Saiga 5.56/.223 mag dimples??

I looked at a used Saiga 5.56/.223 today for a pretty good price, but the main thing I noticed was it didnt have any dimples above the mag opening.

So I started looking around and it appears that most all of the 5.56/.223 Saigas dont have them, or at least the pictures Ive found on the net dont.

Do any of the new Saiga 5.56/.223 rifles have the mag dimples?

I dont know if its a deal breaker or not, but I guess I would prefer to have them.

thanks,

clay

Mine is a few years old and has no dimples. I think they are adding them to all of the new ones. People seem to prefer them and given the choice I would want them.

That said, I use surefire mags and they lock up rock solid. Never any problems. I think the dimples are cosmetic.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't recall where I heard it, probably online or in a magazine (so take it for what it's worth), but magazine dimples were SUPPOSEDLY reserved for military rifles at one point. I don't know if that was for a specific Country or what. I know that several semi-auto AKs were imported with them for years though, so that might have just been early Russian ones or something. Again, this is not confirmed and I wouldn't be surprised if it's not true. It's just a rumor I heard, and we all know how rumors go. :rolleyes: