.223 Spire Point Bullets

I was given a butt load of .223 and .40 brass and I'm thinking about getting into reloading. My question is about .223 bullets. I was looking for a soft point bullet to load for my saiga and m4. I ran across both a soft point and a spire point bullet. From what I saw the spire point has a lot more of the lead tip exposed. Will this cause a problem functioning in either of these guns? I'm particularly worried about the soft tip smacking the bullet guide on my saiga. Also are the soft/spire points any better than FMJs? I was thinking about loading mostly FMJs for regular shooting and loading a few soft/spires for self defense but if the FMJs will work just the same for defense I won't bother with the others. Thanks for the help in advance.

I shoot a lot of .223 in my Varmint Rifle and ive been handloading it for years and personally, im not a fan of ANY softpoint bullets! they are the least accurate bullet type there is aside from the old round nose bullets. As you stated in your post about hitting the bullet guide...if that happens you now have a totally inaccurate bullet. If you drop them and they land bullet down, you have a totally inaccurate bullet.

Like i said, ive been handloading the .223 for YEARS, and what I recommend for you to use for plinking, practice and general shooting is the FMJ, because you can buy them in bulk cheap. For your defense/varmint loads, I recommend either the 55gr. Hornady V-Max or the 55gr. Sierra Blitzking bullets. both are highly accurate bullets and both will do high amounts of damage on impact. Also, If you're going to handload and you sink the bullets to the right depth for your rifle, you shouldnt have any feeding issues with the ballistic tip bullets, because they should feed just like the FMJ's

i hope this helps.

-RR

If you want any Powder and load recommendations, PM me and ill be happy to help you out :)