I got a 5lb box from PROMAG today....

Something's been bugging me...why hasn't anyone patented the drum-mag design for the saiga?

I know MD put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into his drum, which was the first functional one for this platform. Based on the uniqueness, it's clearly eligible for a patent (or was, before all the other models started to hit the market). What gives?

The spring loaded gear drive used for feeding rimmed rounds.

SOF%20Mag%20June%202005%20-%20AA12%20Shotgun%20-%20L.%20James%20Sullivan%20%28Jim%20Sullivan%29_1.jpg

The AA-12 has been eating from a gear drive drum since the late 80's.

For the same amount of time ProMag has been using a curved feed ramp and dummy round in its 22LR Drum.

With the hundreds of thousands of dollars that Mike invested in producing the MD-20 it would make sense to pay a patent office a few hundred dollars to check, submit and protect your rights as a product inventor.

Not doing that would be just plain dumb.

The only logical conclusion is there is nothing in the design of 12 ga drums of this style that is patentable.

Funny everywhere I look these days the AA-12 shows up in a magazine or forum thread. Seems like a lot of media hype for a gun that is not available to the civilian market. If they made a semi-auto version I could see the media push, but to my knowledge they have no plans to introduce to the civilian market. I kinda thought the same thing about the ability to patent the drum, the dummy round has been used in magazines for years, Mike was smart to apply it to his drum but it was more refinement than revolutionary.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey snake your buddy with the guns shop have a e-mail addy you could share ? Or a shop phone would be even better if you could pass it along. PM with the info if you don't think posting the info would be a good idea. Also if a forum supporter could get on the ball fast enough I would rather buy from one of them...at $85.00 or less of course rolleyes.gif

I'll have to let you know something after I talk to him tomorrow. He might not need to sell them bad enough to worry with shipping.