She has her ccw and carries a Walther p22 loaded with cci stingers, I know, I'm not happy about it either. She has her heart set on a Taurus judge public defender-I got her a .410 pump, and she likes the idea of common ammo. And she also likes the Walther pk380 for it's obvious similarities to the p22. I've been trying to push her towards the 7 or 8 round Taurus .22 mag revolver, or a nice little .38 revolver. She won't budge. So here's the question, out of the pk380 or the Judge P.D. which would you trust more. I trust revolvers more myself-.44 mag Taurus tracker, though I'll probably get the S&W 8 shot .357 or the Taurus 8 shot .357 eventually.

Taurus has a great advertising campaign but IMO their firearms leave a lot to be desired. A good alternative would be a Smith & Wesson model 642 Airweight .38 Spl, hammerless, with or without Crimson Trace laser grips. After a box or two of ammo you can have a trigger job done if desired. You get what you pay for. I am in part going by what my gunsmith sees coming in for repair, or more importantly, doesn't see. S&W revolvers are far superior.

She has her ccw and carries a Walther p22 loaded with cci stingers, I know, I'm not happy about it either. She has her heart set on a Taurus judge public defender-I got her a .410 pump, and she likes the idea of common ammo. And she also likes the Walther pk380 for it's obvious similarities to the p22. I've been trying to push her towards the 7 or 8 round Taurus .22 mag revolver, or a nice little .38 revolver. She won't budge. So here's the question, out of the pk380 or the Judge P.D. which would you trust more. I trust revolvers more myself-.44 mag Taurus tracker, though I'll probably get the S&W 8 shot .357 or the Taurus 8 shot .357 eventually.

LOL...just get her the S&W 500 magnum snub nose...it'll fit in her purse!

I'm with Tritium on the Taurus line. If you can afford a S&W then that would be a better choice for a wheel. I like the way the PK380 feels in my hand but I haven't hand any experience with them on the range or heard many reviews yet. If I had to pick between the two I'd go with the PK380, just remember how much of a pain in the ass it is to find .380 "social work" ammo and how expensive the fmj has gotten. When I first got my Thunder .380 fmj was only about $1-2 more than 9mm. I should of bought a truckload then.

The Judge is a novelty gun. Good for snake country maybe. If a bad guy has a couple layers of clothes and maybe a leather jacket, I don't trust a .410 for velocity. Plus it won't be as nice to shoot. If you don't like shooting it you won't practice.

I carry a S&W Chiefs special .38! Revolvers all the way for Carrying! NEVER FAIL! Lot's of folks get shot by .22's and keep on coming! And a .38 is a better round than a .380 in my opinion. Most defensive shooting situations are 3 shots or less.

I agree folks, a .410 slug is 96 grains and for her to control it, I have my doubts. The .45 LC in anything but cowboy load would be too much too. I dislike the .380 because it's about the same as the slug in weight and power-maybe less. The only revolver she likes is that darn Judge, I can't talk her into a 38, which is on par with a 9mm. I showed her the new Kel-Tec pmr-30 coming out, and she might like that. 30 rounds of .22 mag would bring a lot to the table IMO. I always choose revolvers for the obvious reasons: always cycle, not picky about ammo, you take the brass with you-in case you don't want to stick around, and I find them easier to get a quick sight picture. I'll keep working on her.

Maybe it will be like shoes, she'll have to have more than one. Carry an American derringer as a last resort weapon in the 410/.45LC. The above post about a .38 are practical. Uncle has carried a S&W chief in his boot since before I was born. :smoke:

She already has a pump Mossy .410, a Marlin .22 mag bolt action, and a Remmy 597 semi .22. I got a .44 lever to go with my .44 revolver. I have a feeling she'll go with the Kel-Tec pmr 30 when it comes out. I can live with that, because she shoots with me a lot and is getting pretty consistent.

Agreed w/ other comments above that S&W makes a much nicer revolver than Taurus.

If you can't budget a S&W, consider Ruger too. Also, she may want to go with a medium frame instead of a small frame revolver. They're not THAT much harder to carry, and they're much more forgiving to shoot. A Ruger GP-100, or an older Security Six or Smith K-frame might be a good pick.

If she wants to transition to a small frame wheelgun later on, she can always keep the medium frame around for practice, HD and carry in colder weather. Starting out on an airweight J-frame would be pretty terrifying, IMHO.

