridiculous prices most people want for such beasts. IMO the non-inverted thumb safety is awkward, and I'm too lazy to cut a hole in my receiver for either type.

HPIM1300.jpg

HPIM1302.jpg

HPIM1303.jpg

I've considered having a Galil style safety put on my Saigas. As a lefty though, I'm not sure which style would be better. Obviously, I'd use my left trigger finger to either push or pull the safety. Just trying to figure out if forward would be better for fire or for safe. :rolleyes:

Corbin

I would do the Galil-style, but I don't trust the pully-system on the inverted ones, and I have weak thumbs for the simpler versions. I'm more inclined to just develop a whole new safety mechanism.

I would do the Galil-style, but I don't trust the pully-system on the inverted ones, and I have weak thumbs for the simpler versions. I'm more inclined to just develop a whole new safety mechanism.

how did you get your forum name? no reason, just curious

I used to go by Seraphim, but when people who didn't know the word said it it sounded more like Sir-Rah-Fim, and then became SirROFL.

Oh, I thought it was Indian for Weak Thumbs or something

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a complete Galil inverted selector kit I bought for $250 a while back that I am not using... if anyone is interested PM me.

Where did you find it? I ordered 3 from APEX, but they aren't inverted.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a complete Galil inverted selector kit I bought for $250 a while back that I am not using... if anyone is interested PM me.

Just sent you an e-mail.

Edited by ARMOR

Inverted version:

bigj480

Were did you find that pistol grip? That seems to be the only part I haven't been able to find.

• 2 weeks later...

Payment sent on inverted safety.

Thank you

• 11 years later...

Hate to necrobump but I got late into this AK game.

It's been a while since this topic has been tackled but does anybody know if this is still doeable? I have a Saiga .223 that I'd like to do this on. If anybody knows of any builders willing to do this, please let me know. I'd pay a nice fee to get this thumb safety done.