That Russian 5.45 can is a bitch to open

I should have ordered two cans and gotten a can opener with it. After a few hits with a large screwdriver, I made a hole. Then came the channel locks. Ripped it appart, and not the ammo is free. Now I wish I had a rifle and mags to put the ammo into. :(

By the way. I bought one can at $119 not $129 like it said on AIM's website. I put in 99 as the quantity, then hit update cart. I then put in 1, and it stayed at $119 for the one. Saved $10 :)

I've opened several "spam cans" of Wolf .45 ACP, .40 S&W and 9 mm, so I've got at least three of the can-openers. The 5.45 can was no worse than any others, they all can be very tough at the corners, where the rim gets flattened and the can-opener claw can't get a grip. I usually only open the lid half-way (start at the middle of a long side- go around one end to to the middle of the other long side) and fold back the lid and access all the contents from that one opened end. I guess it helps being an "old fart" who's had life experience with manual lever can-openers! That used to be the only way to open a can of soup or beans!rolleyes.gif

The angle grinder works wonders. you can just run the grinder along the top lip surface of the can, all the way around and it pops right off. I went slow because I didn't want to heat up anything too hot too close to live ammo.

• 1 month later...

I read once (7.62x54r) where they claim a 4" angle grinder grinding the top edge, pops it right off! Never tried it.

I can attest that method works great, possibly better than a can opener... It's not something I could repeat in the field though

The can opener is the way to go, if you are lucky enough to have one. I have three. Have you tried an commercial manual screw type can opener?

Good thread! I remember what an adventure that was when I got my first 5.45 can. Hell I tried several ways....even gave it a go with the ol swiss army knife...FAIL! LOL...I wish I had thought of the angle grinder. I finally broke down and went after mine with a hammer and an old 1" wood chisel. Worked great but not as neat as a grinder would have been. I have a can opener now if I ever need to open one in the field.

Good thread! I remember what an adventure that was when I got my first 5.45 can. Hell I tried several ways....even gave it a go with the ol swiss army knife...FAIL! LOL...I wish I had thought of the angle grinder. I finally broke down and went after mine with a hammer and an old 1" wood chisel. Worked great but not as neat as a grinder would have been. I have a can opener now if I ever need to open one in the field.

I was only going to buy 1 can of ammo, 1080 rounds but decided to say screw it and buy 2 cans just to get the opener and make my life easier. I could really use a grinder for car work and sure, its cheaper than a second can of ammo but I also plan on doing a lot of shooting and this saves on shipping.