Muzzle Break for a 223

The 5.56 doesn't need a muzzle break... It's a hopped up .22 round!

What you're looking for is a flash hider. The most effective is, IMO, the Smith Vortex.

Plus it "rings" when you fire. That's got to be worth something.

Edited by bohound

I have both for my 223. An E German brake and a Bulgarian FH. The brake makes minimal difference but does help the group slightly. The FH is needed if you plan to shoot near dawn/dusk or night. There is a lot of flash off several different rounds for the .223/5.56 I was using some American Tactical XM193 and was getting 3 foot flash prior to the FH. Thats not bad if you want to cook your dinner as you shoot it. :lolol: Its still not as bad as my M44 w surplus Yugo HB ammo.

• 2 weeks later...

Surefire makes a mean comp/flash suppressor. Negates pretty much all felt recoil for a .223, not that there was much in the first place. Only downside is it kills the ears of whoevers next to you lol. I use one on my Sig 556 for three gun and it works flawlessly; that gun can be fired and held on target all day.

Smith Vortex is also a great choice, a buddy of mine has one on his full length AR... found the suppressor at a local gun show and it was cheap enough so we tried it out. Kicks up a little more dust when prone but when we shot with some old Gen 1 NVG's we had laying around (Crappy Yukon monoculars that we bought for airsofting for around 300$) the smith didn't hardly show any flash at all. Great at suppressing flash.

Surefire makes a mean comp/flash suppressor. Negates pretty much all felt recoil for a .223, not that there was much in the first place. Only downside is it kills the ears of whoevers next to you lol. I use one on my Sig 556 for three gun and it works flawlessly; that gun can be fired and held on target all day.

Smith Vortex is also a great choice, a buddy of mine has one on his full length AR... found the suppressor at a local gun show and it was cheap enough so we tried it out. Kicks up a little more dust when prone but when we shot with some old Gen 1 NVG's we had laying around (Crappy Yukon monoculars that we bought for airsofting for around 300$) the smith didn't hardly show any flash at all. Great at suppressing flash.

... And most combat actions occur in low/failing/no light conditions. A muzzle flash is like holding up a big sign that says "here I am, go ahead and shoot over here!"

My $.02, adjusted for coming hyperinflation.

... And most combat actions occur in low/failing/no light conditions. A muzzle flash is like holding up a big sign that says "here I am, go ahead and shoot over here!"

Thanks for the helpful repies everyone.

Yeah I suppose that would be true. Better safe than sorry with a decent flash suppressor.

Laughed hard at the inflation comment too hehe.

Edited by Floyd

Never tried that one. I'm deciding between an Advanced Armament Corp. Blackout or Breakout. The Blackout is a flash hider and the Breakout is both a brake and flash hider. I'm leaning towards the Blackout model for money savings and because I really don't want a brake on mine. That's just a personal choice.

If you're going for all out cool factor the Brakeout would probably be the better choice between those models. They're both availible with threading for a silencer, which AAC offers as well....if you're into that sort of thing. B)

Here they are if you're interested...

Blackout

fh-021.jpg

Brakeout

brakeout-main.jpg

The Blackout is a flash hider and the Breakout is both a brake and flash hider.

Interesting. I thought a flash hider and a brake were mutually exclusive. Is it actually effective for both purposes? If so, I'd snap it up without worrying about the expense.

Never tried that one. I'm deciding between an Advanced Armament Corp. Blackout or Breakout. The Blackout is a flash hider and the Breakout is both a brake and flash hider. I'm leaning towards the Blackout model for money savings and because I really don't want a brake on mine. That's just a personal choice.

If you're going for all out cool factor the Brakeout would probably be the better choice between those models. They're both availible with threading for a silencer, which AAC offers as well....if you're into that sort of thing. B)

Here they are if you're interested...

Blackout

fh-021.jpg

Brakeout

brakeout-main.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. I appreciate your taking time to include them. I am still trying to decide which way to go. For me it is more about looks. If I had to actually use the gun for defensive purposes, it probably would only be considered a minor detail.

It looks like the Brakeout and the Blackout are for barrels with threading that differs from the standard AK options.

Your right they're for 1/2-28 threaded barrels only. The barrel on mine is still as it was from the factory so I was thinking I could get it threaded to that spec and use the AAC flash hider. Mississippi Auto Arms sells a Saiga 223 kit for 1/2-28 threads. One thing I'm going to have to consider if going the 1/2-28 route is the difference in length from the front sight block to the tip of the muzzle. I think it's different from AR-15's, which is what this FH is intended for. That could mean I may not want to thread that entire area. I'll have to check around but I think it'll work.

Then again I may decided to just leave well enough alone and keep it "naked". :)

Aarontwhitehead, if your rifle's barrel is already threaded to a standard AK threading then this won't work unless some kind of adapter exists.

Edited by Angelo