Is my RAAC Saiga .223 California and 922r compliant?

Hey all,

I just registered to the forum, but not entirely new, I've been browsing Saiga-12.com for a bit now. Anyways, my question is regarding my Saiga .223; I have recently converted it from its "sporting" configuration to it's intended AK form, using the Tapco G2 trigger group, Tapco AK Retain plate and Tapco furniture (Buttstock, pistol grip and handguard)

I have also installed the AK Raddlock, magazine lock/bullet button. Note: I have done all the aftermarket installation myself. I am not a licensed gunsmith, or FFL dealer.

I have taken my AK variant to the public shooting range once, being discreet, only to hear other fellow shooters claim that my Saiga .223 is illegal because I have modified it.

Thanks to Calguns.net and Saiga-12 forum members, I believe I have followed the Cal AW ID flowchart and 922r guidelines, but still unsure if my rifle is California and/or 922r legal. Can someone please clarify this for me. Thanks in advance. Be safe out there!

Edited by mrvash

Here in California the gun laws suck and are very confusing, and that leads to a lot of confusion as to what is and isn't legal.

* Modifying your Saiga does not make it illegal in California. That law doesn't exist, I promise you.

* You added a pistol grip, so now you have at least 1 evil feature per California law. That means to comply with crappy CA assault weapon laws you have to go "Fixed magazine" (which you have done by adding the mag lock). Just make sure that it is not possible to remove your magazine without a separate tool, and do not mount your tool to the firearm itself. Also, make sure it is not possible to even use a long woman's fingernail to drop your mag, cause that is a tactic the police have been reported to use to try to twist what is intended to be a legally configured rifle into a felony court case if they have it in for you.

* Since you are running a fixed magazine rifle, it is now illegal for you to use high cap magazines on your firearm even if you legally own them. A fixed magazine configuration + an 11 round or greater mag = illegal assault weapon. Using a Saiga with the factory monte carlo stock with no "evil features" with a pre-ban 75 round detachable AK drum mag is actually perfectly legal in CA, but when you add a pistol grip or other evil feature you have to go 10 rounds or less fixed mag.

* Since the Saiga is a center fire semi-auto rifle it has to be at least 30" in total length.

So your rifle sounds legal per California's AW laws to me. Care to share a pic?

Edit: By the way, nearly every time I take my Saiga 7.62x39 in my pic to my local range I get some guy telling me to watch out cause "there are cops who shoot here" or "Don't you know AK's are illegal in CA?" I calmly explain to them why my rifle is legal and try to educate them, but having people spout misinformation is common and will stay common... even from law enforcement officers. (unfortunately that 30 round mag on my rifle is actually a permanently modified 10 rounder, and my rifle is fixed mag, etc, so perfectly legal here the way it is)

Edited by stix213

Hey all,

I just registered to the forum, but not entirely new, I've been browsing Saiga-12.com for a bit now. Anyways, my question is regarding my Saiga .223; I have recently converted it from its "sporting" configuration to it's intended AK form, using the Tapco G2 trigger group, Tapco AK Retain plate and Tapco furniture (Buttstock, pistol grip and handguard)

I have also installed the AK Raddlock, magazine lock/bullet button. Note: I have done all the aftermarket installation myself. I am not a licensed gunsmith, or FFL dealer.

I have taken my AK variant to the public shooting range once, being discreet, only to hear other fellow shooters claim that my Saiga .223 is illegal because I have modified it.

Thanks to Calguns.net and Saiga-12 forum members, I believe I have followed the Cal AW ID flowchart and 922r guidelines, but still unsure if my rifle is California and/or 922r legal. Can someone please clarify this for me. Thanks in advance. Be safe out there!

Respectfully, you need to familiarize yourself completely with California laws governing the types of firearms you own or wish to own. There are many well meaning, knowledgeable, and helpful people who are members of this forum, but this is not the appropriate venue to seek legal advice.

Please consult your state laws directly.

Hey all,

Respectfully, you need to familiarize yourself completely with California laws governing the types of firearms you own or wish to own. There are many well meaning, knowledgeable, and helpful people who are members of this forum, but this is not the appropriate venue to seek legal advice.

Please consult your state laws directly.

State laws to reference include 12280PC (AW Law) and 12276PC (AW characteristics). The modification of a Saiga is not illegal unless it violates a specific law. If you are in compliance with the parts count of 922r (see little 922r checklist thingy in this forum) and you have a non-detachable 10 rd (or less) mag (Raddlock/BB) you can have the pistol grip/etc. The calguns flowchart is the go-to guide (must be > 30", etc.). I've given briefings to other cops to help with AW laws and identification so they don't misinterpret legal guns as AW's, and I've had to inform gun shops that RAA Saigas are NOT banned by name due to the new(er) importer and CA case law. There is much misinformation out there, and the above advice is important.

I LOVE my .223 Saiga and plan to add an intrafuse forend and get some surefire mags (4 US parts for 922r) but I'm leaving mine neutered for now for the option of high-cap mags.

You can also avoid problems by going "featueless". I've done that with my converted S223 by using an MMG.(Monster Man Grip)

56.jpg

http://www.riflegear.net/p-56-monsterman-grip-ar.aspx

All you need is an AR to AK grip adapter. Then mod the grip to fit your stock.

No need for mag lock because there are no "evil" features.

edit***

I just realized something from reading another thread, I can use "pre-ban" USGI 20rnd AR mags in my S223 with an AR mag adapter. Keep in mind, its "featureless" because of the MMG. And "NO"! There are no laws against converting a Saiga.

Edited by FrustratedInCali
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...