So what would you think of a mag conversion?

So I had someone send me a link to an awesome price on steel AR-15 mags, used but said to be in good shape.. Anyway first thought was "gee how can I get that in my saiga", then my mind kinda wandered over to the AR mag adapters. Then I remembered that the gun funds are still low as I have something else going.

But I had this odd idea, we have always had this mind set to make the gun fit the mags... How about the other way around?

So idea is to make front backs and side plates. Weld them on, cut the mag out to fit gun and have them refinished in black oxide. Common problem I'm seeing is that the mags flair out as the metal is rather thin, but with the slabs of steel I'll be hooking on it should resolve that totally.

I have a box of ten coming in next week. No idea when I'll get to it. probably sometime in the summer. Figured I'd give you all something to think about and play with.

If you look at it an AR-15 mag actually feeds very high, which is about what your after. They have guides that lift the round and center it, whereas many .223 AK mags only center the rounds depending on just the right spring tension to lift the round into the chamber.

The idea of this is a metal .223 magazine that is cost effective and has replacement parts readily available and is US made for 922r.

I guess we will see if this works or not.

Personally, I am all for using ar15 mags. I just don't think it makes sense to modify the magazines. It makes sense to adapt and modify the rifle. Modifying the rifle is a 1 time event. Whether you physically redo the mag chamber permanently, or you build/buy a magazine adapter, it's a one time deal. Roughly $120-$150 for an adapter, or a bit more to actually modify the mag well. Then, you are done. Pick up off the ground, buy, trade, etc... AR15/M16 magazines at any time in the future, and they snap right in. By modifying the magazine, you have modified only 1 item. So you go through all that trouble, for probably close to the same cost as the adapter, and you've only got 1 magazine to show for it. Then, when that magazine breaks or is lost, or you decide you simply need MORE magazines, you have to modify more. And if there was a real emergency, where by chance you really did have to move, leave, etc..., and your Saiga was going to assist in protecting you, you wouldn't have the added benefit of just buying, trading for, or scavenging up AR15 magazines which are somewhat plentiful. No, for me, it doesn't make any sense whatsoever to modify the magazine, when modifying the gun can be done one time, non-obtrusive (The adapter can be taken out in 2.3 seconds and you're back to factory mags), and it can be done for about the same price.

I think the allure of having a .223 saiga use AR mags has 2 merits going for it.

1: Mag interchangability. Mag and ammo interchangeability is great stuff. It allows you to more seamlessly go from one gun to another. Modifying the mags to fit ruins this...

2: for those in ban states a easy means of getting pre ban .223 mags for the .223 saiga. Are there pre-ban AK .223 mags available? I mean even the galil mags require a adaptor right? Dosn't modifying the mags to fit the gun destroy the pre ban status?

Well these are all true. But if you want to have 3-4 mags for your rifle its not going to be cheaper the buy an adapter and modify the gun.

Any AR adapter is going to take a trip to someone with a milling machine to get it to fit the gun.

I've been looking at prices as low as 8.00 per complete mag bought in dealer quantity. The mod so far looks simple. Meaning that maybe the cost could be as low as 30.00 per unit maybe even less. That is close to surefire pricing and a similar product.

I know more when I actually get to work on it.

Any AR adapter is going to take a trip to someone with a milling machine to get it to fit the gun.

Not true you just need a good bit of dremel-foo.

Took me six hours of sitting over mine holding my wist in a manor that left it shaking.

It was worth it to have an Ak that turns heads like it does.

Datastick is totally correct. You don't need a milling machine. A dremel tool will work just fine if you know what you're doing. I've already done a lot of research and "Experimenting" on different magazine options. If all you want are 3-4 magazines, then the best thing for you to do is simply buy some Surefire Saiga .223 magazines. They are $27 a piece from a couple of our sponsors on this forum. If you want a few more magazines, the cheapest thing to do is to buy a Dinzag bullet guide for $30; spend a few minutes installing it, and buying promag magazines for $11 each (If you buy 8 of them at once). You simply snap off the plastic bullet guide with your finger that's on the magazines; takes 2.3 seconds; and you now have 8 magazines that work flawlessly in the saiga .223. And if you want MORE magazines than that, or if you already own a rifle that shoots AR15 magazines, or if you want the convenience of using AR15 magazines, then your next best option is to buy an AR15/Saiga .223 magazine adapter from someone like renegadebuck, and install it. The advantage with this method, is that it snaps in and out just like a magazine, so you can remove it and use the original magazines and surefires if you like. Anyway you look at it, modifying the magazines for the gun will cost more and not yield the flexibility that you're looking for.

2: for those in ban states a easy means of getting pre ban .223 mags for the .223 saiga. Are there pre-ban AK .223 mags available? I mean even the galil mags require a adaptor right? Dosn't modifying the mags to fit the gun destroy the pre ban status?

To unpack this:

Yes, there are pre-ban .223 AK mags available - but good luck telling a real East German Weiger from a Romanian copy. I have no idea if the SAR/WASR .223 magazines are pre-ban or not, and other than the Century "sure, 5.45 mags are 5.56 mags" abominations, those are the ones that seem to be most widely available.

No, the Galil mags don't require any adapter beyond the bullet guide. The Orlites just require a side rib to be relieved; the steel magazines may or may not need to be modified at all: they work well in some rifles, and not at all in others.

Sometimes - modifying the mag doesn't destroy its pre-ban status if it can still be used in the weapon it was made for. Shaving an Orlite rib does not prevent it from being used in a Galil; Renegadebuck's adapter requires magazine mods that don't keep the magazine from being used in an AR. Welding locking lugs onto an AR mag would keep it from being used in an AR, thereby making it a newly-manufactured magazine.

Correct. This is merely an idea to make a new magazine cheaper by using mass produced parts.

If this works it could be a way to have a mag that fit stock rifles with no bullet guide or alterations.

If its cost effective is yet to be seen.

OK, I had to know.. So I have a few butchered AR-15 mags and I feel I can say for sure that it is not worth it.

I could do it, but I'd have to cut on the gun and that was not the intent. Plus the followers suck big time anyway.