Thinking about a POSP on my Saiga 223

Hello all,

I am looking for a Russian scope that I can essentially slap on and start shooting with. The POSP series scopes caught my eye.

I'm not new to Russian glass but I am not exactly sure how a POSP scope operates. Does the reticle move inside the field of view like a PU scope? I have a couple 91/30 PU's and know how much of a chore it can be to try and match the POA with the POI.

Anyway, I was looking at a 6X POSP W/ post reticle from Kalinka Optics.

(http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/rifle-scopes/posp/posp-6x42-d-w-black-finish-independent-focus-and-advanced-german-post-rifle-scope-ak-version.html")

What do you guys have to say about Kalinka and/or the ease of setting up the POSP for my Saiga? Thanks in advance!! :super:

I bought the 4x after recommendations of people here. I am totally in love with it and can't wait to use it. The reticle is etched or whatever onto the glass like a standard scope is so it doesn't move, just have to keep the right eye relief. It is useable like that, and if desired you just flip the switch and it lights up a nice red. It's all steel and built like a house. You can still use the iron sights with these too.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought the 4x after recommendations of people here. I am totally in love with it and can't wait to use it. The reticle is etched or whatever onto the glass like a standard scope is so it doesn't move, just have to keep the right eye relief. It is useable like that, and if desired you just flip the switch and it lights up a nice red. It's all steel and built like a house. You can still use the iron sights with these too.

Ah! It's useful to know that the reticle is etched. That makes me want to get one. I had seen a POSP-like scope on a PSL at a gun show which had a reticle that floated around, and I feared that the POSPs were the same way.

At what distance in does the 4x magnification become a hindrance rather than a help? I'd like a scope that gave some magnification, but not so much that it made it difficult to track moving targets at ranges of 25-50 yards. So I was wavering between 2.5x and 4x.

By the way, did you get the German Post version, or the one with the range finder? Any thoughts on those two?

Jim

Edited by Jim Digriz

I like the range finder better than the German post, but I think it's more a matter of personal preference. The range finder does add a lot of visual noise, but it's "real Russian". It's kind of neat being able to visualize bullet drop.

For anything >75 yards the 4x scope helps. Under than I much prefer irons. One of the great things about the POSP is you can take it off easy and it holds zero perfectly when you put it back on.

The 6x does have an adjustable option for a bit of eye relief but I don't think it's available in the 4x.

I ordered mine from Kalinka, it showed up two days later. It is not the prettiest scope but durable and high quality. I'm sold!

Edited by rob-cubed