New owner of 7.62 Saiga

Well let me start off by saying i am in California so I am not sure how that will effect what I would like to do.

I just purchased my new saiga and will get it in 11 days (of coarse shop is closed on the tenth day of the waiting period lol)

I Am first of all curious if there is anything I should know about the gun just as a starter, this is my first long gun and looking forward to it.

I also am wondering if someone can give me pointers on doing a conversion to a AK style front guard (i guess that is what it is called, where the front grip can be converted to be shorter and show more of the barrel.) and also the pistol grip conversion, I don't care too much about the stock conversion unless it is easy to do, i would like the new one but don't want to much trouble changing it. Also really love the look of the wood conversion but assume it is expensive so if someone knows were i can by them it would also be appreciated.

Last i am looking for the best scope mount and cheap scope for this gun. I know someone mentioned a bushnell 1x32 scope and that sound good but i would mind just a small bit of magnification.

Thanks for any help.

On my 5.45x39 I did a 4x32 NCStar fixed power scope for $20 from OpticsPlanet

Works great for me.. Grab the Tasco 793DSC 1" rings and the UTG mount 978 (quick-detach)

They also have a 6x32 NC for $27 but that may be overkill. Waiting to test both here on Saturday in the AM if you can wait..

Carolina Shooter Supply sells the lower handguard retainer for wood and the upper gas tube w/flange for the wood also. The wood you can get from maybe Copes or Centerfire or US made from Ironwood Design (2-3 week wait).

If you got with a new Tapco Trigger group (aka G2) and either Tapco or KVAR Stock you will be at the 922r compliant level.. For Cali you need a bullet button thingy..

And no BIG mags in Cali from what I hear/read on here.

Ok well had never heard of 922R before but did a little reading and kinda got it.

would i be ok to order this...

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AKS621-6.html

and

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AKS509-6.html

and not have to do a whole trigger conversion or would i still have to put the tapco in?

only reason i ask is it's my first long gun and I am not that comfortable working with the internals of the gun yet so would prefer only mods that are not too labor intensive.

Ok from some more reading it seems that if i buy US mags and a new fore grip i will be ok?

But all the stocks i am reading are saying that i need to move the trigger forward by a new FCG. So are there any standard stock (or extendable) and pistol grip kits that do not require a new FCG?

and what are your opinions on using US mags to reach 922r compliance?

Well let me start off by saying i am in California so I am not sure how that will effect what I would like to do.

I just purchased my new saiga and will get it in 11 days (of coarse shop is closed on the tenth day of the waiting period lol)

I Am first of all curious if there is anything I should know about the gun just as a starter, this is my first long gun and looking forward to it.

I also am wondering if someone can give me pointers on doing a conversion to a AK style front guard (i guess that is what it is called, where the front grip can be converted to be shorter and show more of the barrel.) and also the pistol grip conversion, I don't care too much about the stock conversion unless it is easy to do, i would like the new one but don't want to much trouble changing it. Also really love the look of the wood conversion but assume it is expensive so if someone knows were i can by them it would also be appreciated.

Last i am looking for the best scope mount and cheap scope for this gun. I know someone mentioned a bushnell 1x32 scope and that sound good but i would mind just a small bit of magnification.

Thanks for any help.

Where are you located in ca. I have the stock, pistol grip, and frint hand gaurd you are looking at on my gun. You could come see them installed. I may even sell them to you if intereseted. I am thinking of going a different route.

Ok from some more reading it seems that if i buy US mags and a new fore grip i will be ok?

Saiga has 14 parts counted for 922r. Using US made mags counts as 3, and the fore grip counts as 1, so that brings you to the legal maximum 10 foreign parts.

Works great for me.. Grab the Tasco 793DSC 1" rings and the UTG mount 978 (quick-detach)

They also have a 6x32 NC for $27 but that may be overkill. Waiting to test both here on Saturday in the AM if you can wait..

