Getting a Siaga shipped to Maryland

Hello all,

I'm very excited about getting my first Siaga, and was all ready to make the final payment, when my FFL transfer said that it might be too much like an AK-47, and thus on the "Assault Weapons List". Now, my understanding was that the Siaga, in its stock configuration isn't classified as an assault weapon, and even if it was, I could just go through some extra paperwork and get it sent to me anyways.

Does anyone know for sure what the rules are for Siaga's in Maryland? Has anyone gotten a Siaga shipped to them in Maryland? Do you have to register it after you do the 922r compliant conversion?

Thanks in advance!

It is considered ak by the action not configuration and there by falls under md assault list . It can still be received in Maryland. You do have to go through handgun paperwork and wait the 7 or 8 days. No you don't have to re=register as it will already be. where in Maryland do you live. Pm me and i will give you the phone number to an excellent FFL dealer who is super knowledgeable.

Edited by leadslinger

It is considered ak by the action not configuration and there by falls under md assault list . It can still be received in Maryland. You do have to go through handgun paperwork and wait the 7 or 8 days. No you don't have to re=register as it will already be. where in Maryland do you live. Pm me and i will give you the phone number to an excellent FFL dealer who is super knowledgeable.

/thread :D

I'm just glad that I don't have to deal with such bullshit laws. Fed gun laws are restrictive and unconstitutional enough.

what part of MD are you in, if your in the baltimore metro I can recomend a greta shop to transfer through. same place I bought both of my saigas

I live in PG county, so pretty near bmore. Did you buy yours online and then get it shipped? Or did you get it through the shop you mentioned?

I live in Baltimore... the Saiga rifles are considered regulated weapons (aka "assault rifles") here since they fall under the "AK in any form" category. So it is restricted to 21+, 7-day wait, 1 a month, etc, just like any other AK. But these are perfectly legal to own and convert back to EBR configuration.

Some people have argued that the wording of the law covers only rifles, and since a Saiga-12 is not rifled it is not regulated under the law. A few FFLs will xfer these like long guns, but most FFLs feel any Saiga is an AK. I tend to agree.

Enjoy your new gun!

Realco in PG and Gideon in Balto have done Xfers for me. Saiga's are 'listed' in MD, and Xfer like pistols - extra $30 dollar bribe to MSP, and 7 day wait, one in 30 day restriction.

Okay dude, time to get the f* out of Maryland, come down to VA, remember our motto: Virginia is for Gun Lovers! While you're down here, I'll help you convert your Saiga :) Seriously though, if you want to and want help converting it, whether or not you move here, I'd give you a hand; you'll just have to figure out what the MD laws are and do your conversion around that.

Edit...

Off topic, but if you get a chance read MD House Bill 52: http://mlis.state.md.us/2010rs/billfile/hb0052.htm

Edited by vbrtrmn

Yeah I gotta admit MD sucks for gun laws. We can legally own nearly anything here (and are allowed to stamp collect) but they make you jump through hoops to get the good stuff. It's not CA or NY yet. I think my biggest disappointment is the "shall issue" and near-impossibility of either open or concealed carry.

• 4 months later...

Okay dude, time to get the f* out of Maryland, come down to VA, remember our motto: Virginia is for Gun Lovers! While you're down here, I'll help you convert your Saiga :) Seriously though, if you want to and want help converting it, whether or not you move here, I'd give you a hand; you'll just have to figure out what the MD laws are and do your conversion around that.

Edit...

Off topic, but if you get a chance read MD House Bill 52: http://mlis.state.md.us/2010rs/billfile/hb0052.htm

Haha, yeah. I come to VA for my mags and have to have online ones shipped out of state.

As an update to everyone, I got my gun, and love it and have started an AKM style conversion!