• 6 months later...

I wouldn't do the PK380. I bought my (ex)girlfriend one of those for her CCW, and when I took it out to the range on multiple occasions the hammer would drop with no bang. On top of that, the safety is way too easy to manipulate, so a womens purse is not a safe place, and finding a holster is hard.

If she has her heart set on a pk380, i'd say wait a little bit until the kinks get worked out, and an after market starts up.

Look into the Ruger LCR. My wife has one an loves it. I wouldn't describe it as "unpleasant" to shoot but you defiantly know you pulled the trigger. Think there's a 357 version out there too. It fits in the front pocket of your pants pretty nicely. It's a good little gun and I borrow it from time to time when I can't carry my Glock 22 or 1911 on me.

I've shot the LCp and it was painful because it's so small. I'd go with a small revolver or maybe a Walther PPS which comes in 9mm and 40 S&W.

Hello

My wife's favorite two carry pistols are the CZ RAMI single-stack 9mm SA/DA, and the Ruger SR9-C single-stack 9mm.

She doesn't get to carry the Ruger, though, 'cause it has become my favorite carry piece (in Crossbreed IWB holster).

She has many handguns to choose from, both wheelguns and pistols, but likes those two the best.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, you're cheating yourself by not giving the SR9-C a chance before buying....

JMHO

-guido

• 2 years later...

Let her pick it. She will be most satisfied, engaged and effective if she chooses a gun that fits her hands and style. Just like you. If she likes the PK380, that is the best bet. That or the PKS in 9.

Something midsize -compact in 9mm like an M&P Shield, might be a good place to start. I liked the SR9C too. Xd9 if she doesn't hate the grip safety.

Don't write her off cause she is a lady. I have found women to be quicker studies than we are. Also if she doesn't have a lot of upper body strength, a tiny gun is harder to control than something a little bigger. May as well l

Edited by GunFun

I just helped a friend of ours obtain a Makarov PA-63. She actually came to me requesting that I help her find one for a decent price, and I was able to get her into one for $225, she is very happy with it. The funny thing about this is that she gave her boyfriend her G-19 the same day she got the Mak, the G-19 didn't fit her hands and she couldn't get consistent with the gun. She had been at the range with a relative that had a Makarov, he let her shoot and the rest is what I've explained above, so I think let them find their own can work out well if they can be exposed to different guns to shoot. I actually went out and bought my wife a Bersa Thunder .380, she took right to it and loves shooting it, not too pricey either, at the time of purchase.

And yes....the dead has now officially been raised laugh.png

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Wow, this topic is a blast from the past! She settled on the Walther PK380. It's identicle to the P22 and she knows that weapon well. I'm looking to change up my carry pistol from a 1911 to a Berreta PX4 .45acp or an EAA Witness .45acp. I like the rotating barrel of the Berreta with it's recoil reduction, but those EAA's are real pretty.

• Like 1

Of those, the Beretta is more interesting. The EAA I played with seemed pretty crude and clunky to me. It was far too heavy to be a good carry choice.

The PX4 Compact in 9mm looks carry worthy to me, but if you just have to have .45... p.s. make sure to get the "G" model which has the decocker, but no goofy slide mounted safety on a striker gun. You can buy the parts to convert an "F" to a "g"

See here: 

• 1 month later...

Easy pointing and well balanced  SigSaur P238.  Fantastic little gun for shooting.  The big brother P938 was not so much fun to shoot but not a hand killer either. Sexy little "1911's" they are.   The P238 shooting 380ACP is just fun.  Easy to conceal too.

The aforementioned Ruger SR9c is a nice pistol but has a long trigger pull.  It was a contender until I shot the Sig Saur P238. 

Edited by msrdiver

The Judge is a novelty gun. Good for snake country maybe. If a bad guy has a couple layers of clothes and maybe a leather jacket, I don't trust a .410 for velocity. Plus it won't be as nice to shoot. If you don't like shooting it you won't practice.

I carry a S&W Chiefs special .38! Revolvers all the way for Carrying! NEVER FAIL! Lot's of folks get shot by .22's and keep on coming! And a .38 is a better round than a .380 in my opinion. Most defensive shooting situations are 3 shots or less.

That was true when the judge came out, but since they developed ammo specifically for it, the ballistics are definitely solid.