Carolina Shooter Supply sells the lower handguard retainer for wood and the upper gas tube w/flange for the wood also. The wood you can get from maybe Copes or Centerfire or US made from Ironwood Design (2-3 week wait).

If you got with a new Tapco Trigger group (aka G2) and either Tapco or KVAR Stock you will be at the 922r compliant level.. For Cali you need a bullet button thingy..

I have the UTG mount 978 (quick-detach) on my SGL-20 using it to hold my AIMPOINT M4, it is a really solid mount and holds the sights zero when removed and replaced.

I post this because a few in another unnamed forum, gave me the thumbs down for using it. Well IMHO it sure beats many other so called great mounts, that cost three times the UTG 978s price.

I have the UTG mount 978 (quick-detach) on my SGL-20 using it to hold my AIMPOINT M4, it is a really solid mount and holds the sights zero when removed and replaced.

I post this because a few in another unnamed forum, gave me the thumbs down for using it. Well IMHO it sure beats many other so called great mounts, that cost three times the UTG 978s price.

I like that mount idea, and the price! and ideas on a cheap sight, nothing great just something to beat the iron-sight (although i am fond of these iron-sights) maybe a cheap red dot or small magnification similar to an acog style scope?

I like that mount idea, and the price! and ideas on a cheap sight, nothing great just something to beat the iron-sight (although i am fond of these iron-sights) maybe a cheap red dot or small magnification similar to an acog style scope?

If your thinking of getting a optic for your rifle, I have this POSP 4-24 that I really like.

SGL-20762x39PlumbPOSP4-24Scope.jpg

http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/rifle-scopes/posp/posp-4x24-w-black-finish-1000-meter-rangefinder-rifle-scope-ak-version.html

I also have a 3.5x35 ACOG but it's best on my AR, not that it can't be used on a AK but I feel the red dot and POSP would be a better choice.

I would stick to the scopes made for the 7.62x 39 bullet, like the POSP shown above. It would not have to be adjusted for a differing weight or trajectory of bullet,as it's already made for that gun and caliber. I'm looking at them soon for my Saiga. just seems easier....

wow ok well just checked calguns.net and apparently from what i read there, despite being 922r complaint, if my gun has a detachable mag (as in i don't put on a bullet button) than it is illegal to have any pistol grip, fore grip, flash suppressor or collapsible stock.

Second it lists a gun called a "Kalashnikov USA Hunter rifle /Saiga" under the illigal no matter what appendix, and is that the same Saiga that i was just allowed to register and a local gun shop or is it different? I know mine is from RAA but wasn't sure.

wow ok well just checked calguns.net and apparently from what i read there, despite being 922r complaint, if my gun has a detachable mag (as in i don't put on a bullet button) than it is illegal to have any pistol grip, fore grip, flash suppressor or collapsible stock.

Second it lists a gun called a "Kalashnikov USA Hunter rifle /Saiga" under the illigal no matter what appendix, and is that the same Saiga that i was just allowed to register and a local gun shop or is it different? I know mine is from RAA but wasn't sure.

I was about to say that you cant do pistol grips in Cali, but that really sucks about detachable mags There is bound to be a way to do it. I have seen a few sites that have "cali legal" saigas just google it

Another +1 for the POSP 4x24! I got one for my X39.

All steel, built like a god damned tank. Mounts in seconds on your Russian Rail. Zeros at 100m with two additional chevrons below it that automatically zero to 200m and 300m. Etched Chevron reticle on glass with windage marks to the side, nice open view so you can see your target well and unobstructed, and 400m rangefinder below it. Flip a switch and it illuminates red for even better visibility. It is THE scope made for the AK by the communists. It's only $169 at Kalinka Optics.

You won't find any chinese toy scope that can do half of what this thing will on an x39.

This is the standard reticle on it, there is also a german post version, which is just a chevron and post.

post-21696-12694186703352_thumb.gif

Edited by Klassy Kalashnikov