37mm, what's legit and what's not

Bean bag rounds? Wood baton? Rubber ball rounds?

ATF has ruled that possession of a 37mm launcher and a bean bag or rubber shot or similar round is possession of a DD, and at that point the launcher needs to be registered.

Tear gas, star cluster, para flare, flashbomb, chalk rounds, paint marker, etc.

More info here.

Thanks for the info, I was also curious about this. If all of that is allowed, why bother with the DD route? To shoot bean bags and other useless crap? Hell, a shotgun can be loaded with useless crap for much cheaper. If I want to shot an anti-personnel projectile I'll stick to a gun.

Tear gas, star cluster, para flare, flashbomb, chalk rounds, paint marker, etc.

More info here.

Thanks for the info, I was also curious about this. If all of that is allowed, why bother with the DD route? To shoot bean bags and other useless crap? Hell, a shotgun can be loaded with useless crap for much cheaper. If I want to shot an anti-personnel projectile I'll stick to a gun.

A popular one is to make a sort of 37 or 40mm shot cup and load it with paint balls or pepper balls.

With these launchers re-loading is a must, and limited only by the ATF and your imagination.

37mm T-Shirt launcher?

37mm T-Shirt launcher?

Kinda like what killed Maude Flanders? :lolol:

Seriously though- IIRC, one of the main (weapons) charges against July4Patriot was "Posession of an M203". In reality it was a 37mm Launcher... In other words, tread lightly.

Edited by bohound

That SUCKS, well at least smoke and CS are legit. I suppose a couple of those para-flares could help during coyote hunts.

bigj480 I love options, more rules=less options. If I could own a DD I would not be shooting anything other than HE rounds at all times!

bohound-was he in possession of anti-personal rounds or just the launcher?

That little detail I am not sure of. Knowing his level of self professed preparedness, I'd be inclined to say both- but that is pure speculation. One would hope that IF he were in posession of the "offensive" rounds, he'd have the horse sense to keep that in his cache, out of sight.

Knowing the Feds, however... Wouldn't be suprised if some 40mm HE rounds or frags "magically" appear on the evidence list.Who's going to count on a jury to know the difference?

From what I understand though, the weapons charges are the least of his worries.

Tough time for patriots these days, especially outspoken ones like him... May as well have painted a target on his forehead, IMO.

bigj480 I love options, more rules=less options. If I could own a DD I would not be shooting anything other than HE rounds at all times!

I can understand that, I just think I'd rather keep my $200 and shoot what I would likely shoot anyway. As far as the HE rounds go, don't they require a $200 tax per round if there is more than 1/4 oz of HE? Aren't there very specific storage requirements for such rounds? What can a 1/4 oz of HE do? If you get one, be safe! I saw a rather nasty picture of an individual's hand which was gripping the tube of a launcher when it ruptured. If you want to keep your organic hands, only grab the grip when shooting!

Edited by bigj480