M'kay, so I've decided to turn the canyon I always hunt into a long shooting range, with steel plates. Ranges will be from 350 - 1000yds. Here's the dilemma - I'm not going to drop $160 for a set of four "approved" A500 steel targets that are already cut out. I'm probably going to go with the cheapest 1/2" steel I can get, and cut them out myself. I'm not going to use AP ammo, and the biggest thing they'll ever see is likely a 300 RUM. The minimum range is 350 so I'm really not worried about the hardness of the steel causing an unsafe condition.

Any steel freaks know what kind or how thick I should use?

Now, would 2MOA circular cutouts be too ambitious? 1.5? My goal is to get better. I know F class uses a 5' wide target. That's not an option, and defeats the purpose.

What do you folks think?

Here's the canyon:

Range.jpg

Use any grade of cold rolled, clean it thoroughly with acetone or rubbing alcohol, and paint it with a good outdoor paint-Krylon is a good inexpensive choice. Stay away from hot rolled because it rusts much quicker and the quality of the grain may cause it to break or shatter from repeated impacts. I laser cut plate steel a lot and I am very familiar with the properties of the steel. Hot rolled stuff has a lot of inconsistencies that make it a poor choice for just about anything. High grade tool or spring steel would just be overkill for this purpose. Hope this is helpful.

i use rail road tie plates ,,, they go under the track between the rail and the tie. they are 9 x 16 i use one for 200 to 300 and weld 2 together for farther out. no you cant take them right off the tracks but a walk around a rail yard or recently worked on tracks may turn some up,,,, nothing like dinging a 600 yard gong!

Use any grade of cold rolled, clean it thoroughly with acetone or rubbing alcohol, and paint it with a good outdoor paint-Krylon is a good inexpensive choice. Stay away from hot rolled because it rusts much quicker and the quality of the grain may cause it to break or shatter from repeated impacts. I laser cut plate steel a lot and I am very familiar with the properties of the steel. Hot rolled stuff has a lot of inconsistencies that make it a poor choice for just about anything. High grade tool or spring steel would just be overkill for this purpose. Hope this is helpful.

Thanks. So I've done the math, and figured I need a 12x36" plate and found this: Steel sheet Really surprised how cheap it is, must mean it's not good enough! LOL

Now I'm looking for 2x2x3/16" angle iron (I need 63 ft jesus!) This joint Angle Iron has pretty good prices it seems, but I can only find two kinds of angle iron, stainless, annealed ($55 for 6ft) or this A36 stuff. The reality of it is these frames are going to get hit, not as often as the targets, but often enough. Think they will work?

i use rail road tie plates ,,, they go under the track between the rail and the tie. they are 9 x 16 i use one for 200 to 300 and weld 2 together for farther out. no you cant take them right off the tracks but a walk around a rail yard or recently worked on tracks may turn some up,,,, nothing like dinging a 600 yard gong!

That's a pretty damn good idea, and I live by a train junction, it's on!

Edited by Shaneman153D

A-36 will be fine, be sure it gets the same clean and paint that your plates do.

Rail road plates are a great idea. Steel in general is pretty cheap until you get into the exotic stuff like aus-8, vg-10, galv-anealed, D-2, 12%+ chromium stainless, etc. I used to shoot dull circular saw blades with my uncle when I was a kid.

For a frame if you go to lowes or is it home depo either one one just does not charge for cut and thread I made some racks out of 3/4 pipe in the random vid thread I have. Some boaling pins hanging from it just get the longest 3/4 pipe and get them to cut it to size made two that stand about 5ft tallx5ft wide I can do a more detailed description if needed but I unscrew the pipe and take it with me after I shoot takes a whole 3 min hehe and put it all in a big pvc pipe with caps on each side

We shoot a 1/2 plate at 550 yards, a friends 7mm STW will blow throu it at that distance but my 7mm rem mag doesn't. I would think a 300 RUM hot load may blow throu also. I'm not sure if it matters to you how fast it gets wore out. I have no idea what kind of steel it is, just a chunk of scrap.

We also made spinners with 1/2" rebar framing. Our next try at that we'll use a longer arm to get the axel farther away from the target. The 1/2" rebar didn't hold up to getting hit.

if your going for a slightly weaker steel target, going safe with at least 5/8" or 3/4" would be good if your shooting centerfire rifle ammo at it. My friend opted for the expensive A500 targets and they are quite nice. unloaded 400-500 rounds of 5.56 and barely a scratch on them, and the classic "PING" sound at 200 yards is very noticeable...so whatever you use, give us a range report, and maybe even a video!! good luck, I'd be curious to know what works myself because I'm damn cheap hahahaha

Is there alot of yotes out that way? Never heard of hooper, ive been out to kahlotus though!

There was in the fall, but I think we've killed all the dumb ones. :chris: I'm currently expanding my hunting grounds toward Benge. Everytime I get on a stand and call up there, I get a pair screamin' in.

Yeah Kahlotus is nearby, surprised you've heard of that!

Lol i had a cousin who used to be the mayor, we used to go out there alot! I live in eastern wa too so i know of some of the little towns got to love blastin those curious stupid ones. What caliber do you use? In the open i usually take my rem700 06.

Edited by eric1785

Lol i had a cousin who used to be the mayor, we used to go out there alot! I live in eastern wa too so i know of some of the little towns got to love blastin those curious stupid ones. What caliber do you use? In the open i usually take my rem700 06.

Yeah I was using a .223 during fur season but now it's back to the Rem 700 in 7mm. Those 162gr AMAXs really put a hurt on them at long range! I've got a video of one I nailed at 500yds in the head (total luck, I was aiming at his vitals!)

Do you still coyote hunt? Where do you live?

Shane